Telling People to Mind Their Own Business

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2019, 6:29 pm

To Twilightprincess:

As noted in a message here, buried at the bottom of page 1 of this thread, I think the more urgent question is how you are going to deal with the likelihood that your ex is in danger of being evicted. I think that question needs to be decided first (if you have not done so already) before deciding how to talk to his landlady about a point of etiquette.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2019, 7:58 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
To Twilightprincess:

As noted in a message here, buried at the bottom of page 1 of this thread, I think the more urgent question is how you are going to deal with the likelihood that your ex is in danger of being evicted. I think that question needs to be decided first (if you have not done so already) before deciding how to talk to his landlady about a point of etiquette.

He can be evicted. It wouldn’t bother me too much except for him probably trying to crash at my place. There are some shelters in the area I’ll direct him to in that case.

chemicalsandotherpeopleswords
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2019, 10:01 pm

May be way off mark, but if this sounds right to you,

"I appreciate that you're trying to help, but I have made up my mind. Please don't bring it up again. Would you like some tea?"

She'll like it or not, but you'll have been perfectly nice and completely clear.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 10:28 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
In that case, a firm “SOD OFF, B****H” would be the most polite thing you could say.

She is old, though.

Are you not allowed to tell people to sod off after they reach a certain age? :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 10:32 pm

I'm not sure the best way to go about it since there are so many different situations, but I've often thought that a T-shirt that said: "Do Not Talk To Me" would be helpful when I'm walking out and about.

Just the other day I was on my walk and some guy who was either drunk or on drugs walked toward me. He mumbled something and I told him I couldn't hear (I wear earplugs on my walks so it was a true statement since I didn't say I was deaf). I heard him ask for a light when I walked quickly past making sure he wasn't following me. I just want to walk by myself.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2019, 8:18 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Fnord wrote:
In that case, a firm “SOD OFF, B****H” would be the most polite thing you could say.

She is old, though.

Are you not allowed to tell people to sod off after they reach a certain age? :lol:

Maybe.

It wouldn’t feel right, to me, unless the person was being intentionally hurtful.