Page 2 of 45 [ 716 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 9:11 am

psych wrote:
girl7000 wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas as to venues? I have problems with anxiety and sensory overload, so it would need to be somewhere that is not too crowded or noisy (although I appreciate that this can be difficult in London!)

One of the larger parks or gardens?

The only problem would be the initial meeting point would probably have to be an easy-to-find landmark* (ideally near a train station), and these tend to be in quite busy places.

Not all that stations by the parks aare too busy. For instance St. James Park station on a Sunday shouldn’t be too busy, as most people tend to use Westminster. The way to the park is a back road that is not busy. Then you have three parks in a row St James, Green Park, Hyde Park. Green Park is the least used. I appreciate getting there can be problem I don't mind meeting people at different locations, if that would be easier. Obviously there is no firm idea of what we will do yet.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 11:22 am

As it put in the opening post there is a meet up scheduled on Sunday 26th of August in West End / Central London. Contact me if you’re interested in this. If you are unable to make it there can be a separated date for those that can't.

The exact details haven’t been decided. Any input would be welcome, also if you have anything that causes difficulties.

Suggestions so far have been going to one of the parks, where there are less people.

Generally speaking, such if it is not tickets to an event. You are free to come later on. You are always free to leave any time. There is no obligation to stay other than for your own enjoyment. I will not chase after people who want to leave, or in the case of panic attacks and meltdowns will leave you alone unless instructed otherwise.

London Meet Up - West End/Central London [Sunday 26th August]
# Details to be decided

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 4:54 pm

Thoughts on a venue:

I like Sunday, it is unlikely to be a busy day especially a bank holiday when most Londoners get as far away from London as possible (of course there will still be lots of tourists).

A common place I have met people for a munch is The Zetland Arms, South Kensington it is easy to find (near South Kensington Tube) but I figure may be unsuitable for some of us.
Nearby are 3 of London's best museums and a load of good restaurants.

We do have some good London parks but this is very dependent on the weather. The forecast is not good, but anyone would know that it is a bank holiday <G>

My call would be to say be at the V2 in the Science Museum for 14:00 hr and then we will wander about together, but this is not good for latecomers :(
Maybe the tea room downstairs 13:30 to 14:30 (Time is relative! morning, midday, afternoon or evening could be fine by me)

Maybe a tea room or similar somewhere else. London is a big place.

I have a white van and a bike and could get to anywhere within the M25 (also known as the rim of the world <G> ) without difficulty.

Please feel free to shoot this idea down in flames - I put it up as a starting point but you never know I might have broken the habit of a lifetime and had a good idea.

Sorry more word than I like to use Summary:

One of London's Museums sound a good idea:
There Free
Indoors
Quite places can be found
interesting things may be seen

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 5:07 pm

How about the National Theatre?
It is usually pretty quite in the foyer and there is seating and a cafeteria etc?

Punctual
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Aug 2007, 5:25 pm

I think during the summer months there is always free entertainment by the Festival Hall on the South Bank, It is close to Waterloo Station, Embankment Underground station and Charing Cross mainline station. There are loads of places to eat round there or people can take their own food. It is nice to walk along the river bank. For those with with some extra cash there is always the London eye. For people who like reading there are alwys loads of stalls selling all types of books. That weekend in London there is also the Nottinghill Carnival which may mean London will be busy

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 7:19 am

South bank is good. But it is generally crowded, especially when there are free events on.

I like the science/natural history museums but they can be crowded, not always. The dinosaur section in the NHM is a stupidly cramped :x . iceb you mentioned the zetland arms. There is really a quaint pub Queen's Arms that is not too busy tucked away in a little cul-de-sac just off Queen’s Gate Muws (runs parallel to Gloucester Road) just opposite Imperial Collage. Map. I'm not a major drinker and probably won't be drinking alcohol then. But it has tables to sit down, not too loud and really good food.

It is walking distance from those museums and also Hyde Park. I went there last time I went to the natural history museum with a group, also some of us went to that art gallery in Hyde Park. It is good if you like modern art, but those don’t can stay in the pub because it is not far or big.

Punctual
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Aug 2007, 10:10 am

This is the weekend of the Notting Hill Carnival. It gets very crowded in London during this time. The Sunday is Children's and Families Day so less crowded then the Monday but can still get very crowded.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 10:29 am

Anyone here from North Texas or Oklahoma?

As of next week, I will be living in the Wichita Falls/Lawton area. I am open to a meetup in either the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, or the Oklahoma City area.

(Personally, I would prefer D/FW because I-44 is a tollway in Oklahoma)

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 17 Aug 2007, 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 10:31 am

Punctual wrote:
This is the weekend of the Notting Hill Carnival. It gets very crowded in London during this time. The Sunday is Children's and Families Day so less crowded then the Monday but can still get very crowded.

Man I'm out of touch. Of course Duh! :D hopefully it will be less busy by south Kensington or further east. Lets try to avoid that whole Notting Hill area. I don’t mind going to the south bank either but it would be good if we knew it was going to be less busy.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 1:05 pm

The Queens Arms sounds groovy to me it is just a matter of those less familia with the area being able to find it.

Yes staying away from Notting Hill is a very good idea!

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 1:16 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Thi

Upcoming Meets:

# Details to be decided

That could be good for me, as "Farewell to London" event.
I'm moving to Cornwall in September. I won't be comng "up to town" anything like as often after that.

Meeting up with unknown folk...
I've been known to carry a four-foot hammer (inflatable ) for identification/assembly purposes(which is then deflated and put away) I don't insist on it, but it beats a pink carnation, or looking oddly at people.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 1:41 pm

Emettman wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
Thi

Upcoming Meets:

# Details to be decided

I'm moving to Cornwall in September. I won't be comng "up to town" anything like as often after that.

I've been known to carry a four-foot hammer (inflatable ) for identification/assembly purposes(which is then deflated and put away) I don't insist on it, but it beats a pink carnation, or looking oddly at people.

Ha, yeh bring it. At least we'll know it is you. My friend used to put an orange in the middle of the table. But inflatable hammer probably better.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 3:28 pm

Emettman wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
Thi

Upcoming Meets:

# Details to be decided

Since my photo has been on here so much, I have little doubt I will be instantly recognisable, plus I am tall.
I prefer south bank myself as both the Festival Hall and the National Theatre are pretty spacious and airy inside. I have been to both in Summer and not found them to be overly crowded. I don't deal well with crowds myself.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 4:20 pm

Graelwyn wrote:

I prefer south bank myself as both the Festival Hall and the National Theatre are pretty spacious and airy inside. I have been to both in Summer and not found them to be overly crowded. I don't deal well with crowds myself.

Of all the London attractions, I've never done the South Bank aquarium since it's been there.
Any good, anyone?

If we're veering south the Imperial War museum is even more that way.
But that may be very much a male aspie venue.

Hyde Park/South Kensington museums gives some choice, and variety to cope with the weather.

JJ
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2007, 4:21 pm

Hey, I may be able to do this, I would be quite interested in meeting up :)

count me in. I would NOT like seeing a movie. Parks / museums fine, pubs, all okay.

JJ

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 5:26 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
Since my photo has been on here so much, I have little doubt I will be instantly recognisable, plus I am tall.

I know normally it not. Just recently with some festivals. I know Jarvis Cocker was doing a bunch of dates there with other bands that he'd picked. But that is over now. I actually quite like gigs, but I know that is not everyone’s cup of tea.