Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2014, 5:35 pm

I've had my fair share of outbursts throughout my life, but it seems that I'm getting more argumentative every day. Whether I feel provoked because a family member is calling attention to my flaws or I'm just in a bad mood, I just yell or snark about how I feel. This doesn't seem to happen very often in public, but the fact that it happens at all really concerns me. I don't think I can get a long-term job or make long-term friends if I'm prone to flying off the handle. What should I do?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2014, 5:59 pm

I'm a programmer. In spite of all the implied angst & isolation, my bosses have only ever been crazier than I. One fired me over the phone on a Saturday, later to keep my personal LCD monitor, laptop PSU and notes all week and return them at my house. Employers force themselves to view everyone as liabilities or corporations unto themselves, it's not as if autistics are the only ones kept down by this toxic culture.

If your family treated you the same way, I'm here to inform you your indignation is perfectly justified. If you're cornered, you're cornered; responding peacefully is all that really matters, but it's usually someone else's actual problem if you have to be loud about your peaceful responses.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2014, 10:03 pm

LonelyJar wrote:
I've had my fair share of outbursts throughout my life, but it seems that I'm getting more argumentative every day. Whether I feel provoked because a family member is calling attention to my flaws or I'm just in a bad mood, I just yell or snark about how I feel. This doesn't seem to happen very often in public, but the fact that it happens at all really concerns me. I don't think I can get a long-term job or make long-term friends if I'm prone to flying off the handle. What should I do?

You're right, it's a problem. Therapists deal with this all the time; the problem will be finding one who understands adult AS as well. Do you live in a large city?

idntonkw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2020, 11:27 pm

LonelyJar wrote:

I ended up doing the same with family and at work! It was like I figured it out and was proud for telling people off. Then people used it to trash talk about me and did not like me afterward. Ruined family relationships. Looking back, deciding to let people do whatever they want and not explain to them why it's wrong, would have been a better course of action. People can decide what to do and what to say and they are responsible for the repercussions, so you can let them do that and it's better for you not to try to stand in their way as it's their freedom to decide how to live their life.