Anytime any day (yes thats right) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Even here 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Theamazingeek87 needs a new poll to climb 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19

Theamazinggeek
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2020, 9:17 pm

Do you copy cat interests, hobbies, opinions when in crowds to fit in.? How often?

I ask because i see it often?
Some say its our mentality
Some say its mob psychology
Some say its pressure
Some say its the fitting in anxiety.

Unlike the net we cant be anonymous in large crowds

"Im search of answers, new marvels, and new questions to ask."

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 9:36 pm

I don't and never have really. If it interests me personally I will join in, but most of the time I won't. I never really have been into fasions, and the group hobby/interest mentality which has seasons that seemingly one minute a certain thing is the "In thing" and the next minute everyone moves on... Well this sort of thing I don't take to. For me, if I latch onto a hobby, I latch onto it. I have two main hobbies which I have had nearly all my life. One is more domenant then the other. I occasionally tried side hobbies but they don't last... But the two main hobbies have been so encompassing that I have always known them and have not let them go.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 9:59 pm

Your title thru me for a little loop. Do you copy cat interest? What are cat interest? The only property of a cat that I observe is curiosity. Cats have hobbies??? opinions???? Still lost. Maybe "cat" is an acronyms? Computerized Axial Tomography - no that is not it. Caterpillar as in construction equipment - maybe, no that is not it. CAT as in cool person (very prominent slang in the Beatnik age) - no. Oh, I see now. The question is "Do you copycat interests, hobbies , opinions when in a crowd?" That makes some sense.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 10:06 pm

i tend to not wanna do what the crowd does, but sometimes by their overwhelming numbers i end up swept along with them just the same. :oops:

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 10:24 pm

I cannot remember ever having done this in my life. Sometimes I will agree to do something everyone else wants to do instead of what I want to do, if it's a group activity or something, simply because I don't want to make a fuss, but I don't bother pretending that it actually is what I want to do. And if I'm strongly opposed to something, I hold my ground. I have tried some things because they are popular (but again, nothing I know I don't want to do like smoking or drinking, I mean things like watching a few episodes of a TV show because I hear a lot of people talking about it) but I don't pretend to like them if I don't.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 2:21 pm

I used to do this a lot since i am scared of being bullied. But nowadays i feel stronger than i was when i was younger and sort of want to be myself. I am sick of trying to fit in with people.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 2:36 pm

I don't really copy cat no...

But I have gotten into things introduced to me by other people. Like my boyfriend likes painting warhammer miniatures, and being someone who quite enjoys fantasy and sci-fi stuff...I couldn't help getting interested myself. But yeah its not like I'm just trying to copy him I actually think its a cool hobby and I think he could see through it if I was faking interest.

I don't think I could get into something just because other people are into it though, there has to be something about it that catches my interest.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 3:05 pm

I never knew cats had interests, hobbies, or opinions, whether they're in a crowd or not. So how could I copy them?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 4:01 pm

Well, my sister's cat's interests include sleeping a lot and catching birds. I like the sleeping, but have no interest in birds myself.

I am very set in my ways. I like what I like very much and I dislike what I dislike very much. I'll give you an example. My friends invited me along to a concert to cheer me up. It was a band I absolutely hate. I wracked my brain to think of an excuse not to go. It did not cheer me up. It added stress to how I was already feeling. Dear reader... I did not go.

I can't go along with the crowd in a lot of ways, because I just honestly dislike what the crowd likes. I'm not a hipster. I'm not deliberately pretentious. I just like what I like and I struggle to find others who like the same things.

I can't pretend to enjoy myself at a thing I don't like just for the sake of pleasing others. I'd rather just stay home. If I'm out with people and they want to go along to something I don't like I will just go home rather than suffer it.

I assume that this lack of ability to compromise was one of the things that is a big obvious "she's autistic flag."

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 8:58 pm

No. I look for others with the same interests.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2020, 9:44 pm

Sometimes I do. I prefer asking other people what they're interested in and going from there. Working a crowd--i.e., going from person to person superficially, is one of the things I hate the most about popular group manners. Instead, I like to treat each person like they're the only one in the room and let them speak.

It really works, and is easier than finding folks with the same interests as I have. (I know very few people who want to sit around and talk about Art Nouveau interiors, Catholicism, vacuum tubes, green technology, firearms, windup victrolas, or the workings of the Model T Ford transmission.)

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2020, 9:51 pm

No. That's the path to hypocritical conformity and, taken far enough, fascism.

Archmage Arcane
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2020, 9:57 am

No. I thought ASD and following the crowd were mutually exclusive. The only time I've ever followed a group is when we were all equally weird before we met.

@fnord - The cats I had were seriously into birdwatching. One was into skiing (down the snow-covered roof and landed in the bushes). Same one also did spectacular gymnastics (catching cicadas in midair). Rabbit is into personal privacy. He helps me destroy documents. Also enjoys hay and green salad.

@Benjamin the Donkey - Yep.

Archmage Arcane
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2020, 10:12 am

As to copy-catting interests when in a social situation, I have enough social skills to manage a passing interest in what someone is talking about. If it's interesting enough, I might learn something (which is not copy-carting, rather it's natural curiosity). If another person happens on one of my many interests, I have to try to measure out information and keep an eye out for the NT signals that they've had enough. People who know me manage this better than people who don't, but over the years I've gotten better about inundating people with info on a special interest.

Best place for me to blend in is an amateur radio club meeting... after I'm done officiating at the meeting (president of the club :-| ).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 10:23 am

I must be very literal. I read this as "Do you copy cat interests...", meaning --- do I pretend to be interested in cats?

My interest in cats is genuine.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2020, 9:45 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I must be very literal. I read this as "Do you copy cat interests...", meaning --- do I pretend to be interested in cats? My interest in cats is genuine.

you have an artistic mind. :star: