Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 9:43 am

Am I the only one who does this?

I explain something in great detail e.g. how to do something, my ideas about something, what something means.

And the other person stares at me blankly/ in confusion. They can't take the volume of information, it seems. In real life they start avoiding me. Online they just don't reply.

Sometimes this is funny, but sometimes it's frustrating and I want to shake them. Use your brain! Use your intelligence! Think!! ! :roll:

It seems many people today just passively consume news, gossip, entertainment, without using their brain or critical thinking skills...

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 9:54 am

Used to happen all the time. I want to be heard so I talk in short sentences now. I can't take being info dumped on sometimes... sometimes I like it.

I often don't read long posts unless it's an OP

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 11:50 am

klanka wrote:
Used to happen all the time. I want to be heard so I talk in short sentences now. I can't take being info dumped on sometimes... sometimes I like it.

I often don't read long posts unless it's an OP

That is a good idea. I think most people can't take lots of information. I also don't read long posts. I think I'm great at spouting information but not so good at receiving it.

But it's nice when I meet someone who can take all my information giving :D

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 12:18 pm

Which subjects do you info dump about?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 12:31 pm

KitLily wrote:
Am I the only one who does this?

I explain something in great detail e.g. how to do something, my ideas about something, what something means.

And the other person stares at me blankly/ in confusion. They can't take the volume of information, it seems. In real life they start avoiding me. Online they just don't reply.

Sometimes this is funny, but sometimes it's frustrating and I want to shake them. Use your brain! Use your intelligence! Think!! ! :roll:

It seems many people today just passively consume news, gossip, entertainment, without using their brain or critical thinking skills...

No. I do it as well. People are generally gullable to believe the news without question. It is how people are.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 1:19 pm

I tend to switch off if someone is going into depth about something.

I had a work colleague who used to do and although he was actually a really nice guy I couldn't stand to be in his company. I used to lose the will to live when he started talking.

Maybe it's because I have adhd and I just haven't got time for that kind of thing.

Sorry.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 6:31 pm

Too much information, especially self disclosure, is bad

Too little information, is curt and leads to (misunderstandings)

The correct amount of information is subjective and different in every situation

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 9:34 pm

Yes I do this as well.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 12:44 am

klanka wrote:
I can't take being info dumped on sometimes... sometimes I like it.

Likewise.

In my opinion we, as autistic people, need friends and/or partners who share our interests and passions, so they won't mind -- at least sometimes -- hearing us talk at length about them.

We also need, in my opinion, to be able to clearly indicate to each other when we are or aren't in the mood to listen. Even on a topic I'm very interested in, I'm not always able to listen. So I often say to my boyfriend, "I can't absorb that now" -- and then, at a later time, let him know I'm ready to listen.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 11:13 am

klanka wrote:
Which subjects do you info dump about?

Erm...it depends. Generally when I'm trying to be helpful, or talking about one of my passions. Or maybe processing something out loud. When I'm trying to be helpful but people just stare blankly, that REALLY annoys me.

But like someone says above, I can't take too much information in the other way round, if someone is woffling on about something I'm not interested in.

Or takes too long to get to the point e.g.

Person: 'something really interesting happened to me today.'

Me: 'oh yes, what was it?'

Person: 'Well I got up and had my breakfast, then cleaned my teeth, and thought what a lovely day it was.'

Me: 'so what was the interesting thing?'

Person: 'I'm just getting to it. I thought what a lovely day it was, so I put my clothes on, I decided to wear my black jeans...'

Me: *moved on to something else* :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 11:15 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
KitLily wrote:

No. I do it as well. People are generally gullable to believe the news without question. It is how people are.

Human beings are very strange creatures. I bet in the past they didn't believe without question or they'd have died. Or at least, the gullible ones died and the bright ones survived :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 11:19 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
In my opinion we, as autistic people, need friends and/or partners who share our interests and passions, so they won't mind -- at least sometimes -- hearing us talk at length about them.

We also need, in my opinion, to be able to clearly indicate to each other when we are or aren't in the mood to listen. Even on a topic I'm very interested in, I'm not always able to listen. So I often say to my boyfriend, "I can't absorb that now" -- and then, at a later time, let him know I'm ready to listen.

haha, we do need friends or partners who don't mind us talking at length don't we.

I don't think I'm as patient as my husband, he doesn't mind me rambling on, but I often make 'hurry up' gestures to him to get to the point. I like information, not endless leading slowly up to the point. Get to the point with interesting information, don't talk about the weather etc.

I think the problem with me is, I don't woffle on about the weather or padding like that. I fill my speech with lots of concentrated information...and most people need the woffle about the weather or whatever in between. For some reason.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 11:35 am

KitLily wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Human beings are very strange creatures.:lol:

They have had years of practice.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 1:31 pm

Yeah I noticed if I try to make a point that involves more than 3 sentences the other person is just GONE. Some people can't handle more than one sentence.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 10:17 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Human beings are very strange creatures.:lol:

They have had years of practice.

haha yes. Millions of years. I read that Neanderthals were completely mystified by Homo Sapiens because we were so complicated :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 10:19 am

klanka wrote:
Yeah I noticed if I try to make a point that involves more than 3 sentences the other person is just GONE. Some people can't handle more than one sentence.

It is quite funny in some ways. I often feel like I move much, much faster than most humans. I can jump from idea to idea and they can't keep up :roll:

I go from point A to B to C to D to E...and they're still saying, 'so what's that about point A?' :?