A stranger on Facebook has asked me to help him speak Englis

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 3:14 pm

So I replied to a video on a Facebook page I'm following, and this random man with a foreign name replied to my post asking me if I spoke native English, which I said yes (my post or the video had nothing to do with language). Then he replied asking if I can teach him to speak better English (obviously he was speaking English when asking me but he might just know the basics). So I told him that I don't know him very well, and then he started making me feel guilty by saying that everyone else he asked on the internet turned him down. Now he's sent me a friend request.

I like to help people, but I'm not sure if this guy is genuine or not. How do I know he's not some sort of hacker or something, posing as a person that needs help learning English?
What would you do? Would it be gullible of me to accept his friend request and help him?

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jul 2020, 5:21 pm

I'm really into languages so I like those kinds of exchanges, as long as they teach me their native language too. There is an app called HelloTalk dedicated to this. But IMHO if you are uncomfortable don't do it, and if you already turned him down he should respect your wishes otherwise he's out of line to continue bothering you, I've also gotten sketchy friend requests that turned out to be scammers so I understand your hesitation.

EDIT: On second read the circumstances of him messaging you out of the blue are kind of weird. Did the video or page have anything to do with learning English?

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 5:31 pm

Quote:
Did the video or page have anything to do with learning English?

No, it was a video posted by a (English) woman with COVID in hospital. It was completely unrelated to learning English. All I did was comment something like "I hope you get well soon".

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 4:15 am

Experience tells me if it's Japanese, Korean or Thai...
It'll likely be actually someone who's trying to learn English.

I had my own encounters with complete strangers, and also had online mutual friends asked me to volunteer to chat English with their other non-native English users.

At least in general terms.
I had more experience with other platforms than Facebook, and that's at least over a year ago.

The rest..? I'm not sure.
I'd likely be a bit wary or just at this present, decline.

It's still ultimately up to you.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 9:39 am

A friend told me to block him, as it doesn't sound genuine to her. So that's what I did.

He wasn't a mutual friend, if he was I might have given him a chance, but I do not want to take any chances otherwise.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 12:50 am

I don't see what there is to be afraid of. Were you worried that you'd accidentally give him some sensitive personal information? There isn't much he could do to harm you if you two just chat online. Hackers cannot hack people's computers or accounts via online conversations.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 4:15 am

starkid wrote:
I don't see what there is to be afraid of. Were you worried that you'd accidentally give him some sensitive personal information? There isn't much he could do to harm you if you two just chat online. Hackers cannot hack people's computers or accounts via online conversations.

They're more likely to be a scammer/catfish who pretends to befriend you and then asks you for money or gifts. It's happened to people on here via dating sites.

They're looking for lonely and vulnerable people to take advantage of.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 5:15 am

Well my profile picture consists of me and my boyfriend so I don't think he assumed I was lonely.

It was just the way he seemed so desperate for me to learn him English and that he tried guilting me into it. Plus I'm not very good at teaching things to other people, especially if I don't know them.

But now that you said it would be harmless to accept his friend request and message him, I now feel guilty for blocking him. On the other hand, if I wanted to improve my skills at a foreign language, I wouldn't go asking strangers on the internet to help me. There's plenty of sites and books to help you learn a language.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 5:38 am

Don't feel guilty Joe as that was his intention.

As you said there are plenty of places to learn English.

He was attempting to take advantage of your compassion from your comment.

No means no.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 5:59 am

Temeraire wrote:
Don't feel guilty Joe as that was his intention.

As you said there are plenty of places to learn English.

He was attempting to take advantage of your compassion from your comment.

No means no.

I totally agree. Do not feel guilty. You were a mark. He'll just move in to the next one.

roccoslife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2020, 2:47 pm

You were right to be wary, thats very odd behavior for facebook as well as in general. Gotta be some kind of scam.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 107 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2020, 6:11 pm

roccoslife wrote:
You were right to be wary, thats very odd behavior for facebook as well as in general. Gotta be some kind of scam.

I think I'm just being extra aware on Facebook lately, because I know a few people who have had their accounts hacked into. I don't know how or why people hack into other people's Facebook accounts, but I am very wary of who I add to my friends list. This guy could be a spy wanting to collect whatever data I have on Facebook and distracting me by making me help him to learn English.
So I think I done the right thing by blocking him.

roccoslife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2020, 8:10 am

Joe90 wrote:
roccoslife wrote:

I think I'm just being extra aware on Facebook lately, because I know a few people who have had their accounts hacked into. I don't know how or why people hack into other people's Facebook accounts, but I am very wary of who I add to my friends list. This guy could be a spy wanting to collect whatever data I have on Facebook and distracting me by making me help him to learn English.
So I think I done the right thing by blocking him.

I think most people who hack accounts on facebook do it in order to sell those accounts as paid followers/friends to people who want to promote their page as well as data mining like you said. Had mine hacked a couple of times, I hardly even use it anymore anyway though, out of all the "friends" i have on there i think i talk to like 2 of them regularly and have their phone numbers anyway lol.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 10:47 am

The unthinkable has happened - my Facebook account got hacked into today. I hope it wasn't that same guy who hacked in, even though I blocked him he might have created another account and found me then hacked into my account as a payback for rejecting him. Surely not??

Whoever the dickhead was who hacked in, they posted a couple of weird posts about winning £700, and tagged almost everyone in my friends list. I hope that this is benign. But I don't see what kick they got out of it.

I looked through all my Facebook settings and it seems like they haven't done any damage. I went through the procedures of securing my account, logged out of every recent log-in, and changed my password.

It turns out I was blocked by one of my Facebook friends, not sure why.

But I don't see how someone could have guessed my very secure password, as it has nothing to do with anything in any of my public information. And nobody else has been on my mobile device or my laptop, and I have not logged in on any public computers for months, if not years. And I have all of my privacy settings activated, and my friends list is hidden from the public.

It's just really spooky how I posted this thread about being paranoid of hackers, and suddenly I WAS hacked into. I do feel uncomfortable and upset. I don't need this stress in my life. How did they even get in?

Last edited by Joe90 on 22 Jul 2020, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

roccoslife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2020, 11:01 am

Joe90 wrote:
The unthinkable has happened - my Facebook account got hacked into today. I hope it wasn't that same guy who hacked in, even though he blocked me he might have created another account and found me then hacked into my account as a payback for rejecting him. Surely not??

Whoever the dickhead was who hacked in, they posted a couple of weird posts about winning £700, and tagged almost everyone in my friends list. I hope that this is benign. But I don't see what kick they got out of it.

I looked through all my Facebook settings and it seems like they haven't done any damage. I went through the procedures of securing my account, logged out of every recent log-in, and changed my password.

It turns out I was blocked by one of my Facebook friends, not sure why.

But I don't see how someone could have guessed my very secure password, as it has nothing to do with anything in any of my public information. And nobody else has been on my mobile device or my laptop, and I have not logged in on any public computers for months, if not years. And I have all of my privacy settings activated, and my friends list is hidden from the public.

It's just really spooky how I posted this thread about being paranoid of hackers, and suddenly I WAS hacked into. I do feel uncomfortable and upset. I don't need this stress in my life. How did they even get in?

Oh no thats horrible, what an awful coincidence!

Might be worthwhile to download something like spybot or just do an antivirus scan in general of your drives to see if anyones managed to install a trojan file on your computer. If they do that they can remotely access your computer and see all your stuff/login to your accounts. Also you should change the passwords on any email addresses linked to your facebook too.

Its not the end of the world though upsetting as it is, they've done what they wanted to do now, most likely they wont bother you again. Maybe report the guy who messaged you to facebook just to be on the safe side.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2020, 11:14 am

This is why I don't want to do all of my shopping online and I panic when people say that this pandemic will end all of retail (despite the shops being open). If hackers can get into one's computer data that easily via trojan installation or whatever then who knows how much all of your different accounts for different shops are at risk? I rather just go into shops and do the shopping rather than doing everything behind a screen at the risk of exposing my money to the web. No thank you.

After 9 years of being on Facebook this is the first ever time it has been hacked, so I don't know much about why or how people hack into other people's Facebook accounts, but I do know that there are more hackers out there than there ever was.