Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 10:24 pm

I have this problem, something I've noticed since I've been on this site more. I don't know if I do it more in typing than in real life or both. Frankly in real life ppl aren't going to be that honest.

I'll sometimes joke with people and notice that they'll either get mad or take what I said in a literal since. Sometimes people know I'm kidding. I really try not to be sarcastic. I was raised with an alcoholic father who was humorously sarcastic. I don't know if that's from him or something else. I sometimes do feel misconstrued with what I say. The funny part about it is I don't handle other people's sarcasms or put downs for that matter. So I don't know if this is related to being passive aggressive or just socially inapproppriate....a part of AS. I've also been told I have a strange since of humor.

Does anyone else have this problem?

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 11:02 pm

No, I'm totally aware of it. It's other people who don't pick up on it. ;)

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 11:16 pm

^Good one. :D

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 11:40 pm

Story of my life, sis.

There was an episode of the show Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends in which the character Bloo discovers the concept of sarcasm and he spends the rest of the episode saying completely incongruous things, and finally Mac is just like:
"Are you being sarcastic?"
"Man, I don't even know anymore." <----- Like looking into a mirror 8O

Growing up in a family of chronic sarcastics apparently causes permanent damage...

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 9:04 am

People have told me I'm being sarcastic or offensive when I'm being no such things. :roll:

Other times, yes; I'm really sarcastic.

Beckula
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2008, 11:41 am

I am sarcastic to the point it's not even funny...

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 2:46 pm

Sometimes in real life people think I'm being sarcastic when i'm not, because my voice is pretty monotone.

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 3:12 pm

I'm not very sarcastic, but sometimes I'll sputter out a serious phrase and subconsciously add a bit of sarcasm at the end - people will get really confused and sometimes pissed off...

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 3:25 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
I have this problem, something I've noticed since I've been on this site more. I don't know if I do it more in typing than in real life or both. Frankly in real life ppl aren't going to be that honest.

I'll sometimes joke with people and notice that they'll either get mad or take what I said in a literal since. Sometimes people know I'm kidding. I really try not to be sarcastic. I was raised with an alcoholic father who was humorously sarcastic. I don't know if that's from him or something else. I sometimes do feel misconstrued with what I say. The funny part about it is I don't handle other people's sarcasms or put downs for that matter. So I don't know if this is related to being passive aggressive or just socially inapproppriate....a part of AS. I've also been told I have a strange since of humor.

Hey! Whaddya mean by dat? (heehee) Anyway...

When people are being sarcastic in real life they usually deliver the line with a flat or intense look on their face and a monotone voice. Now, who do we know like that? 8O

I posted in another thread about the "Aspie look" that a lot of us have a look to the eyes that's dry and almost sardonic. It's like we're thinking, "Oh, brother!" all the time.

I think we do have a dry sense of humor and it shows up in the posts here. That's why we have to be careful reading someone else's posts. I bet Dennis Miller has a lot of fans on WP.

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2008, 4:01 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
Other times, yes; I'm really sarcastic.

Naw! For Real?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 4:37 pm

MysteryFan3 wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

Hey! Whaddya mean by dat? (heehee) Anyway...

When people are being sarcastic in real life they usually deliver the line with a flat or intense look on their face and a monotone voice. Now, who do we know like that? 8O

I posted in another thread about the "Aspie look" that a lot of us have a look to the eyes that's dry and almost sardonic. It's like we're thinking, "Oh, brother!" all the time.

I think we do have a dry sense of humor and it shows up in the posts here. That's why we have to be careful reading someone else's posts. I bet Dennis Miller has a lot of fans on WP.

YES I have been noticing posts with that crack of dry humor. You'll have to post a youtube of the "aspie look" LOL.

Denis Miller, some of his stuff reminds me of what I'd really wanna say but couldn't get away with in public.

kaytie
Toucan
Toucan

02 May 2008, 8:38 am

often...they even make comments that i'm so negative

Stealth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 May 2008, 12:52 pm

Beckula wrote:
I am sarcastic to the point it's not even funny...
same here. People get rather annoyed of me after a while. So I tend to keep my mouth shut.

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2008, 1:44 pm

i'm always joking and people sometimes don't get it, not in real life because i have a big corny smile on my face, but when i'm being sarcastic they take me literally and think i'm stupid and correct me - like when i'm being ironic. For some reason no one expects me to joke about anything - how discouraging. Then i have to go to big efforts to explain, which is tedious. Maybe I'm just an ***

dragonboy
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 2:22 pm

im sarcastic alot and i make sure everyone knows it :lol:

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 3:56 pm

Yes, I've been accused of being very sarcastic in real life. Apparently I have a sarcastic and dry sense of humor. It's hard for people to tell that I'm joking, they often take me too seriously.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History