Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

dalhousie12
Veteran
Veteran

Location: A frozen baron wasteland, me and my friend tuk have to watch out for flying frozen hockey pucks Eh!

03 Aug 2007, 11:14 pm

Hi everybody,

i was just curious how would you describe what is a close friendship. What type of values and beliefs do you have when it comes to friendship, besides the obivious ones such as honesty(not trying to be rude)?

I myself value honesty(given), well thats the only one i can think of for now. Actually thats the only one i think i have, i might have to put more effort and thought into what i value in a friendship then write them down and hang them up so i don't forget.

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 12:26 am

Honesty, integrity, respect, and trustworthyness to the point of never letting the deepest secrets past the fence post.

Supportiveness in difficult times as well as for life's minor challenges -an example of such minor challenge could be coaching in the playing of the dating game.

Good company to share time with when out doing things together, such as going fishing or whatever your passion may be.

We Aspies tend to be a vulnerable lot. When we come across such gems we need them and they need us too. Get the two sides together with that right kind of thinking and the only outcome can be a win-win situation.

OTOH, as the saying goes, true friends are like diamonds, precious and rare, false friends are like autumn leaves, they are found everywhere.

Take your time and be careful when getting to know your new-found "friend". Be observant and trust your intuition. It is an art in itself and it can be like playing the dating game in some ways :wink:

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

edal
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 4:40 am

You're on the Titanic and it's just struck the iceberg. Somehow you have your own lifeboat which can accomodate you and up to ten other people BUT the more people in the boat the lower it will be in the water and it may sink. Who do you invite to share your boat?

They're your friends.

Ed Almos

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 7:09 am

A friend someone who feels sad when you're sad and happy when you're happy; plus, really listens to you when you need someone to hear what you're saying and doesn't charge a fee for it!

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2007, 1:29 pm

A good friend is someone who always keeps his word and delivers what he promises. For instance, if he says he'll do something, a good friend will always follow through on what he said. I always make sure to do that with my friends. If I'm not sure whether or not I can follow through on something, I always say "it's not a promise, but I'll try". This may sounds like a cop-out, but the real purpose is making sure I don't get labeled as someone who doesn't keep his word. In fact, keeping one's word is an important unwritten rule among my group of friends.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2007, 3:53 am

good friends take you seriously, don't turn their backs on you, listen to you in good AND bad times, share with you like you would with them, enjoy your company like you do theirs, give you space when you need it and don't get all huffy about it... Real friends don't abandon you when new people come along. Real friends are rare and I cherish them since I have come across few people who fit the bill. Most people are simply "people I know" or acquaintances.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2007, 9:24 am

The only really close friendships I've ever had were with two old schoolfriends. We'd been in school together for about eleven years and the bonds had matured really well that way. It was tough losing touch with them :(

thegodofhats
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2007, 8:48 am

A good friend is pretty much anyone who will humor your ideas for a while, no matter how outrageous they are.