Have you ever wanted to quit making friends?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 6:01 am

I have moments where I will talk to a random person in an attempt to connect with someone and then they end up saying some really stupid generalizations about something and angering me so then I close back off.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 6:08 am

Social_Fantom wrote:
ebec11 wrote:
I push my friends away sometimes because I need time to myself...it takes so much energy to be social and happy all the time.

Ditto. Only I didn't really push them away, I just ignored them. Now I don't know where any of them are. :(
I'm here!! ! :twisted:

I just tell them I need to work on homework, when instead I just chillax :P

kaytie
Toucan
Toucan

21 May 2008, 3:06 am

i have this stupid belief that people are either good or bad,
it's stupid coz it doesn't serve any purpose but to cause me misery.
i haven't been good in making friends..new ones,
the old friends that have been contacting me either by
cell or emails..etc..i have shaved down to a minimum..
it's hard to explain, it's like i'm stripping everything ..people wise
to simplify things..
i can't stand too many people, it's stressful in the sense i get angry
at the little things they do that offend me.
i wish i could wake up and be a different person. i'm tired.

treeheart
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 May 2008, 7:15 pm

i must agree with what is being said.
i find it hard to have friends...and i :cry: sadly have partially given up...i don't have any close friends...and even if i do they are people who are older than me...like my parent's age...

i am so lost in a crowd....i just want to get out when i do get in....

trying and trying with no avail...
losing to only try to prevail...
in the end only everything loosing...
and it is not to my choosing...

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 8:20 pm

friendship - difficult to get and doesn't last. sometimes, they turn against you for stupid reasons or no reason at all.

I do have friends, but I don't really connect with any of them - on bad days they feel like strangers, but if i didn't have them the loneliness would drive me insane. Now that i've finally accepted that love is a luxury not for me, there is little left apart from friendship (casual dating is just not me).

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 5:44 am

My case is that sometimes I just dont wanna be around people that I dont know. So getting to know new people is very difficult and sometimes I'll just do it but not with the intention of actually making a friend. It makes me feel uncomfortable to be around strange people. And one of my problems is that I do push friends away unintensionally. It'll come into those situations (particularly with girls) I will sometimes say something, they'll get offended right off the bat, and I have no idea what I did. THat happened with my roommate and after that, we didnt talk to each other. I dont know if she ever forgave me, reguardless unless she actually comes forth and truely says everything fine and she means it id be ok. There are so many times when people have to say its ok for the sake of the situation and they dont mean it.
Other friend, our friendship was complicated and somewhat fake from the start in a very strange way. She was trying to help me, but did it wrong(in the end). I got into an argument with her and I wore her out and she told me stuff and I held back my tongue very well in the intial situation. But come next semester, my actions said something very differently. Shes insecure as well so umm things went bad.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 6:46 am

I never wanted to start but my parents tried to force me and had to break up fights.

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 6:00 pm

I've tried making friends, I really have. But I just freeze up when I come to meet potential new friends. I end up saying nothing, I never take any initiative and I find it hard to talk about any interests I have.

The same applies on the Internet as it does in real life. I've never had a meaningful conversation with anyone outside my family for months. Such is life.

frankcritic
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2008, 9:35 pm

I should say that I've always desired friends. Especially, I love organizing social events and entertaining in my home. Growing up with money, you can have the kinds of parties at your house where your whole school, literally, is invited. People see those old photos of pool parties and think I must have had friends. I didn't, and that's why I say I didn't have any friends until I got to college. No friends is better than low-quality friends, no matter how much we might wish otherwise.

-Frank

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 6:15 pm

I've talked abou this in other topics, I'm just in the process of leaving everyone, after trying different (types of) people I've finally reached the conclusion that I just can't have friends, I'm just fine on my own.

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2008, 4:46 pm

I know I've said this in other threads, so sorry if you've heard me say this before, but it seems relevant here:

I no longer try to make "friends" - instead I try to find people who share my specific interests/hobbies. If we end up feeling comfortable enough to do things or talk about other things outside that realm of interest, great. If not, we can still share our special interest. Much less pressure, and it feels less "fake" to me.

And yes, there have been too many times I've thought someone was my friend, and then they just turned on me or flipped out on me for "no apparent reason" and...well it was just awful. I'd hardly speak to anyone except family for like, a year after that.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 12:13 am

I quit trying to make friends a long time ago. I always say I can live fine without them, but on the inside I long for companionship.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 12:13 am

I quit trying to make friends a long time ago. I always say I can live fine without them, but on the inside I long for companionship.

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2008, 9:15 am

ebec11 wrote:
I push my friends away sometimes because I need time to myself...it takes so much energy to be social and happy all the time.

Same, even though I dont push my mates away but I do need that time for myself, even harder when your working. But no I don't quit making friends although if im down i don't really talk to anyone.

kerrissteen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2008, 2:23 am

viska wrote:
I stopped making friends and then ignored all of the ones I had until they stopped contacting me.

I regret it deeply.

can i ask why you chose to ignore them?
i'm worried my aspie friend will do that to me one day :?

LolaGranola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2008, 6:08 pm

Sometimes, alot more now than I used to.