Young NTs starting to become the ones without social skills?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2020, 9:01 am

Judging by how we Aspies had to be taught social skills by adults older than us who grew up talking to people in person. Younger NTs may have worse social skills than Aspies IMO thanks to being in a disconnected digital world. Nothing wrong with technology BTW, I just like to communicate on the Internet using actual words and not just silliness. There’s this kind of silliness on the Internet that even I’m too old to understand, but 14-year-old Internet users get it!

I’m only 23, BTW, so I’m young, but I’m talking even younger like under 20.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 9:49 am

Hooray for our side! :mrgreen:

greenmm37
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2020, 10:27 am

Along the same lines of what you're talking about, I worry about young people today (NT and ND alike) is that the internet has become a breeding ground for unbridled hostility and that's how a lot of people are learning to communicate. Because of the physical distance social media gives people, whether they choose to be anonymous or not, I see a *lot* of people who are very comfortable being extremely hostile and hateful towards others. This, I worry, actually is beginning to translate into real life, because it starts so young.
I'm 24, so I'm close in age to you, and even my generation has this notion of "well you can fly off the handle on the internet but you'd never do that in real life." BUT, because so many kids are being mass-exposed to social media as their primary means of communication, and they're still developing socially, I think this is becoming their social norm. The world is already unfriendly enough, but the amount of vitriol I see online that people think is just fine to direct at other people because they don't have to see the person on the other side as a living, breathing, person, scares me a lot.
Sorry for the vent, but your post got me thinking about it haha.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2020, 7:14 am

No because social skills are a myth and NTs define it.

So whatever their new brain wave decides is the way to communicate, that will be the way to communicate and show you have skills.

For eg I'm annoyed cos someone replied to a tweet of mine with a picture rather than a sentence. What am I meant to do with that? How am I meant to understand it? I don't.

They would see that as a deficiency on my part.

Or for eg I've learned that adults don't say 'please' and 'thank you'. One of the most basic rules you learn as a kid. NTs consider that to be weak when done by adults and when done by people who look young, they consider it an indication of age. So I drop it. Cos as much as I'd like to seem polite, I don't want to seem weak or like a child or like I'm deferring to someone else's authority.