the dangerous contradiction - mind games and social skills

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Morrissey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Dec 2007, 8:44 am

Does anyone else get really confused with mind games?

My trouble is sometimes the only way for me to communicate with someone is to get through deeply. I have really limited social nowhow yet I can get through to people this way with little effort.

I find that my tone of voice get wildly mixed up in straight ahead conversation and even saying something with simple intentions easily twists into something entirely different without me knowing i've actually done it and unsettled who i'm listening to.

This causes me major problems and people will never understand where i'm coming from, it kinda feels dangerous too

:(

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Dec 2007, 8:56 am

yep. the mind-game/honesty/social-game... always a problem.

and i also HATE when guys go around saying they are sick of mind games and they want a girl that doesn't play mind-games, because that is just a LIE, and they really do.

people saying, "i hate mind-games" is usually a mind game.

the last time i was desperatly trying to explain this to someone, and saying how all the rules and the games are all crazy, they just cliched me and said, "uh... the game is called LIFE."

i swear i almost became a serial-killer right then. stupid f****r.

alei
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2007, 9:05 am

I think that because we have to put so much thought into socializing, a lot of Aspies tend to fall into the trap of over thinking thier motives. It comes so naturally to NT's that if we are planning things out to that extent in our heads we must be working to manipulate the situation to our needs. Add to that the intense self evaluation we are prone to and we can drive ourselves crazy.

Although I have very poor natural socializing skills I make up for that with a vast database of human reaction, I've spent most of my 30 years investigating the human sciences. Because I can manipulate with ease I often worry that I am doing it all the time. In truth, I'm not playing any mind games at all, when I want something I am up front and on the table about my needs. I just think too much.

My artistic side: aleigirl.deviantart.com

My ramblings and insights on being an adult with Asperger's: http://alei-cat.blogspot.com/

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Location: Flatting thirds, fifths, and sevenths for over 20 years

11 Dec 2007, 9:48 am

alei wrote:
I think that because we have to put so much thought into socializing, a lot of Aspies tend to fall into the trap of over thinking thier motives. It comes so naturally to NT's that if we are planning things out to that extent in our heads we must be working to manipulate the situation to our needs. Add to that the intense self evaluation we are prone to and we can drive ourselves crazy.

Although I have very poor natural socializing skills I make up for that with a vast database of human reaction, I've spent most of my 30 years investigating the human sciences. Because I can manipulate with ease I often worry that I am doing it all the time. In truth, I'm not playing any mind games at all, when I want something I am up front and on the table about my needs. I just think too much.

That's very interesting to me. I have been thinking a lot lately about how I have spent a lot of my life, even in childhood, endlessly watching human behavior and trying to decipher it. I didn't set out to, I just kind of do. I think it is because I was trying to understand why I don't fit in, and why certain things like relationships and conversation seem to come so easy to others and are so difficult for me.
I can also be very manipulative, and also worry I am always doing it. And I also have a vast database of human reaction.

alei
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2007, 9:58 am

duncansbass wrote:
I think it is because I was trying to understand why I don't fit in, and why certain things like relationships and conversation seem to come so easy to others and are so difficult for me.

The is the conclusion I came to as well. I am fascinated by the way people behave because it is different in so many ways from the way I naturally behave. It started out with trying to fit in but I seem to have given up on that, and it has progressed to a curiosity about people and thier motives in general. Mob psychology is my favorite aspect, what is it about being in a group that makes people stop thinking for themselves, but I digress. I do that. Sorry.

:nemo:

My ramblings and insights on being an adult with Asperger's: http://alei-cat.blogspot.com/

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Dec 2007, 10:07 am

alei wrote:
duncansbass wrote:
I think it is because I was trying to understand why I don't fit in, and why certain things like relationships and conversation seem to come so easy to others and are so difficult for me.

The is the conclusion I came to as well. I am fascinated by the way people behave because it is different in so many ways from the way I naturally behave. It started out with trying to fit in but I seem to have given up on that, and it has progressed to a curiosity about people and thier motives in general. Mob psychology is my favorite aspect, what is it about being in a group that makes people stop thinking for themselves, but I digress. I do that. Sorry.

:nemo:

The digression was fascinating, as I am also interested in the group dynamic and mob mentality. The whole topic interests me, and it makes me smile that I'm not the only one. :D

I also gave up trying to fit in, but my analysis of human behavior lets me co-exist somewhat peacefully in a work environment. I have also been able to see how my own behavior affects other people. I wonder if my bad-a** demeanor (large person, perpetual scowl that I can't help much) and the avoidance of me it causes in peripheral people in my life, can be classified as a kind of manipulative behavior, since I do somewhat cultivate it...

alei
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2007, 10:27 am

duncansbass wrote:
The digression was fascinating, as I am also interested in the group dynamic and mob mentality. The whole topic interests me, and it makes me smile that I'm not the only one. :D
Quote:

:D

I also gave up trying to fit in, but my analysis of human behavior lets me co-exist somewhat peacefully in a work environment. I have also been able to see how my own behavior affects other people. I wonder if my bad-a** demeanor (large person, perpetual scowl that I can't help much) and the avoidance of me it causes in peripheral people in my life, can be classified as a kind of manipulative behavior, since I do somewhat cultivate it...

I definately have a reputation for being a girl who doesnt take any s*** from anyone, and it has crossed my mind that this might be manipluative, after all the main effect is positive in that people don't mess around with me. I'm kind of small so its all attitude, and since I know this there is always the possibility that I am manufacturing it. There is also the possibility, and I think its the far more likely option, that a combination of natural inclination and my experiences have made me who I am today, and that just happens to be a girl who doesnt take any s***. In that case its not a matter of manipulation but of being myself.

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Dec 2007, 10:57 am

alei wrote:
duncansbass wrote:
Quote:

:D

I definately have a reputation for being a girl who doesnt take any s*** from anyone, and it has crossed my mind that this might be manipluative, after all the main effect is positive in that people don't mess around with me. I'm kind of small so its all attitude, and since I know this there is always the possibility that I am manufacturing it. There is also the possibility, and I think its the far more likely option, that a combination of natural inclination and my experiences have made me who I am today, and that just happens to be a girl who doesnt take any s***. In that case its not a matter of manipulation but of being myself.

I also have this reputation, and I think you are correct. I do cultivate that uneasiness in people, but I don't have to work at it hard. I naturally invoke that reaction and perhaps take advantage of it. I have taken a lot of s*** in my time, and promised myself long ago never to do it again.

crisco
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Dec 2007, 3:25 pm

Learing NT social skills can be done but it is brutally expensive, you have to insurance, and know the right people. Right, my thearpist is teach me how to do small talk. It is hard but it comes much more natural.

Basically AS is disorder that needs to coached extensively to overcome. You have a good job and know the right people to get the coaching that I need.

kitsunetsuki
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2007, 7:07 pm

I always see /hear people talking about mind games, i know some guy who is always complaining about this in girls he meets , but i really don't understand what this all is or mind games means and he never explaines, could someone say what this is?

CrazyCatGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2007, 2:51 am

Mind games really annoy me as they're a waste of time and it doesn't help at all especially the poor neurodiverse person like me, I've learnt over the years to understand these things but as a young one I couldn't understand them.

Some people tell white lies to avoid hurting someones feelings and sometimes this is ok depending on the situation but there are times where one should be honest and truth be told some ADDers are total shockers when it comes to mind games....I'm not sure if it's the ADD and unintentional or whether they just do it for the reaction and attention :roll: :?

Selena :)

Morrissey wrote:
Does anyone else get really confused with mind games?

My trouble is sometimes the only way for me to communicate with someone is to get through deeply. I have really limited social nowhow yet I can get through to people this way with little effort.

I find that my tone of voice get wildly mixed up in straight ahead conversation and even saying something with simple intentions easily twists into something entirely different without me knowing i've actually done it and unsettled who i'm listening to.

This causes me major problems and people will never understand where i'm coming from, it kinda feels dangerous too

:(

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 9:28 pm

i hate it when peeps screw around with your head.

witsend
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2008, 5:33 pm

many family, friends, wife etc over the years have become aggressive and accuse me of the "MIND GAME" thing, so after years of trying to work this out, I am at wits end. I have had massive difficulty trying to fathom when, and especially how I actually do this MIND GAME thing, I can only speculate that there's a hidden ability of seeing through people (me guessing) I am blind to most social interaction, but some how I have an ability to say things to people that make them angry, even my lack of saying things, get the accusations flowing.

Most people I think assume because I can have so called intellectual conversations, they conclude that Im very clever, then assume I am very nasty because I say things that really annoy people (NT).

I am only trying my best to communicate.
Has anyone advice, on how to manage this, I can sense subtle hints of NT aggression, but by this time its too late