Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RustyShackleford
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2008, 8:11 am

I sometimes find that trends adjust to include something I just do anyway. For instance a few years ago there seemed to be a huge surge in guys wearing flip flops in the UK. I had already been wearing them for years before because I like to have my feet out and avoid shoes where possible difference was I tend to wear them all year round.

Another one was the 80's metal resurgence a while ago when people that had never before been interested in 80's metal suddenly started listening to Iron Maiden. I have always liked 80's metal and always will.

TRUE
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jul 2008, 10:24 am

RustyShackleford wrote:
I sometimes find that trends adjust to include something I just do anyway. For instance a few years ago there seemed to be a huge surge in guys wearing flip flops in the UK. I had already been wearing them for years before because I like to have my feet out and avoid shoes where possible difference was I tend to wear them all year round.

Another one was the 80's metal resurgence a while ago when people that had never before been interested in 80's metal suddenly started listening to Iron Maiden. I have always liked 80's metal and always will.

Yes, it's so cool when something you have always done happens to become trendy. It makes me laugh, when I have a closet of clothing, that is often out of fashion. And then suddenly I see what I have EVERYWHERE, realizing that my 10-20 year old skirts and sweaters are fashionable again.

Then they go out of fashion for awhile. And come back. But they aren't generally something that is freakish, so that they would turn heads if worn when they aren't in fashion. It's an eclectic combination of things bought new and from the thrift store and consignment shops that *I* like.

Music, literature, art, are always being rediscovered. It becomes a valuable skill to pick out the items that are timeless vs the items that are trendy.

And when someone snooty commented on an outfit that looked REAL good on me, she said "I didn't know that leather was back in fashion"...

I replied "I don't follow fashion trends".

The people that race out to buy the latest trends are probably the weakest when it comes to confidence. They have to appear to be in on everything. They will buy buy buy buy buy. And that is what the retailers hope people will do.

I say it's all a con-job. I don't need to buy something to show I am in on everything. In fact, I don't need to be in on everything. Because those things do not matter.

Likewise, if you choose furnishings from the things that you like, have always liked, things that always give you pleasure, you won't get bored with them.

You don't need to buy a new chair for your desk every year unless the old one breaks. You don't need to buy a new lamp or a new bedding set, if the old ones still work, and are still things you like.

You'll have more money, overall, if you don't follow trends. More money to use on the things you REALLY love.

acannon
Raven
Raven

22 Jul 2008, 2:18 pm

My question is, how do people know what's trendy, and how does it become trendy? Is there some High Council on Fashion who decides that or something? I've always wondered this.

When it comes to a lot of things, I don't see the need to be in-style and trendy. I just want to be myself. The only purpose being trendy had ever served me was to prevent bullying, and it didn't even do that. I don't understand why other women buy expensive bags, multiple pairs of shoes, and new clothes as they go in/out of style. Is it some sort of status symbol or something? Is it like, "Obviously I'm rich because I have so many pairs of (insert clothing item here)"? I don't understand that. It seems incredibly pointless to me.

twinklingstarlight
Raven
Raven

22 Jul 2008, 2:37 pm

Quote:
My question is, how do people know what's trendy, and how does it become trendy? Is there some High Council on Fashion who decides that or something? I've always wondered this.

I think that might be Vogue or something.

I personally avoid trends like the plague. I get really angry if what I do becomes trendy. I'll just drop it.

RogueProcess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2008, 10:35 am

Trends are the most dumb of all the dumb social constructs that society puts itself through.
Fashion trends are especially bad, as it's really just all the big-name designers and manufacturers trying to get you to BUY MORE CLOTHES!! Hey, that top you bought 2 months ago? That you thought was the coolest top you ever bought? Soooooooooooo 2 months ago!! Buy this new one, which will make you more fashionable again!

Ahem, anyway, why the hell would you want to subject yourself to that, when you could just wear exactly what you wanted? Sure, I get laughed at for wearing neon green cargo pants, but I think they're awesome :D

No_YOU_get_over_it
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2008, 3:15 pm

acannon wrote:

Colors - as in shades of certain colors - are decided ahead of time, so that for example the same shade of red won't come twice in ten years. I had tailoring lessons from a former designer (not a big name, just mass production) and she shared a lot of insider 411. I don't know the name of the organisation though, or how it's decided.

Also, what looks like it's "back" will have a different twist, so garments from 10 or 20 years ago seldom will look modern.

Right now I'm completely out of the loop for what's in or trendy, esp. fashion-wise. That's bad if, say, this summer's red is a flattering color for me and I miss the end-of-season sales chance to stock up.

I'd been soooo proud of getting a really solid, flattering wardrobe together. Now I'm realising I look almost stodgy a lot of the time - so much is so dark and so classic, I look like I rolled out of someone's grandmother's attic and probably reek of mothballs. Which isn't something I'd say "this is me, like it or lump it" about. It's risk avoidance. Which I accept on some level, and try to nudge a bit toward expansion on others. This summer I feel oh so daring b/c I've been wearing a knee-length fully-lined white sporty skirt for casual wear. I bought it maybe two years ago at an end-of-season sale, wore it once last summer and it felt too frivolous. A few weeks ago it was cold and rainy and I even wore it with knee high black leather boots.

NB: contents of above post represent my opinion at time of post only. YMMV, NAYY, and most importantly, IALBTC!

TRUE
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2008, 8:55 pm

Much of the color info comes via the Color Institute at Pantone.

You can view a short video on a color forecast here:
http://www.pantone.com/pages/ptv/ptv_youtube.aspx
Select the Home Show 2008 one.

You can also view color/fashion forecasts on their site, like here:
http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/pa ... 4&pg=20378

You'll get a pdf file with many pages, with fashion drawings and descriptions of colors.

There's things on industrial and on paint and interiors. If they mention a color by name or number, but don't show, you can look it up in their paint section:
http://www.pantone.com/pages/paint/paintselector.aspx

But remember, YOUR MONITOR IS NOT CALIBRATED TO PANTONE. So it's just a vague idea of what the color is.

And that is what can give you an idea of what you will probably be seeing in the stores.

QuantumToast
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2008, 2:18 pm

Nah, most of the time I don't even notice trends until they've ended.

As for clothes, I don't think I've ever paid attention to fashion - I just get whatever's comfortable and doesn't look particularly noticeable. Fashion just doesn't make sense to me.

xdragonxninjaxpowax
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2008, 2:46 pm

Sort of, maybe how I dress and look.

But I buy clothes I like the look of within that style and ones that suit me.

Some colours I look terrible in, plain yellow or plain red are colours I look awful in.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 3:13 pm

This is probably the source of my problems with fitting in, but my refusal to follow trends (the ones I don't want to follow anyway) is just a part of my personal rebellion against pop culture. I made up a saying for my attitude about this: If everyone else jumps from a cliff, I'll stand at the edge and laugh. 8)

I do want to fit in somewhere, but not with the "in" crowd. I would say what I think about pop culture but there are children on the forum.

kitty2
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2008, 4:21 pm

No following trends for me. I just do what I like and wear what I think feels good. I think trends are ridiculous and are created so that the fashion industry ca generate loads of money.