Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

katefedele
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Mar 2008, 4:38 pm

ok, its one thing for your PARENTS to treat you like a f*****g baby. i mean it's completely horrible and totally wrong, but they are parents, so it's like they can't even help it. but when your FRIENDS start doing it, that's DEFINITELY NOT OK. know what i mean?

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 5:19 pm

When did you tell these friends? I think that, if you tell people you have it early on in the friendship, then they will use it to define you, rather than get to know you normally.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

25 Mar 2008, 7:49 pm

katefedele wrote:
ok, its one thing for your PARENTS to treat you like a f***ing baby. i mean it's completely horrible and totally wrong, but they are parents, so it's like they can't even help it. but when your FRIENDS start doing it, that's DEFINITELY NOT OK. know what i mean?

I dealt with this when I was at a course.
The course was for adults who didn't get an education when younger...and young people who have left school for various reasons.
Anyway, when adults approached other young people there, they approached them as they would someone their own age. But when they approached me, they talked to me like I was a child. They didn't even know that I have AS!

I suggest that you don't tell anymore people until you have known them for atleast a few months and given them a decent chance to know you. Sometimes having a "label" can effect how others perceive you and your abilities.