20 Mar 2024, 9:19 pm

What are the most extreme wrong assumptions someone has ever made about your:

Race
Sexual orientation
Education
Occupation
Income

Or anything else

When I was 40, someone said I was 16. Someone else said I "look like a hobo".

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 11:38 am

I have had several people accuse me of being a lesbian because I wear short hair.

Other assumptions:

People have assumed that I have limited interests just because I am autistic

I have had people assume that I can't afford certain things.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2024, 12:01 pm

I don't pay any attention to other people's assumptions.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2024, 7:53 am

assuming I was stupid because I told them of my autism diagnosis, calling me sir , assuming I had thoughts, ideas and attitudes I am sure I never had but being accused of that... supposedly being vicious, malicious, evil, etc. Its all somebody else's opinions, and we know the truth about ourselves. What other people think, even what they think of me, is no concern of mine (unless it leads to bullying, stalking, physical violence). Let them think what they want to, we don't have to please anybody but ourselves.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2024, 10:54 am

My ex used to like to call me a hybrid. It still puzzles me why

I've been harassed all my life for various things from the colour of my skin to me appearing younger than I am to me having learning difficulties to me coming from a bad family, being in care. Also for my hair being too short or too long or looking like a boy or being too skinny and then for putting on weight. The list goes on and on. I've stopped even worrying about it all now because it's just not healthy to care

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2024, 3:25 pm

I have people assume that I am clueless.

For instance, I had a friend's parent constantly let me know what something was for someone else.

Another time, someone told me not to bring food into the auditorium when I already knew that.

I have had to tell them, "I get it, I am not dumb."

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2024, 7:29 am

So, my mum is noticeably more tan than me in complexion. I look more like my dad in that regard.

When I'm out with my mum, sometimes people worry and say 'Oh you're looking awfully pale! Are you sick?' Since people assume that my natural skin tone is like hers. Granted, I haven't had anyone say this recently but it's an assumption people used to have about me.

Nope. Not sick. Just pale. I promise I'm not a vampire. Carry on. :lol:

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2024, 3:49 pm

People think I look younger than my actual age which used to bother me as a young adult. As I got older, I enjoy it.

utterly absurd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Mar 2024, 10:00 pm

I am very tall and people often assume I don't know I'm very tall and that they have to tell me.
People, even if I was somehow unaware of my height when I woke up this morning, you're the third person today who's said this to me. I know.

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2024, 11:15 pm

People think I'm Balkan all the time. My parents are from Mexico. My mom ancestry is from Spain my dad is literally indigenous so idk how this combo makes me look Balkan to so many eastern europeans (mainly them who think I am Balkan or Greek) Once I have had someone come up to me speaking to me in a language I think might have been Romanian while I was visiting Sweden. That was awkward.

I have had several people assume I am a transgender man? and a couple times someone has thought I was a transgender woman? I am a cisgender woman. I also often get they/them pronoun use from very polite people who do not know me and do not want to make any mistakes lol. But this is likely because I am very active in LGBT+ community in my area so people are more cautious and polite about that.