Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 5:12 pm

Last halloween this one lady in my social group at the pub was saying about me to some people at the table “James sponges off us”

Do you think judging by what she said she dislikes me? Not really sure what sponging of means either but I did buy the lady a bottle of wine last weekend.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 5:16 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Last halloween this one lady in my social group at the pub was saying about me to some people at the table “James sponges off us”.  Do you think judging by what she said she dislikes me?
Yes.
Jamesy wrote:
Not really sure what spending of means either but I did buy the lady a bottle of wine last weekend.
"Sponging Off" is the act of always being the guest and never the host.  She likely meant that you never buy a round, but instead have rounds bought for you.

The fact that bought her a gift is irrelevant to what she said three months before.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 5:20 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Last halloween this one lady in my social group at the pub was saying about me to some people at the table “James sponges off us”.  Do you think judging by what she said she dislikes me?
Yes.
Jamesy wrote:
Not really sure what spending of means either but I did buy the lady a bottle of wine last weekend.
"Sponging Off" is the act of always being the guest and never the host.  She likely meant that you never buy a round, but instead have rounds bought for you.

The fact that bought her a gift is irrelevant to what she said three months before.

I accepted a pint of someone in our group last weekend and she said to me “your sponging of him”

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 5:25 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Yes.
Jamesy wrote:
"Sponging Off" is the act of always being the guest and never the host.  She likely meant that you never buy a round, but instead have rounds bought for you.  The fact that bought her a gift is irrelevant to what she said three months before.
I accepted a pint of someone in our group last weekend “your sponging of him”
If you did not buy a pint for that someone later, then you were sponging off his/her goodwill.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 5:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Yes.
Jamesy wrote:
"Sponging Off" is the act of always being the guest and never the host.  She likely meant that you never buy a round, but instead have rounds bought for you.  The fact that bought her a gift is irrelevant to what she said three months before.
If you did not buy a pint for that someone later, then you were sponging off his/her goodwill.

It’s ironic because people have mentioned that she comes out to the pub with not a lot of money and expects people to buy her wine.

Really though how dare she accuse me of spondging when I brought her a bottle of wine last weekend :evil:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 5:35 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Yes.
Jamesy wrote:
It’s ironic because people have mentioned that she comes out to the pub with not a lot of money and expects people to buy her wine.  Really though how dare she accuse me of spondging when I brought her a bottle of wine last weekend.
1. Does she expect people to buy her wine, or is that just how men are when women are at the pub?

2. She said you were sponging off three months BEFORE you bought her a bottle of wine; how dare YOU judge her for that?

Do you really think you have the higher ground and all that even though you dodge the turn when it is your shout?

No wonder you have such poor luck with the ladies.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 5:40 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Yes.
Jamesy wrote:
It’s ironic because people have mentioned that she comes out to the pub with not a lot of money and expects people to buy her wine.  Really though how dare she accuse me of spondging when I brought her a bottle of wine last weekend.
1. Does she expect people to buy her wine, or is that just how men are when women are at the pub?

2. She said you were sponging off three months BEFORE you bought her a bottle of wine; how dare YOU judge her for that?

Do you really think you have the higher ground and all that even though you dodge the turn when it is your shout?

No wonder you have such poor luck with the ladies.

Jerk

Seriously if you have nothing good to say then just piss of out my threads you contemptible troll :evil:

Last edited by Jamesy on 01 Feb 2022, 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2022, 5:41 pm

If you weren't sponging off her (as in she bought you drinks), then the bottle of wine you gave her is even more irrelevant. It's about returning the favor to the person who paid for yours.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 5:43 pm

Blue_Star wrote:
If you weren't sponging off her (as in she bought you drinks), then the bottle of wine you gave her is even more irrelevant. It's about returning the favor to the person who paid for yours.

Fair enough. Sorry this Fnord guy has got me really seething tonight.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 5:56 pm

Jamesy wrote:
. . . Seriously if you have nothing good to say then just piss of out my threads you contemptible troll
What did you expect?  Support for your refusal to take a round in?

A lot of what you post features your troubles with the ladies, and includes your behavior that brings on those troubles.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 6:02 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
. . . Seriously if you have nothing good to say then just piss of out my threads you contemptible troll
What did you expect?  Support for your refusal to take a round in?

A lot of what you post features your troubles with the ladies, and includes your behavior that brings on those troubles.

Okay okay I was harsh in my response to you.

It would probably do us all good if I took a break from this website

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 6:05 pm

If you ask me, she sounds like a sponger and is projecting onto you to deflect from her sponging. People who go to the pub with little money hoping on handouts are spongers unless they repay the favour.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 6:08 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
If you ask me, she sounds like a sponger and is projecting onto you to deflect from her sponging. People who go to the pub with little money hoping on handouts are spongers unless they repay the favour.

Yeah but like Fnord said men are expected to buy women drinks right?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 6:21 pm

All this BS----is why I don't bother going to pubs.......

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2022, 6:24 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:

Yeah but like Fnord said men are expected to buy women drinks right?

If a woman is in the friend zone then she should get treated like all the other members of the group. If on the other hand you asked a woman to the pub then there is the outdated sexist social rules that Fnord pointed out i.e you pay for the privilege.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 7:04 am

Quote:
It would probably do us all good if I took a break from this website

It might do you good to do that. It's what I need to do too. If I post in a thread and I get responses I don't want to hear, I don't take it very well, then I end up beating myself up and lashing out at members with the harshest responses. Perhaps post these sorts of threads in the haven next time, because there people aren't supposed to undermine the OP.