Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2005, 9:23 pm

animallover wrote:
I'm female and I'm the exact opposite - most of the people I like to be around are male because they don't say much and are to the point and aren't generally outwardly bothered by emotional stuff that I don't understand . . .

I have friends who are both guys and girls. Most of my friends are either guys or girls who are fairly science/math nerd-type people, so we naturally have a lot in common.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2005, 9:57 pm

Oh - well, if we are including cats - I don't need people at all then! :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2005, 11:52 pm

I get along better with Dogs than I do people of any Gender. Woof!

sleepflower
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Oct 2005, 4:35 am

animallover wrote:
All that said, I just get along with men better than women - I don't get into the gossip and backbiting and talking about their children's bowel movements that a lot of women my age (and at my work) find vitally important . . .

That sounds horrible. I'm 19 and my peers and I usually talk about school (that's where I met/see all of them). I have one acquiantance (friend?) that is into science-fiction, so I talk about that with her. Not much gossip, and so far no backstabbing.

I get along with cats better than with people. Cats never seem to judge you.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2005, 11:09 am

I get along better with guys, or guys get along better with me, or something. I'm sexed and genedered female and am heterosexual, but nevertheless am regarded by my friends as a "great guy." ((I can see the humor in that at least.)) I AM masculine for a female, insofar as my thinking style (for example, if I hear a problem, my first instinct is to fix it if I can, not to merely commisserate). The vast majority of my friends are male.

Oh, and yes, cats rock.

iamlucille wrote:
Guys are generally pretty immature. I've been lucky to find some guys that aren't, and I've become friends with quite a few of them. The whole sports thing isn't really an issue for me since I play sports too, and well girls... I just give them advice and contribute even though I often disregard their views on girls (I'll be thinking to him: "Obviously I don't agree that she's hot... I think YOU'RE hot."). Sometimes I can get a meaningful convarsation out of a guy. Sometimes. The rest of the time it's just joking, which isn't too bad.

Oh yeah - a lot of guys seem to lack sympathy and respect for girls, or they're just blind to what we think. But that's all i'm saying, hopefully most people have seen different!

I LIKE hanging around with totally immature guys! It's like the childhood I never had! ;) OK, so it woud suck if that was all the social interactino I had, but I can see goofiness as a plus sometimes.

sleepflower
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Oct 2005, 1:57 pm

Serissa wrote:
I LIKE hanging around with totally immature guys! It's like the childhood I never had! ;) OK, so it woud suck if that was all the social interactino I had, but I can see goofiness as a plus sometimes.

I can see how that would be fun, but most of the guys in my vicinity are not immature in that way. They want to have the full attention of the class at all times, and they try to accomplish this by shouting, talking when it's not their turn, constantly making lame jokes, &c. I don't mind goofiness but I don't like people who try to force themselves on others.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2005, 3:05 pm

Ah...it is a bit complicated for me.

I have been bullied,teased,abused,and rejected by members of both genders where it got to the point where I hated girls and became afraid of boys.When I was ages 8-11 I got along better with boys,even though I got beaten up really bad by some of the bigger boys,but after what happened to me at age 12,I became VERY scared of boys.

I hated girls with a passion,because as long as I can remember I have been phyisically and verbally abused and rejected by them.My girlfriend used to touch me all the time when I was 14,and my dislike of fmeales grew.

But since I ahve dated and fallen in love with members of both genders I consider myself to be bisexual.

Wierd,huh?

-SpaceCase :(

Fickle_Pickle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2005, 12:53 am

Well, I dont' know much about what I think myself. In my old high school, most of my friends were girls (I think. Several were boys, but more were girls.) and then when I transfered schools, I found out most of my friends were boys and I only had one official friend that was a girl. That was in the 9th grade. Now that I'm in the 10th grade, when it comes to that matter, the amount of my friends that are boys or girls are even.

(and I understand about not having a gender mentally, I know the feeling. Although about whether thinking more like a male or female, as for me, it kind of swithches back and forth.)

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2005, 5:56 pm

I was viciously bullied and 90% of it was from females, so to this day I am extremely on edge around women, especially groups of women. I guess on a case by case basis I can try to befriend people regardless of gender, not that it's all that easy to befriend either one. I do find it easier to talk to men, mostly because of the reason I stated in the first sentence.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2005, 6:08 pm

I used to find it easier to be friends with males than females. But now days now that im older it problery easier to be friends with females. But then again it does depend on the indivual.
I find it easier talking to females now only because my phisical looks have improved so much that they try and talk to me almost not matter what social screw up I make. And I don't think I make that many screw ups execpt when getting to know people and my problems with eye contact.

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2005, 3:01 pm

i prefer to have male friends because i can relate to them i and i feel more comfortable. and i dont like hanging around girls much at all because most of them are really girly and i have nothing in common with them. but when it comes ot friends i like people who are open and fun.

Kiss_my_AS
Toucan
Toucan

23 Nov 2005, 1:34 pm

Interesting Topic! Well, thinking about it I don't think I have a preference. As a boy who likes sports, I'm pretty sure I've met more guys than gals in my life, but especially in high school most of my 'interesting' conversations where with girls (Interesting as in the not so standard small talk).
The vast majority of them belonged to the not-so-popular kids, but somehow I never let that bother me. That way I became 'the listening ear' for some people, but I learned a lot from who those people where. I 'hooked up' with the popular girls in later years, but that was almost impossible to avoid (not that I wanted to); French Class had 3 boys and 14 girls.

Now at university I have an almost equally mixed group of relations. Aside from students my group of friends consists mostly of males, but that's just because my one true friend only has male friends and girls as.....well, more than friends 8) . They're never that long around or not interesting of to talk with. I'm open to friendships with girls though, if there is the right chemistry.

pink
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2005, 5:41 am

I found when I was younger that females were more competitive with eachother and it was difficult to form friendships because of that. Guys were easier to talk with because we weren't competing for the same things. Now that I am middle aged (50 y/o) I find that nobody is competing anymore. I can be friendly with people in my own age group regardless of gender. Younger females still pose a problem. They are competing for standing on the job, competing for the attention of men, competing for mother of the year. I just smile and nod.

QuirkyCarla
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 4:52 pm

I have an irrational fear of guys for some reason. I can talk to them online fine, but when we're face to face I can't make eye contact and often feel uncomfortable. There have been very few guys I've actually been comfortable around, and usually they were a little bit younger than me. Needless to say, it is rare for me to have a guy friend and I have never been in a relationship. I wish I knew what I was so afraid of. :(

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 5:04 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
ok, all my life, I have always gotten along better, and felt more comfortable around females.

Although I was bullied a bit by girls, alot of the more severe bullying in my life was done by males.

The majority of my friends are females.

My attitude towards males is usually not that nice.

I don't know why this is, but I just don't really like guys. I'm not a lesbian or anything, but I find it very difficut to like a guy enough to want to be friends with him.

I wish I knew why.

I have generally felt the same way and had a similar past experience.

mellow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Dec 2005, 7:56 pm

I think I'm a lot like many of you. I tend to get along better with guys. It's always been hard for me to make good friends with girls. I do have a few, however, I enjoy talking to guys much more. I think it's due to the fact Misch stated a lot girls are more geared to speak about furniture, new clothes etc. Talk of those topics bores me to tears!! !

I've also had some bad experiences with girls from back in school. They can be very mean spirited. Not all of them but that was part of my experience.
Mellow