Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2022, 2:41 pm

babybird wrote:
I still am.

I'm not as shy as I was as a teenager. Back then I would be too shy to even move if I was somewhere with unfamiliar people (especially teenage boys). I would sit there stiffly and hardly say a word unless I was directly spoken to, and even then it would just be a squeak. I hated being like it but I couldn't help it.

Minuteman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2022, 11:33 am

I thought then I was shy, but now that I understand my brain better, I know it was an inability to understand how to interact with people, pick up on social cues and make small talk. Now that I know more about myself, I understand why I was something of a social outcast.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2022, 4:38 am

Yup!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 5:35 am

I remember when I was 11 I was on a school outing at a Viking village place. I was terrified and bewildered the whole time, due to shyness. I just wanted to go home. The other kids found it great.

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 5:51 am

To an extent, I can still subjectively be painfully shy, quiet and aloof, despite having that inner confidence and self-acceptance on the inside.

However, around people I know, they tend to forget this is how I was around them at first before getting to know them.

My figurative 'book' slowly opens to people, who then I guess wish I'd shut up and close my book. :lol: I joke of course, but I still have that insecurity and think from past experience that such friends will tire of me.

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 8:40 am

When my worthless corpse was 13 to 19, it was painfully shy

Diagnosed Asperger's and gender identity disorder 21

39 now and painfully shy

I don't get what age has to do with it

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 8:48 am

A lot of people seem to believe that shyness is something you grow out of. Like my boyfriend's 30-year-old nephew is shy and often avoids social gatherings with too many unfamiliar people (he's not on the spectrum though), and people have often said that he shouldn't be shy at his age. I don't know why people think everyone has to not be shy after they reach a certain age.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 3:33 pm

Joe90 wrote:
A lot of people seem to believe that shyness is something you grow out of. Like my boyfriend's 30-year-old nephew is shy and often avoids social gatherings with too many unfamiliar people (he's not on the spectrum though), and people have often said that he shouldn't be shy at his age. I don't know why people think everyone has to not be shy after they reach a certain age.

It feels better than realizing they bore people :P

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 5:38 pm

I would do nonsensical things due to being shy. Often people had to infer that I wanted something and ask for me.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2022, 2:42 pm

I was unfortunately painfully NOT shy...the one who picked up the phone and just called, the one who just run up and talked, that one.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 3:12 pm

Was introverted,shy and a loner from as far back as I can remember. That ramped up to what we now call social anxiety(severe) due to severe verbal bullying soon after starting at my British public school.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 4:39 pm

Only because my parents were super strict about what I could and couldn't do and criticized me for the smallest thing that really was no big deal.