Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

worsedale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2005, 3:26 pm

Today I went to norwich to buy new clothes I met (accidentally; though I didn't mind) with two people from college on the train.
Well, my friends noted how tense I looked. My body felt odd, every muscle became rigid when I moved and my neck was mostly stiff. In short I became uncomfortable.
When I tried to buy some shoes I didn't look at the sales assistant and I mumbled and stuttered.
This took me as odd behaviour as in general in sheringham I can buy items with out this great akward behaviour. Though I still walk oddly and look tense, I just don't trip over my words as often.
People I know, like those at college I can comunicate OK with. But at things like partys or general crowd things I don't know how to act.
So is this common for sufferes of AS?

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Nov 2005, 3:32 pm

NOTE: I INTENDED TO WRITE WHAT WORSDALE SAID BUT AS WE USE THE SAME COMPUTER I ACCIDENTALLY WROTE IT IN HIS NAME.

HarryofSheringham
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Nov 2005, 3:33 pm

Fairly. Who were the said students young worsdale?

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2005, 3:43 pm

Sounds like overload to me, which is common in AS/autism and I think people with ADD/ADHD tend to experience it too. It happens to me a lot. There are probably threads on it, you might want to try searching the site. Basically what's happening is that at that particular moment your nervous system can't handle all the sensory input that's being thrown at it, so it starts to respond to things in weird (in my case, very autistic) ways.

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Nov 2005, 3:55 pm

Yes, that happens to me too, though in a different way- I just withdraw into my head and start talking to myself.

worsedale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2005, 4:13 pm

Harry, Sam wrote that post not me. as he was not aware he was on my profile.
SAM 5: They were Nicole and Sam L.

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2005, 4:41 pm

That sounds like overload or overstimulation to me. I get days like that too. By this time, I've learned to recognise the signs and remove myself from any social situation I may be in.

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2005, 5:04 pm

Honestly, I act oddly in crowds as well.

Cassidys
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Nov 2005, 5:46 pm

the only time I can really mingle well in a crowd, ecpecially at a party, is if im drunk, I dont like to drink for my problems though, not a good habbit (im not an alchoholic dont worry), usually I gotta be on the same level as all the people around me, for me to feel comfortable, when im at a party and everyone is drunk, and im sober as can be, its very akward.

Aaron_Mason
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2005, 7:05 pm

Cassidys wrote:
the only time I can really mingle well in a crowd, ecpecially at a party, is if im drunk, I dont like to drink for my problems though, not a good habbit (im not an alchoholic dont worry), usually I gotta be on the same level as all the people around me, for me to feel comfortable, when im at a party and everyone is drunk, and im sober as can be, its very akward.

I get the same thing... if I'm drunk and everyone else is drunk, it's OK. Also most of my sensory issues die down when I'm drunk.

AS is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

I'm the same as I was when I was six years old - Modest Mouse

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2005, 7:10 pm

In crowds I tend to space out and start to dissociate in some cases. All of the stimuli is too overwhelming, especially the noise and the constant movement all around me and in the periphery of my vision.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2005, 11:24 pm

Civet wrote:
In crowds I tend to space out and start to dissociate in some cases. All of the stimuli is too overwhelming, especially the noise and the constant movement all around me and in the periphery of my vision.

Same here. I try to blend into the crowds (so people don't notice me, another thing I learned while training to be a Ranger ;)), but others have pointed out that I walk oddly (almost like one leg is longer than the other, but my legs are the same length) and I've noticed that my arms and hands tense up when I'm around other people, especially in crowds.

Sometimes when I feel like I'm going through sensory overload problems, I feel like I want to run into a dark corner away from people and rock myself back and forth. Either that or cover my ears and scream like a Nazgûl (a ring wraith from LotR).

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2005, 10:47 am

That drunk thing is true of me. I've come to notice that unless I'm drunk I can't 'chill out', though the problem then becomes I make no sense and cannot taste, hear, talk or see (it's like someone placing vaseline on eyes) so well.
At the local annual Band festival/battle I felt really odd. It happens over carnival day and there are alot of people I couldn't speak to people I knew well as I wanted to and I felt self conscious. It's an open air event, but I just really didn't feel comfortable until I had a bottle of drink and a ciggarette.

I can typically act OK if I'm in a group of people I feel comfortable with. But otherwise I begin to do stuff like hum Bluemonday, or walk oddly (sometimes I in jest walk like a HappyMonday when I'm with friends). I feel really stiff and my general movemeents make me look like a fan of Kraftwerk gyrating at a discoteque (HYPERBOLE).
Some people look at me as if I'm deranged.

If I'm at a party or I'm trying to met new people, I go up to them and begin gushing about bands that I like and after I've finished, and if they have nothing to talk about that'll interest me I get really bored. Is this typical of those with AS?

Mark
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2005, 1:04 pm

Cassidys wrote:
the only time I can really mingle well in a crowd, ecpecially at a party, is if im drunk

How do you know?

Alcohol makes me less concerned about how I interact with people, but I don't think it changes the interaction for the better (unless I fall asleep!). It also seems to make me less sensitive to sensory problems (though again, that's probably because I fall asleep!).

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2005, 2:54 pm

i hate dances or any social function because of the crowds and i start feeling akward being there. well for one thing i dont know how to dance, and i dont like being put on the spot where people have to see what im really like. at school i can act like myself and i dont have to feel so stressed. and i really dont like hugs i have a thing about body contact with other people.

Cassidys
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Nov 2005, 7:40 pm

mark writes

Quote:
Cassidys wrote:
the only time I can really mingle well in a crowd, ecpecially at a party, is if im drunk

How do you know?

Alcohol makes me less concerned about how I interact with people, but I don't think it changes the interaction for the better (unless I fall asleep!). It also seems to make me less sensitive to sensory problems (though again, that's probably because I fall asleep!).

well, I know simply because it is what I have experianced....