Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 10:04 pm

To this party that is being held at the park tonight? I really need to make friends here, but every time I go to one of these places I get depressed because noone will talk to me. I'm afraid that if I go I'll just end up more depressed. I don't know anyone here, and white people (such as myself) are generally discriminated against here (most of the people working here are imported from other countries and refuse to speak to people of different nationalities.) I really don't want to go, but I feel like if I don't I could be passing up a chance at making friends. What should I do?

Rinai
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2007, 10:07 pm

Well, if the odds are really as against you as you make them out to be and you dont wanna go then I wouldnt. But if you think there is some chance you could make some friends there I would go. As I read in a thread a moment ago sometimes you gotta do social screwups to get things right.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Jul 2007, 10:09 pm

It doesn't sound too promising, but you don't know unless you try...

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 10:20 pm

well, at least if you go, you won't be dissappointed if nothing pans out...

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 10:55 pm

The chances of connecting well to other people in surroundings you so hate seem low. Perhaps to make friends you could try to start a band, or find another setting where people can actually talk to each other, and/or where there will likely be common interests.

If you think you should go, go, but. . . it's not the only way.

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 11:23 pm

I didn't go. I'd be embarassed since I'm without a doubt be the worst looking guy there. I just want to hide alone in my room all the time.

Luckily, my roommate went to his girlfriends apartment tonight so I don't have to listen to his sh***y acoustic guitar playing and his ret*d "south park" dvds.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

24 Jul 2007, 11:34 pm

Sounds like that decision was for the best, but I don't think you have anything to be ashamed about, looks-wise.

That's funny though, about your roommate. I'd be glad to get him out of the house, too, if I were you. :P

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 11:46 am

Todd489, there are places that have nice, friendly people and places that have mean, hostile people. I mean, you might wanna go to an environment where people are nice/outgoing and will welcome and socialize with you.

Even if the people you meet are nice and sociable, you must slowly and carefully assess them before considering them your friends. If you try to rush friendship, you might end up w/ people who will exploit, manipulate, hurt, or try to get you into deep trouble. The friendship process will take lots of time and this requires patience but you can do this.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Jul 2007, 3:04 pm

i always hated going to partys, its worse if eveyones smoking weed. i get paranoid around people when i smoke that stuff, and worry about what im going to say and sh-t. its freaking terrible