Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

TrojanPower83
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2008, 2:25 am

Do you end up making friends with people who are even more socially withdrawn than you to build your self esteem?

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 2:39 am

No, I actually dont. My only other aspie friend is my boyfriend who I met when I was going thru a really hard time. As for socially withdrawn people in general(aspie or not), not nessarily, I used kinda tho. But then I found it harder to get through to a person whos more socially withdrawn especially if Im the one taking the initiative and its not so much mutual. But if its mutual and we get along well then great.

ghouna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Sep 2008, 2:53 am

I have one friend who has aspie. I found it difficult to be a good friend with her. I like her a lot, but sometimes because she speaks without thinking (like i do :D) She can be hurtful...
But we help each other in some area of our life, which is good

(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸¸.·¨¯`·.`.~*

Being me is great!

Liopleurodon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Sep 2008, 4:41 am

Most of my friends are on the introverted side. A couple of them are aspies. I'm not befriending socially withdrawn people in order to make myself feel better though; it's because we have more in common. I am friends with a few extraverts but generally they have to accept that I won't want to see anyone very often, I get worn out by social contact and need to hide, but that this doesn't mean that I dislike them. Some people can understand that, but it's harder to understand that if you're someone who likes to be around people all the time. My girlfriend needs a lot more social contact than I do, but we both understand that and work around it: she can invite friends round and leave me to go and play on the computer in a different room.

Betterclassed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Sep 2008, 5:27 am

princesseli wrote:
No, I actually dont. My only other aspie friend is my boyfriend who I met when I was going thru a really hard time. As for socially withdrawn people in general(aspie or not), not nessarily, I used kinda tho. But then I found it harder to get through to a person whos more socially withdrawn especially if Im the one taking the initiative and its not so much mutual. But if its mutual and we get along well then great.

Yeah, same here.

jewelsspain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Sep 2008, 8:02 am

TrojanPower83 hi is that picture of yours from that brill film where the kid does the wicked dance at the end.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 12:38 pm

Not to build up my self-esteem, but that is usually who I um...wind up being friends with.
I can really only tolerate/relate to other socially akward people....
Most of my friends fit that criteria...

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 12:50 pm

Most of my friends are Aspies.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

QuantumToast
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2008, 7:16 am

As far as I'm aware I've never even met another Aspie...

Adalan
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Sep 2008, 11:37 pm

I find it a lot easier to get along with people who are awkward and withdrawn... I don't feel like they're expecting anything out of me so it's a lot easier to act like myself and actually talk. This isn't something I've done intentionally, it just seems to be how my life has evolved... I tend to befriend awkward people and distance the people with normal social skills.normal

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2008, 1:49 am

TrojanPower83 wrote:
Do you end up making friends with people who are even more socially withdrawn than you to build your self esteem?

Wow, I wouldn't count that as friendship. I'd be just using a person if I did that.

I have two online friends with an ASD and I probably as one RL friend with AS, and I never became friends with them because of thier ASD or because of their social awkwardness. I befriended them because they had good qualities that made/makes socializing with them as pleasant as socializing can be for me.

IRWEASEL
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Sep 2008, 2:22 am

It may sound mean but I don't talk to other aspies at school, their just too nerdy and they bring me down.

Sounds awful, but I find other aspies quite boring and weird and my friends rip on them all the time, so I don't want to be seen siding with them.

Acting NT has it's perks :D