Page 5 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Airborne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jan 2009, 11:25 pm

Sallamandrina wrote:
I usually manage quite well - being polite and well mannered and smiling when you look at someone seems to work fine most of the time. So is pretending you're interested and hiding your boredom :twisted: . Small talk is also efficient if you can pull i through (it drives me insane).

In my experience, personal appearance is very important for NTs. If they find you attractive, you can get away with a lot (you're considered slightly eccentric or an artistic nature instead of a weirdo). Being successful in any area also brings some respect - at least you won't be seen as ret*d or inept.

But it can get quite tiresome and it doesn't work just as well if I'm stressed or I strongly dislike someone.

Excellent post. Especially the success part, if your a formidable person most of the time people wont jump to judge you. Although some people mistake me as arrogant when I dont talk or engage in what I refer to as "less than appropriate and intelligent" conversations. It also happens with girls sometimes, if someones attracted to me sometimes they get a "Oh well hes arrogant and he thinks hes to good for me" when I dont respond to them (-2 womanizer points right? lol) which is totally false but then again nothing is ever on tract, straight shooting and obvious in the NT world now is it? Also its good to have a smile on your face with your head held high, looking down with a straight face makes you look like a conniving bastard to some, which is just as bad as going up to someone and drop kicking them in the gut to some.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2009, 11:58 pm

Thank you. I've also been considered arrogant or distant by some, but it's better than being patronized, right? :wink:

I never talk to strangers about my "special interests", and avoid what I consider meaningful conversation, but that can also be acceptable in some circumstances. Being a book editor for quite a while, my strong interest in literature is usually seen as normal (although, as a friend of mine once told me, mentioning Dostoevsky in public is a social blunder nowadays). :lol:

Airborne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2009, 7:30 am

Sallamandrina wrote:
Thank you. I've also been considered arrogant or distant by some, but it's better than being patronized, right? :wink:

I never talk to strangers about my "special interests", and avoid what I consider meaningful conversation, but that can also be acceptable in some circumstances. Being a book editor for quite a while, my strong interest in literature is usually seen as normal (although, as a friend of mine once told me, mentioning Dostoevsky in public is a social blunder nowadays). :lol:

Yeah I dont mention anything too intellectual or strange with even some of my close friends. All though I do have knownlegde on a very broad spectrum so I can relate and talk about anything really.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 7:49 am

i can imitate people's voices well. when i am telling someone what someone else said, i imitate the person's words i am talking about very accurately.

i can actually act rather well. as long as all who see KNOW i am acting and they do not want follow up performances (they usually do).

among my characters i have made up that simulate NT's, i have

...a psychotic nun who is ultra paranoid and has a very easily breakable demeanor.

...an old bigoted and entirely racist man who has no teeth and yabbers his hysterically stupid notions about blacks.

.... a dumb lady who does not even believe man really landed on the moon and also believes nothing much that she hears and condemns it with stupid rebuttals.

today someone was with me and a story came on the background TV about the martian rovers lasting so long on mars.

i went into a "beryl" type of accent and said "well it's a wonder they haven't been stolen yet!"

"beryl" is a female name that reminds me of mediocrity in the most mundane sense.

yes i have tried to act NT, but only as an amusement.

actually i have so many characters i can perform that i can not think of them all.

but i do it always when people know i am not serious.
when i am serious i am something they do not understand.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 8:40 am

^^I sort of do some similar stuff at times. I have a few characters that I use either to amuse others or myself or in situations where I need encouragement, like whenever I had an oral exam in front of a commission or a job interview I would get into this character that is a tough gangsta personality type, with loads of confidence etc. (I picture it as Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction hehe). it helps a lot in such situations, for some mysterious reason.

then me and my two friends that I've known since early childhood also have this "game" where we get into all sorts of characters, basically whenever one of us gets into character the rest follows and we leave all the other people extremely puzzled about our behaviour. it's very entertaining, although usually we overdo it and go into parody just for the fun of it. we also often imitate each other, sort of like switching minds and parodying each other.

I wouldn't do that with other people though, with my friends I'm safe because they wouldn't take my unintentional rudeness in imitating them personally.

as to acting NT- I'm quite good at not making myself stand out. but when it comes to acting like a very emotional, touchy-feely NT I immediately go into parody, I can't make it look natural no matter how hard I try. if I was a pro actress I'd only ever want to play villains and idiots, and maybe also smartasses :p

b9
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 9:19 am

anna-banana wrote:
^^I sort of do some similar stuff at times. I have a few characters that I use either to amuse others or myself or in situations where I need encouragement, like whenever I had an oral exam in front of a commission or a job interview I would get into this character that is a tough gangsta personality type, with loads of confidence etc. (I picture it as Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction hehe). it helps a lot in such situations, for some mysterious reason.

i do not do character impersonations for any other reason than i find it amusing.
the way certain types of minds think is hilarious to me.
the "gangsta" style is something i dreamed about once.
it is like a very dangerously dominant style of thought. like they feel entitled to all the world has to offer, and they are narcissistic and drip with gold chains that they have amassed and other regalia of the like.
they are like peacocks who strut and fan their colorful tails (tales) that they have no involvement in the design of.

i have ODD and i am worried to walk among them because i will have to stop and oppose them somehow.
usually i do it with mirroring their style and making it sound very stupid.

anna-banana wrote:
then me and my two friends that I've known since early childhood also have this "game" where we get into all sorts of characters, basically whenever one of us gets into character the rest follows and we leave all the other people extremely puzzled about our behaviour. it's very entertaining, although usually we overdo it and go into parody just for the fun of it. we also often imitate each other, sort of like switching minds and parodying each other.
I wouldn't do that with other people though, with my friends I'm safe because they wouldn't take my unintentional rudeness in imitating them personally.

i think that is funny that you intentionally mislead onlookers.
i had a friend called melinda and we practised talking in a non existent language similar to a middle eastern sounding one.

me: ghool bhubah hurradeen!! !
her: maltek ra hussan et bollabhurrata.
me: balbek da harresmephict!! !

we used to carry this conversation on for ages and people were dumbfounded.
occasionally we would slip into english and reveal that we were able to speak australian accent english.
that made for even more raising of eyebrows.

i like raised eyebrows. they are funny to look at.

anna-banana wrote:
as to acting NT- I'm quite good at not making myself stand out. but when it comes to acting like a very emotional, touchy-feely NT I immediately go into parody, I can't make it look natural no matter how hard I try. if I was a pro actress I'd only ever want to play villains and idiots, and maybe also smartasses :p

i know what you mean i think. i can not play anyone similar to the real me in any play.

the only person i can not imitate is myself.

whatever.... there is a knocking sound coming from my front door

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 11:04 pm

The impersonation thing didn't occur to me. I never thought of creating a persona - someone completely different from me - it was more like trying to represent an "ameliorated" version of myself. I used to categorize people's gestures and expressions until I fully understood them and then I practiced in front of a mirror. I took Pilates classes in order to improve my posture, because I noticed that a good posture often reflects confidence. I've learned to use clothes and make-up in order to project a certain image. In my experience, most people are shallow enough to be tricked by this kind or smoke screen - very few can or are interested to see beyond appearances. My performance for oral exams or certain meetings at work were very carefully staged, I rehearsed conversations and situations in my head. Unfortunately, all the effort could be so easily ruined by anything unexpected or unusual.

I wish I had the skills anna-banana describes - sounds like so much fun!

rennabella
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jan 2009, 5:54 am

I try very hard but end up being seen as a bit weird. Even if I myself think I am doing well the usual case is that I still don't seem completely normal with comparison to them!

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2009, 8:05 am

I can really only aspect of an NT, the funny one, I've found it's the most usefull one, since I can use it in any situations. Otherwise I just ignore people. Busloads of them at the time. :lol:

I do however never look people in the eyes more than briefly. Unless I challange them.

By personal experience I've found out that violence is a good way to convince people to leave you alone if they are harassing you. :twisted: They only like to do it as long as they gets away with it.
They allways seems suprised when you bite back though... :roll:

NTs are generaly stupid. ^^

deathchibi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2009, 8:21 am

I am going to post a link about my blog, It is called "the pain of white clothes and verbal diarrhea"
It is what my research has made me realise.

(if you cant read whole thing tell me and I will post the whole thing here instead)

http://thesunlistenstomygreeness.blogsp ... erbal.html

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2009, 1:09 pm

rennabella wrote:
I try very hard but end up being seen as a bit weird. Even if I myself think I am doing well the usual case is that I still don't seem completely normal with comparison to them!

In a couple of years it will be a lot easier, you can hide the whole lot by claiming to be either drunk or hungover.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2009, 9:42 pm

I don't know if there's a concrete difference unless you're talking about using restraint to hide your autistic traits. This I've done by avoiding stimming. I don't do this anymore.

Alexey
Raven
Raven

31 Jan 2009, 8:25 pm

I'm often acting as NT, usually it enough not to go deep into your own thoughts during conversation, not going into philosophical themes during usual smalltalk, express emotions not too intensive (because it looks more naturally), and making appropriate body pose, face expression and eye contact, etc... Sometimes such "emulation" looks a bit eccentric, but it is usually not a big problem.

odd42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2009, 1:53 pm

acting NT just makes me tired, i can do it, but it took years of practice, and i still ask my wife sometimes what most people would do in the situation (and that has been useful)
In my job I have to work with others all day, often in day long meetings - and their wide range of emotions and social needs just wears me out! I want to go home and retreat into a book or videogame.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 2:59 pm

Sallamandrina wrote:

I wish I had the skills anna-banana describes - sounds like so much fun!

it is fun, but people also keep telling me it's a turn-off :roll:

they also tell me to "just be myself" and "act normal" when if fact acting abnormal is the real me. I have somewhat theatrical, over-the-top facial expressions so people automatically take me with a pinch of salt.

oh well, boo-hoo :wink:

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2009, 3:28 am

Quote:
it is fun, but people also keep telling me it's a turn-off Rolling Eyes

they also tell me to "just be myself" and "act normal" when if fact acting abnormal is the real me.

So it's a turn-off if you pretend and it's a turn-off if you don't.

Boo-doo indeed :lol: