I am on the verge of revealing my Asperger's on Facebook.

Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 7:57 pm

Vigilans wrote:
People will probably already think of you as different in some way, and revealing an autism-spectrum disorder is not going to help. They might see you as victimizing yourself to excuse your eccentricity or just trying to get attention. I don't understand why you would want to reveal such a personal fact to 510 people, your going to regret it big time later. Some people, especially people you don't know in person, might even start harassing you for all you know. In my life, I am the only person aware of my condition, and I can't imagine any reason why one would want to reveal it... Its not a lifestyle choice or something that you should advertise, and other then other people with AS its not likely to win you any support, unless from truly open-minded and tolerant NTs. In fact, if you do have any of these, they're not going to care at all.

I'm on team Vigilans with this. don't!

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2008, 7:59 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
LOL at 510 friends.

You know, I COULD show you a screenshot if you really wanted it.

Anyway, no one answered the following:

Should I publish all of the installments to my journal at once (4+) or just one installment a day?

And after, I'm thinking of putting up a 200- or 250-word summary about my life with Asperger's for people who glazed over the huge read. As long as no one heavily protests, I guess I'll go ahead with that too.

I think narrow-minded people aren't fun to hang around with anyway, so I won't mind losing them so much. With some narrow-minded individuals, I may have to pretend to be someone I'm not!

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 9:09 pm

Why not Spinal Tap it out and wait until 511?

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2008, 9:24 pm

Vigilans wrote:

What do you mean "spinal tap?"

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 9:27 pm

EgaoNoGenki wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

What do you mean "spinal tap?"

Sorry, obscure 80's cultural reference

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2008, 10:06 pm

And finally, on my last installment, I'm considering revealing the fact that I get government assistance through an EBT card and monthly SSI, because having Asperger's makes me keep failing job interviews. I wonder if anyone who wouldn't have hated me for having Asperger's may hate me for getting government assistance.

If any of you get government assistance, how do others react when you tell about it in real life?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 10:34 pm

Team Vigilans maintains its stance of 'why?'. If you were unemployed and on welfare, why would you go around telling people? Contrary to popular belief, attaching negative connotations to oneself doesn't win respect. Not that there's anything wrong with getting government assistance, but who cares if anyone knows? Your trying to get attention in completely the wrong manner.

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2008, 10:40 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Team Vigilans maintains its stance of 'why?'. If you were unemployed and on welfare, why would you go around telling people? Contrary to popular belief, attaching negative connotations to oneself doesn't win respect. Not that there's anything wrong with getting government assistance, but who cares if anyone knows? Your trying to get attention in completely the wrong manner.

I suppose I could leave it a bit more ambiguous by saying, "Even though winning interviews have been more difficult for me than others, and I haven't been employed lately, at least I still get an income and have an apartment to live in. It's a minimal way to live however, so hopefully an employer will be sympathetic to my plight and hire me anyway, so long as it isn't for anything janitorial, fast food, or any lowlife job."

Is this better or still harmful?

Last edited by EgaoNoGenki on 14 Dec 2008, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 11:02 pm

I don't see the big deal or why this is even worthy of a thread.

If you want people to know, just add that you have AS to your profile.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 5:58 am

EgaoNoGenki wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:
LOL at 510 friends.

You know, I COULD show you a screenshot if you really wanted it.

LOL , it's not like I don't believe you but your definition of friend is ...LOL

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2008, 11:58 am

Okay, you all have spoken. (Typed.) I have decided to postpone posting these entries.

However, two forces still pull me in opposite directions here. Part of me still wants me to post them, while another part wants me not to.

I don't think it would feel appropriate to join Asperger's-related groups on FB until after I post these blogs.

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2008, 8:30 pm

tl;dr

End it all?

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2008, 9:35 pm

Mosse wrote:
tl;dr

You are one depressed freak, Mosse.

Of course it gets too long when it reaches 3 pages.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 11:55 pm

EgaoNoGenki wrote:
Part of me still wants me to post them...

Why do you want to post them? How will doing so help you?

EgaoNoGenki wrote:
I don't think it would feel appropriate to join Asperger's-related groups on FB until after I post these blogs.

Why do you feel it would be inappropriate?

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2008, 11:52 pm

Stinkypuppy wrote:
EgaoNoGenki wrote:
Part of me still wants me to post them...

Why do you want to post them? How will doing so help you?

EgaoNoGenki wrote:

Why do you feel it would be inappropriate?

To the first: I think it's so I wouldn't try so hard to pretend to be someone better than I really am. A Wiganese Brit told me that I seem to approach a social situation like a big ... exam. I'll probably get more relaxed and not so tense about socializing anymore.

Also, I can then talk more openly about anything that I wouldn't like to talk about while holding up the "mask" I've been trying to hold. Instead of keeping my lack of understanding of certain social situations to myself anymore, I can ask about their meanings, etc.

To the second: The others will wonder "Why's he joining all those Asperger's groups all of a sudden? Oh wait, he's got Asperger's, does he?"

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 7:17 pm

EgaoNoGenki wrote:
To the first: I think it's so I wouldn't try so hard to pretend to be someone better than I really am. A Wiganese Brit told me that I seem to approach a social situation like a big ... exam. I'll probably get more relaxed and not so tense about socializing anymore.

Also, I can then talk more openly about anything that I wouldn't like to talk about while holding up the "mask" I've been trying to hold. Instead of keeping my lack of understanding of certain social situations to myself anymore, I can ask about their meanings, etc.

To the second: The others will wonder "Why's he joining all those Asperger's groups all of a sudden? Oh wait, he's got Asperger's, does he?"

Thanks for the response! How you answered my first question makes sense to me. :)

As for your answer to the second question, I have to ask...
Will these people actually care if you have AS or not? I think that those friends who don't know you outside of Facebook most likely do not know what AS is, and probably don't care. If they've never met you, it's likely they won't understand, even if you did tell them. They're the "goodtime" friends, they're just around for fun and to chat. You'll know who they are, because when it comes to the more serious conversations they run away or are evasive, and are unreliable in times of need. Goodtime friends quite honestly don't care about you very much, and won't care to even read your notes on AS. They'll just care that you're not a murderer and you're fun to have a beer with. If you have any real friends on Facebook, then those people are the ones who will care about your AS, and it's probably good to inform and educate them about AS. The question though is just how many of your ~510 Facebook friends fall under the "goodtime friend" category, and how many are real dependable friends?

At any rate, I think you will be able to learn something if you do in fact make the post, just keep in mind that some lessons don't turn out the way we think they will, and some schooling (though not all) involves hard knocks. Hoping for the best! 8)