acknowledging people as you pass by each other

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

qgambit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 May 2008, 4:49 am

Is there a general rule of thumb for when it is considered rude/offensive not to acknowledge another person as you walk by each other in narrow hallways?

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 5:17 am

No easy answers really... depends on where you are etc..

But to be honest when younger I would rather die than have to look acknowledge anyone, the times I wished that I was invisible, eyes fixed to the floor and if anyone came near, redder by the second :oops:

I did grow out of that and grew up, still hate to look but can... where I live now in NZ easy as everyone says hi. But back in London often best to keep eyes fixed to the ground anyway in some parts... 8O

But general rule is really just to acknowledge others, a simply hi or nod usually will do... :roll:

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2008, 5:45 pm

qgambit wrote:
Is there a general rule of thumb for when it is considered rude/offensive not to acknowledge another person as you walk by each other in narrow hallways?

Usually(at least in this country) if you know person and do not have a problem with them you are expected to show some sign of recognition. It could even be nodding your head as long as you try to look at them. you do nto have to look at them directly in the eyes. It is possible to fake that. This can vary from country to country, but if oyu are from the US you should be ok. It is possible to learn about the customs of different countries. :)

PlainBlueSky
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 May 2008, 7:18 pm

I take so long recognizing people that they've usually passed by the time I realize who they are...

Birdgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2008, 2:05 am

I either ignore them, or nod/bow.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 8:03 am

I just walk by, another one i have trouble with is when people pass you in a car they wave why do they do that?

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 4:42 pm

For the longest time, I thought when a person acknowledged you in a hallway that meant something. Now I know that it dosent really mean anything. I have problems when it comes to acknowledging people, i hate doing it. Put it this way, if my relationship with them isnt good enough to stop and talk in the hallway, id rather not acknowledge them at all.

Thomas1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 May 2008, 5:52 pm

I usually just nod. Some people seem to think it's not enough though.

<shrug>

jameslewis10
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 May 2008, 7:19 pm

If I don't know them I won't always. If I know them I'll smile, sometimes a proper toothy grin like this :D

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2008, 8:01 pm

Look at their face briefly enough to say, "Hi!" then look where you are going and keep walking purposefully. If you look busy, they won't try to chit-chat, but they like you to acknowledge that you at least see them.

NoriMori
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 May 2008, 11:30 pm

PlainBlueSky wrote:
I take so long recognizing people that they've usually passed by the time I realize who they are...

I'm the same way. I'll be walking down the street, and someone passing me will say, "Hi!" and I'll be like, "What?" That happened once with someone I hadn't seen for months. I sort of lifted my hand in an absent wave as I attempted to remember who she was, but by the time she'd passed me I'd remembered.

As for the acknowledging thing, I find it doesn't matter. It depends on the person, and on you. I generally don't acknowledge people I don't know when I'm at school because this could be seen as a bit "creepy," especially if the halls are crowded (o_o that's a lot of "hellos"), but I often acknowledge people when I'm walking down the street.
But just a quick guideline: Don't acknowledge someone in passing if they're on the phone, or talking to someone, or listening to music. I generally don't acknowledge people unless it looks like they'll acknowledge me back. Generally this type of person looks polite, generally in a good mood, and laid back. Usually they aren't wearing dark, bulky clothing or fur coats, and they don't have grumpy looks on their faces (avoid acknowledging these people -- usually they only nod curtly which can feel awkward)

Hope this helps! ^^