Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2023, 11:32 am

What kind of experience have you had with racism, sexism, homophobia, fatphobia, socioeconomic discrimination, ableism, or anything like that?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2023, 12:16 pm

I've experienced sexism in a variety of ways but other things as well to a lesser extent.

I was raised in an environment where women were considered subordinate to men, especially in the church and in the family. I've experienced a lot of sexual harassment and sexual abuse related to that or to similarly toxic, sexist attitudes.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2023, 2:40 pm

socioeconomic

Nothing serious, but I have come across an amusing contradiction.

"You speak like a toff; I bet you're a spoilt princess and not prepared for the real world!"

- Learns where I'm originally from

"...You must be aggressive / rough then. Gotta be resilient if you come from there"

Pick a lane. :lol:

Sexism

'Model citizen': Why are you bad at (insert activity here)? You're making women everywhere look bad! :roll: (When was I voted representative of all women? :lol: )

'The statement': How come you're doing (activity) and not (other activity)? Are you making a feminist statement? I'm...existing. That's all.

'I mean yes I think poorly of women, but I like you, so I'm going to tell you that 'you're not like other girls' as a compliment'.

'You're one of the cool ones, right?': 'Oh come on, I told this sexist joke and now I expect you to laugh. Why aren't you laughing? I thought you were one of the cool ones'.

Homophobia

- Various insults I'd rather not say.

- You're too pretty to be gay.

- What a waste!

- Physically attacked

- 'Hey, my boyfriend wants to meet the group. Could you pretend to be straight whilst he's here? My boyfriend is uncomfortable with gay people; I'm an ally though! Even went to a Pride parade! I'm sure you understand. I just want to make sure he has a good time!' :roll:

- 'Sorry I can't hang out with you anymore, I don't want people thinking I'm gay!'

- 'It's just not right, women kissing women. Unless it's for men' ??? What kind of logic is that ???

- 'They should really have separate buildings for the gays. Gay churches and that'
'Haha, you're joking, right?'
'Uh, no'
'...'
'...'

'Please never adopt children; you'll turn them gay!'

...That's...That's not how it works.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2023, 9:34 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
What kind of experience have you had with racism, sexism, homophobia, fatphobia, socioeconomic discrimination, ableism, or anything like that?

A little over 20 years ago, I was discriminated against by three women

Back then, I attempted to live on my own in a community near an aunt, uncle, and two cousins. However, I was not allowed to associate with them because my aunt had the wrong idea about autism. She thought that autism came with dangerous unpredictable behavior. So she told my uncle and two cousins they were not associated with me for any reason. Otherwise, they acted like I was a total stranger when we interacted.

Meanwhile, the other two women came in the form of roommates who were in their late 20s. Though they knew I was younger than they were, they started making me feel guilty for not being in their age group. They made it clear in so many hints that I was just there to help with chores, rent, and bills. One of these roommates even sunk so low as to lie to me about having a birthday party for people in her age group that I was not invited to. Meanwhile, I never disclosed my diagnosis to them. However, they knew that I was different.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2023, 9:50 am

I have been discriminated against for being American, for being educated, and for being cis-male.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2023, 10:12 am

I have been discriminated against for

1. Being white 2. Being a woman with short hair 3. Being too hyper 4.

I have been discriminated against by other people on the autism spectrum who wanted to be cool and fit in. I have even had one of them brag to me about how much higher functioning than I am.

Additionally, I have been discriminated against by autistic individuals and their parents who only look at autism as the glass half empty.

-For example, one mom got mad when she found out that I was able to get into college while her daughter didn't.

Last edited by Summer_Twilight on 21 Jul 2023, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2023, 10:15 am

I've been discriminated against because I have learning difficulties. It was when I was working. I got unfair dismissal as well but I got compensation for that.

jillsurf12
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Nov 2023, 2:58 pm

I was discriminated for being tomboy, autistic, honest, in many different's contexts I suffered from "mysandry" from women because their crushes liked me, I not, and they tried everything to ruin my reputation, call me all the ugliest names and repudiate me as much as they could. So today, I prefer the company of men than women.