Does anyone have social anxiety disorder?

Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TutuFairy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 5:41 pm

nightbender wrote:
TutuFairy wrote:
nightbender wrote:
no really i saw the big pharma papers detailing how they were inventing it

let me explain something. Here is how it works, they come up with some human problem, lets say not being able to sleep one night, they then call it sudden insomnia disorder or sid, they then market the heck out of and create drugs that affect everone the same way. People then when questioned about say of course i have sid, i couldnt sleep last night,

just like with add

i have seen that the next one they are coming up with is mild depression
even though the current diagnosis catorgory requires like 9 indicators the new one will require only two

and so then people are going to be shouting i have mild depression
even though before no such creature was supposed to exist

people you need to stop allowing your experiences to pathologized
these so called diagnosises are becoming an excuse for people to not to take personal responsiblity for themselves(please note i am not calling aspergers not taking responsiblity for ones self, aspergers is a nuerologic syndrome that requires proffesional assistance0

Saying that mild depression and social anxiety aren't real are no different than saying that Aspergers isn't real. They are all neurological disorders. What would you say if I told you Aspergers wasn't real? You would say that you know it is because you have it. Well guess what? I have both social anxiety and mild derpression, and let me tell you, they are definately real and completely legitimate. And uncontrolable. It has nothing to do with responsibility. Responsibility is totally and completely irrelevant. Nobody wants to be like that. People in the old days didn't "have it" because it wasn't discovered and given a name yet, not because it doesn't exist. If it was all about making money, doctors would have tried to make me, and other people, take medicine for it. You seemed to have looked past that point. Probably because it proves you wrong. Yeah, of course there are some people who try to make money off of the medicine, but people do that with everything. It seems you are the one "pathologized" by your experience at the pharmacy. (which I might add sounds fake anyway. People wouldn't have, and especially leave, such papers out for people to see. That would ruin their "plan".)

By the way: "Pathologize" isn't a word. You're probably thinking of "paralogize".

pathologize is a word
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pathologize

I know what im talking about. I can link you the articles showing that chemical imbalance is a lot a hooey. And no it does "prove me wrong". Let me explain how mental disorders come into existance. The big pharma says,"hey we need a new market for our drug. They then go
to the apa, who are a bunch of racist classist sexist ageist athiest men,which gets 3/4 of its funding from big pharma, who then sit together in a room and vote random behavioral and emotional traits into a disease. Nothing is proven. Big pharma then goes, with thier obediant think tanks and government agencies to promote the heck out it and convince people they have a disease and need for a drug.

And no personal responsiblity is not irrelavant. To many people think they can swallow a magic pill rather than excercise proper self care in terms of eating the right diet, learning stress management and not forcing themselves into stressfull life styles, having the proper philosophical outlook, and getting checked for chronic medical conditions like hypothyroid.

If you think the standard american diet and the standard american lifestyle are normal states of affair you need to think again.

Sometimes things like depression can symptons of something else such allegeries, nutrient defencies, toxic build ups, and certain cronic medical conditions, but again these things are controllable.

You also cant have a disease that does not exist in other countries. For example: up till recent years the people of japan never had any real concept of depression. They didnt have a word for it, because the japanese diet and culture were well suited to mental wellbeing. It was only
until the us pharamacueitical companies decided they were going to convince the japanase that they had a disease they most assuradly did not have, and even invented a word.

and dont go around calling people ignorant because they have a differing view than your own.
:roll:
as for the paper detailing the invention of s.a.d it took hours on of researching, not stumbling across it at the pharmacy

This is about fact, not just different views, so yeah. I will call you ignorant. :roll: Anyway, I will try this again. Whether there is a name for it or not, people still have the disorders. They just aren't named. They still have the symptoms. Still feel the same way. People don't magically get disorders because the "pharma" wants them to. They have them already. The pharmacy just takes advantage of it.

About the bold. Yeah. Thanks for admitting it. :wink:

"who are a bunch of racist classist sexist ageist athiest men" What does that have to do with it?

"Sometimes things like depression can symptons of something else such allegeries, nutrient defencies, toxic build ups, and certain cronic medical conditions, but again these things are controllable"
Keyword: sometimes. And what the hell do you think I am talking about? Those "buildups" and "nutrient defencies" can cause it? Are you admitting that it's real now? It doesn't matter where it came from. People have it and that's all that matters. It doesn't matter if it's controllable or not. What matters is that those things can cause it. They cause a physical reaction, in this case, depression. Something that isn't real wouldn't be there at all if you haven't caught on yet.

You can't have a disease that doesn't exist in other countries? That is dumbest thing you have said yet. Bravo.

And I don't know where you come from, but here in California, pathologize isn't a word. At least it wasn't two days ago when I looked it up.

-Me and Schuyler

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 6:29 pm

Rich people are eccentric. Poor people are crazy.
Rich people are depressed. Poor people are lazy.
Rich people are pampered. Poor people take what they get.
Rich people are sheltered. Poor people deal with the elements.
Rich people linger. Poor people just die.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmPivYlJCug

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 8:58 am

TutuFairy wrote:
nightbender wrote:
TutuFairy wrote:
nightbender wrote:
no really i saw the big pharma papers detailing how they were inventing it

let me explain something. Here is how it works, they come up with some human problem, lets say not being able to sleep one night, they then call it sudden insomnia disorder or sid, they then market the heck out of and create drugs that affect everone the same way. People then when questioned about say of course i have sid, i couldnt sleep last night,

just like with add

i have seen that the next one they are coming up with is mild depression
even though the current diagnosis catorgory requires like 9 indicators the new one will require only two

and so then people are going to be shouting i have mild depression
even though before no such creature was supposed to exist

people you need to stop allowing your experiences to pathologized
these so called diagnosises are becoming an excuse for people to not to take personal responsiblity for themselves(please note i am not calling aspergers not taking responsiblity for ones self, aspergers is a nuerologic syndrome that requires proffesional assistance0

Saying that mild depression and social anxiety aren't real are no different than saying that Aspergers isn't real. They are all neurological disorders. What would you say if I told you Aspergers wasn't real? You would say that you know it is because you have it. Well guess what? I have both social anxiety and mild derpression, and let me tell you, they are definately real and completely legitimate. And uncontrolable. It has nothing to do with responsibility. Responsibility is totally and completely irrelevant. Nobody wants to be like that. People in the old days didn't "have it" because it wasn't discovered and given a name yet, not because it doesn't exist. If it was all about making money, doctors would have tried to make me, and other people, take medicine for it. You seemed to have looked past that point. Probably because it proves you wrong. Yeah, of course there are some people who try to make money off of the medicine, but people do that with everything. It seems you are the one "pathologized" by your experience at the pharmacy. (which I might add sounds fake anyway. People wouldn't have, and especially leave, such papers out for people to see. That would ruin their "plan".)

By the way: "Pathologize" isn't a word. You're probably thinking of "paralogize".

pathologize is a word
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pathologize

I know what im talking about. I can link you the articles showing that chemical imbalance is a lot a hooey. And no it does "prove me wrong". Let me explain how mental disorders come into existance. The big pharma says,"hey we need a new market for our drug. They then go
to the apa, who are a bunch of racist classist sexist ageist athiest men,which gets 3/4 of its funding from big pharma, who then sit together in a room and vote random behavioral and emotional traits into a disease. Nothing is proven. Big pharma then goes, with thier obediant think tanks and government agencies to promote the heck out it and convince people they have a disease and need for a drug.

And no personal responsiblity is not irrelavant. To many people think they can swallow a magic pill rather than excercise proper self care in terms of eating the right diet, learning stress management and not forcing themselves into stressfull life styles, having the proper philosophical outlook, and getting checked for chronic medical conditions like hypothyroid.

If you think the standard american diet and the standard american lifestyle are normal states of affair you need to think again.

Sometimes things like depression can symptons of something else such allegeries, nutrient defencies, toxic build ups, and certain cronic medical conditions, but again these things are controllable.

You also cant have a disease that does not exist in other countries. For example: up till recent years the people of japan never had any real concept of depression. They didnt have a word for it, because the japanese diet and culture were well suited to mental wellbeing. It was only
until the us pharamacueitical companies decided they were going to convince the japanase that they had a disease they most assuradly did not have, and even invented a word.

and dont go around calling people ignorant because they have a differing view than your own.
:roll:
as for the paper detailing the invention of s.a.d it took hours on of researching, not stumbling across it at the pharmacy

This is about fact, not just different views, so yeah. I will call you ignorant. :roll: Anyway, I will try this again. Whether there is a name for it or not, people still have the disorders. They just aren't named. They still have the symptoms. Still feel the same way. People don't magically get disorders because the "pharma" wants them to. They have them already. The pharmacy just takes advantage of it.

About the bold. Yeah. Thanks for admitting it. :wink:

"who are a bunch of racist classist sexist ageist athiest men" What does that have to do with it?

"Sometimes things like depression can symptons of something else such allegeries, nutrient defencies, toxic build ups, and certain cronic medical conditions, but again these things are controllable"
Keyword: sometimes. And what the hell do you think I am talking about? Those "buildups" and "nutrient defencies" can cause it? Are you admitting that it's real now? It doesn't matter where it came from. People have it and that's all that matters. It doesn't matter if it's controllable or not. What matters is that those things can cause it. They cause a physical reaction, in this case, depression. Something that isn't real wouldn't be there at all if you haven't caught on yet.

You can't have a disease that doesn't exist in other countries? That is dumbest thing you have said yet. Bravo.

And I don't know where you come from, but here in California, pathologize isn't a word. At least it wasn't two days ago when I looked it up.

your insulting me but yet to having disprove anything. The psychiatric system is based on nothing more than symantics, so yeah it about views. Something like depression can be a symmpton but it never a disease certainly not a disease of the brain. THe point about the apa being racist sexist classist ageist athiests is that the whole system is biased. Your still confusing the subjective experience people have for the objective made up syndrome. I never said people dont have subjective experiences but what do say is that these "diseases" are attempts to pathologize normal subjective human experiences wich are extremely dependant on cultural values.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 9:00 am

irikarah wrote:
nightbender wrote:
For example: up till recent years the people of japan never had any real concept of depression. They didnt have a word for it, because the japanese diet and culture were well suited to mental wellbeing. It was only

That's a pretty slippery slope you're standing on. You're effectively saying that depression didn't exist in Japan until some doctor cooked up the concept and spread it like a meme. The problem is that your theory relies entirely on the assumption that in every single diagnosed case, the person diagnosed would be otherwise perfectly well-adjusted if it hadn't been for the diagnosis. In order to be true, it also demands that completely well-adjusted, functioning individuals (or people who believe they are) would walk into a psychiatrist's office and ask, "I'm totally fine, but check me out, just in case."

You're confusing pattern recognition with propaganda.

nope thats excatly what big pharma did.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 9:04 am

ANd yeah i could say i had "social anxiety disorder" because i had the darndenst time being around large groups of people but i just didnt care so it wasnt a problem. Hence the subjective value determination as opposed to the objective medicalization.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 9:08 am

I think what a few posters here have did is commited occoms labeling fallacy where by the label for something is confused with the actuall thing.

ANd sorry if i sound unclear. Im still detoxing from the meds that were forced on me for such horrible diseases<sarcasm> as social anxiety disorder.

TutuFairy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 6:21 pm

Dude. You're hopeless. It's not worth arguing about anymore. Whatever though. Your twisted perception, not mine.

Does your medicine help you? Because nobody is forcing you to take it. Is it that maybe it does make a difference?

By the way, maybe people would take you more seriously if you actually presented yourself well, and not had so many spelling errors and other mistakes. Your use of vocabulary is also incorrect.

P.S. There is an edit button. It won't kill you to use it.

-Me and Schuyler

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2008, 8:21 pm

Yup

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 11:57 am

TutuFairy wrote:
Dude. You're hopeless. It's not worth arguing about anymore. Whatever though. Your twisted perception, not mine.

Does your medicine help you? Because nobody is forcing you to take it. Is it that maybe it does make a difference?

By the way, maybe people would take you more seriously if you actually presented yourself well, and not had so many spelling errors and other mistakes. Your use of vocabulary is also incorrect.

like i said, still detoxing, and peopel were forcing me for no reason.

Twisted perception? thats an adhominem

Crocodile
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2008, 1:26 pm

Yeah, I think so. I have read on the interet bout thist, and I totally recognized myself. So yes, I think. I'm not diagnosed with it, but I guess it will happen soon.

I GRADUATED WITH THE HIGHEST GRADES OF MY YEAR!! !! !

TutuFairy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 6:48 pm

nightbender wrote:
TutuFairy wrote:

like i said, still detoxing, and peopel were forcing me for no reason.

Twisted perception? thats an adhominem

I think you mean ad hominem.

-Me and Schuyler

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 6:58 pm

as i said still detoxing. THe stuff screwed with my typing, just another endless negative effect.

Ghost_In_The_Shell
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Sep 2008, 8:42 pm

Yup, I've had it my entire life I think.

brogaguy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Sep 2008, 1:58 am

yeah. i like pie too.

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Sep 2008, 10:47 am

I know I have it, though I haven't been diagnosed. Talking with people, posting things online, introducing myself, and many other things make my sick to my stomach with anxiety. I think it's due to my ASD, because I don't understand what people expect of me.

Social anxiety was what I first suspected when I began trying to figure out what's wrong with me. I knew even then, though, that SA didn't explain all my problems. I didn't feel like I understand completely what was wrong with me until I realized I have an ASD.

brogaguy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Sep 2008, 2:06 pm

Pardon my english, I think I have undiagnosed ASD. My problem is:

1. I dont know how to keep the conversation on or mid-term(i dont know) relationship. Mostly when i meet somebody new, and have a little chat, the next day he/she is like a 'stranger' and I dont know how to expand the relationship.

2. It is very difficult for me to start a conversation with someone else. For example, my classmate(Unversity) (not a close friend) im anxoius when they're sitting besides me whether in lecture hall or computer labs. Sometimes i feel like trash when some of my friend can easily start to talk to them (girls especially).

3. Im having a hard time to interprete one's feeling when talking to them. Some girls think im a weird guy, because I got looks, and I rarely speak to them(maybe 10x/year). And yes i still dont have any girlfriend.

4. When Im attending social occasion, say, a party sort of, where people are having fun, it makes me feel more alone and it sucks, watching them engages social interaction without any problem.

5. I only talk to a person when it only involves something about work, no more than that. Social interaction such as joking/flirting/kidding around makes me sick.

Apart from that, Im in my final year of mechanical engineering and im into classical music.