Does having the flashy cars and stuff make you a man ?

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 9:45 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Good distinction. I'm a fast driver on highways and clock at about 130 most of the time if I can. That's only if the lane is open. I don't speed on residential streets or tailgate or do anything dangerous. I'm referring specifically of my ex, the one I'm still good friends with. When I had my stroke I wasn't allowed to drive so he would come get me and drive me to his / our house, four hours from my home. He was nearly always plastered / stoned out of his mind, or racing back because he wanted a beer and toke. He's ADHD and a very aggressive driver. He tailgated, swore so loudly my ears hurt, gave people the finger with his window rolled down, and drove in a vindictive way. If he thought someone cut him off, he'd cut them off on purpose.

He did have a very sexy car (I have to admit I liked it, and it was black so it didn't look flashy), but after experiencing this and putting my life as well as my dog's life in danger I said I'd never go in his car again. Oh, and there was the time I almost got busted as a drug trafficker because they pulled him over for bad driving, searched the car, and found one of my mother's back pain pills in my bag. I would have gone to jail because he was a stoner.

Lovely.

Oh my, what a mess.

I figure there's a lot of people with ADHD who might be prone to speeding, but how that tendency expresses itself is important.

Too many people place others at risk and that kinda ruins it for the rest of us.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 10:15 pm

He swore he’d never do it again and he started using the 407 to have a more scenic and less stressful drive. Didn’t matter. I stopped going so I don’t know if he improved. When I finally got my licence back I started driving there on my own like usual and that’s much better. I hate being a passenger at the best of times.

Now he’s trying to stop drinking / weed. He’s been doing well but he’s still ADHD and has a brain injury so I’m not taking chances either way.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 10:42 pm

chris1989 wrote:
Does having the flashy cars and stuff make you a man?
You do not acquire "flashy cars and stuff" to become a man; you become a man so you can acquire those "flashy cars and stuff".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2023, 10:50 pm

I’d like to know if the OP thinks flashy cars and stuff make women “a man”.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 4:17 am

chris1989 wrote:
I say that because I seem to think that since the talk surrounding people like Andrew Tate has gone on, I feel as though it just reinforces the idea in boys and young men to aspire to someone a bit like what you see in some music videos where a guy is driving a long in a flashy car, showing off his bling and attracting the women as he goes past.

I don't know if I'd feel more happier or content if my car was a lot more flashy than the one of I've got right now. I recently bought a new google mobile which looks fancy and I feel happy with it but I don't think its made me feel more of a man than when I had my old one.

Personally I would rather have a Toyota Corolla.Its very rare to be in your 20's and a multi-millionaire.millionaires typically dont have flashy cars.Most millionaires dont live flashy lives at all.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 4:53 am

I don’t have a car. Mrs Trueno has a car which is hardly bigger than a roller skate. The public transport here was really good… except it turned to crap lately, like everything else in the UK.

I’ve never been impressed by cars, as long as they get from A to B.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 5:35 am

wouldn't make me more of a man as that is an internal construct but a luxurious car would make me feel pampered. thick carpeting and supportive tufted upholstery and glossy burled walnut paneling and silver/gold trim, total absence of bumps and road/wind noise at speed would make me feel special in a way like somebody was smiling down on me.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 6:14 am

I always used to say that I didn't care about cars, as long as they got me where I wanted to be as cheaply as possible but that wasn't quite true. I take a sort of personal pride in driving crappy cars. I've never spent more than £1000 on a car in my life, I buy them cheap and drive them until the wheels fall off. Then I buy another cheap car.

I used to review 5* hotels as part of my job and I took a lot of pleasure in driving up to these country manor houses in my 98 Suzuki Swift which had been in at least three accidents and had dents and mismatched panels. Particularly if the hotel had valet parking.

But that's just using the car to create an impression of character too, isn't it? I don't know if that's any better or worse than using a car to signify wealth/manliness.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 7:27 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Personally I would rather have a Toyota Corolla.

Even better, several Corollas.
This one just sold for $35k.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 8:41 pm

^^^what makes that one worth so much? :scratch:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 8:56 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^what makes that one worth so much? :scratch:

That one's particularly clean, so I'm sure that's a factor, but it's hard to find them for under $10k, regardless of condition.

Sold for $23.5k

Sold for $33.5k

Sold for $40k

But old Corollas cost this much because of the tofu tax, just like late 70s Trans-Ams have the Bandit tax.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 9:01 pm

Having a flashy car doesn't make you a Man any more than wearing sequined pink dresses would make me any more of a woman. In fact I'd probably look cringy enough to be on a TikTok video.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 9:07 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Having a flashy car doesn't make you a Man any more than wearing sequined pink dresses would make me any more of a woman. In fact I'd probably look cringy enough to be on a TikTok video.

What if I wear the pink sequin dress while driving the flashy car? 8)

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 9:17 pm

what i don't get is why they cost more than a NEW Corolla? :scratch:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 9:22 pm

auntblabby wrote:
what i don't get is why they cost more than a NEW Corolla? :scratch:

That's not uncommon for classic cars. A nice, clean old Mustang/Camaro/whatever will often sell for more than the current one too.

If you're questioning what makes this generation of Corolla a bigger classic than earlier models, it's pretty much entirely because of:

Hence, tofu tax. Just like Trans-Ams going up in value because of Smokey and the Bandit.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 9:23 pm

I mean andrew tate is in trouble for human trafficking and rape, I do not think that is someone anyone should look up to. That said I don't think most women really care about if you have a fancy car or not.