Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

elephantplushie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Oct 2020, 11:31 am

Something i've noticed compared to chatting with NT people is that all aspies i've texted write really long and well worded paragraphs. It's something I haven't done myself as before I got diagnosed I was used to only texting NTs and they tend to text in a very different, slackier way. Maybe it's just a coincidence but it's something i've noticed with all aspies i've come across and something I appreciate and another reason why I prefer communicating with other aspies rather than NTs because I don't like small talk and with NTs it's always small talk. I was wondering if this is something that is common among aspies in general or just the ones i've come across?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2020, 5:28 pm

It might be the Aspies you have come across. I have a friend with autism and his texts are too quick and slacky. I prefer deeper conversation but he's not really that type. He just talks about the weather and what he's done that day (which is the same as always because he has an extremely rigid routine). One of my other friends on the spectrum does quick texts like that as well and she's a girl.
My cousin (who has learning difficulties but not autism) sends long texts explaining things in detail.

It depends with me, if I have a lot to say then the text will be longer but I do shorter texts if the conversation is small talk.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2020, 5:38 pm

I tend to write long posts. It is something I can spend hours on, and then not send!

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 4:52 pm

I used to write paragraphs and paragraphs just to say hello.

I don't do that as frequently now, especially if I'm talking to a non-Autistic.

I can do either, really. Write to length or go overboard and do the typical Autie thing with a zillion words.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 4:59 pm

elephantplushie wrote:
Something i've noticed compared to chatting with NT people is that all aspies i've texted write really long and well worded paragraphs. It's something I haven't done myself as before I got diagnosed I was used to only texting NTs and they tend to text in a very different, slackier way. Maybe it's just a coincidence but it's something i've noticed with all aspies i've come across and something I appreciate and another reason why I prefer communicating with other aspies rather than NTs because I don't like small talk and with NTs it's always small talk. I was wondering if this is something that is common among aspies in general or just the ones i've come across?

There is an observable tendency for aspies to be more precise when they communicate.
I am one such aspie. 8)

However, the problem with me is that I am semi-dyslexic and find long posts, especially those where the text is one big block without paragraphs, daunting to read, and as a consequence, I tend to skip them unless the person is a friend.

Yes, many aspies have an affinity with details. 8)

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 5:04 pm

I write long paragraphs sometimes. I always put thought into how I write.

I communicate solely in words and find it a bit strange that other people don't.

So I put thought into words I use.

This is easier in asynchronous media such as letters and forums etc than it is on chat rooms or telephone conversations or irl. Because I've got all the time in the world to form my sentences, words etc just how I like them.

And the same for interpreting others, as well.

This isn't just an online/phone thing either. I always preferred reading to conversation. I even learned to read before people could understand me talking :lol: (That's verbal dyspraxia's fault though, I was 3 not 1...)

I hate chat rooms. Never gonna use them again if I can help it.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 5:05 pm

Joe90 wrote:
It might be the Aspies you have come across. I have a friend with autism and his texts are too quick and slacky. I prefer deeper conversation but he's not really that type. He just talks about the weather and what he's done that day (which is the same as always because he has an extremely rigid routine). One of my other friends on the spectrum does quick texts like that as well and she's a girl.
My cousin (who has learning difficulties but not autism) sends long texts explaining things in detail.

It depends with me, if I have a lot to say then the text will be longer but I do shorter texts if the conversation is small talk.

Aspies are known for their penchant for detail, but that is a tendance/guide.
Autism is a spectrum, after all. 8)

Quote:
Detail-oriented

Ability to notice small details of an idea, theory, number pattern, book, film, object or visual image.
Ability to perform repetitive tasks where accuracy, rules and routine are important.
Strong work ethic; commitment to quality and accuracy of work. https://www.aane.org/asperger-profile-strengths/

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 5:10 pm

KT67 wrote:
I write long paragraphs sometimes. I always put thought into how I write.

I communicate solely in words and find it a bit strange that other people don't.

So I put thought into words I use.

This is easier in asynchronous media such as letters and forums etc than it is on chat rooms or telephone conversations or irl. Because I've got all the time in the world to form my sentences, words etc just how I like them.

And the same for interpreting others, as well.

This isn't just an online/phone thing either. I always preferred reading to conversation. I even learned to read before people could understand me talking :lol: (That's verbal dyspraxia's fault though, I was 3 not 1...)

I hate chat rooms. Never gonna use them again if I can help it.

Precisely.
I have been saying, for many years, that a forum form of communication suits those on the spectrum, mainly due to the reason you gave.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 5:29 pm

About after three paragraphs in answering a short question , am starting to realize that have been long winded and
Gone into such detail , as it would probably cause me , to want to read past my own post . I end up hitting the cancel button . And skip to the next thread .
My teachers in grade school got onto me about writing run - sentences . With almost no punctuation . That was a challenge .

where ever you go ,there you are

OkaySometimes
Raven
Raven

24 Oct 2020, 8:07 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
I tend to write long posts. It is something I can spend hours on, and then not send!

Been there! Honestly, one of the nicest things about this forum is that I'm not the only one writing a novella for every post. I've stepped waaaay back on my posting on the other forum I'm on, because without anyone saying anything, it's like I can feel the "Oh not this guy and his longwinded crap again!" I really don't mean to be that way, I'm just trying to say all the things I'm trying to say, and somehow make them make sense. I've been told that I use too much detail etc. but I truly can't figure out how to say things in 3-4 words. If I could figure out how to do that, I might get along better in the world, but I can't imagine being at all interesting to talk/type with. I was already spending at least an hour on any post I made, trying to edit it down to palatable at least. And largely failing, which of course took me too long to figure out. :roll:
So glad I found this place.

ETA -- The other forum is largely NTs. Possibly part of my issue is that I edit too much and lose some (sometimes important) bits of information. Which is why I type such long posts in the first place...

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2020, 12:42 pm

Jakki wrote:
My teachers in grade school got onto me about writing run - sentences . With almost no punctuation . That was a challenge .

Yeah - you were a kid but the difference between good communication which uses long paragraphs and bad communication is all about punctuation. Something aspies can excel in cos it's all about 'pedantry' as my family put it.

I'm not a pedant in terms of caring too much what punctuation mark I use. But I do try to use some.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2020, 3:17 pm

OHHHH yes, I've been there!

I've learned to write shorter "to the point" sentences - with one or two carefully selected questions (as opposed to writing several questions at once!) Glad I've long discovered where to effectively make paragraph-breaks in moderate-length emails.

When emails are periodically lengthier than normal, I would place the statement 'Moderate Length Read' in the subject box of email messages!

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 7:59 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
OHHHH yes, I've been there!

I've learned to write shorter "to the point" sentences - with one or two carefully selected questions (as opposed to writing several questions at once!) Glad I've long discovered where to effectively make paragraph-breaks in moderate-length emails.

When emails are periodically lengthier than normal, I would place the statement 'Moderate Length Read' in the subject box of email messages!

ADDENDUM / RELATED: I add the WP LINK 'Any Experiences With Penpals?' -- as practice writing short to the point content (such as what is encouraged through corresponding with penpals without the use/distractions of TECH.) may "break the ice so to speak" to encourage development of social skills.

Any relevant experiences?

LINK: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=390593&p=8613064#p8613064

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 8:50 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

Have done that myself several times . Have used the cancel button many times . :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 8:58 pm

I used to write long posts but nobody reads them so I don't bother.