Improvements for social skills therapies?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2020, 5:21 pm

I agree that “scripted lines” don’t work.

The “socially inexperienced” must obtain “real life” experience, preferably alongside people who have their best interests at heart.

irreversibility
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jul 2020, 8:54 am

Hey! It's the thread that got me to stop lurking!

The topic here is the question that I am struggling with. I agree with you that services for adults are lacking. There is a social skills class taught in next city, but I've found nothing specifically for Aspergers near me.
But, as [shortfatbalduglyman] mentioned earlier, Toastmasters is an option. I've been an active club member since last December and have found it very helpful. The meetings are highly structured with clearly defined roles. You can practice at home till you feel comfortable. The speech projects are designed to make you think, so you learn both by writing speeches and giving speeches. Clubs are all volunteer, so fees are lower than a program with a paid facilitator.
Each club is different. I've not mentioned Aspergers and no one has given me any trouble for my quirks. You have to be self motivated to get the projects done.
As a non-ideal solution, it has given me a structure to attack many specific issues (like facial expressions while speaking).
I still wish I had something more tailored to 'me', I'll keep looking at reading! Please keep posting!