Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2009, 5:52 pm

Ugh, my group of friends of about 15 (only 5 or so are really my friends, the rest are just there) are going to a cottage, and I was allowed to go until I found out drinking is allowed. MY FRIENDS ARE 16! (One 17) It's not even f***ing legal, and because of their stupidity I can't go. Ugh!

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2009, 6:00 pm

I'm sorry you missed out on a chance to hang out with your friends, but frankly, you're better off not being around underaged drinking IMO. One drunken person might get the whole group in trouble, whether by causing the cops to notice that kids are drinking, or by getting caught driving drunk, something like that. You might get sucked in to the trouble even if you personally aren't drinking. Someone's parents might find out and if you're known to be at this gathering your parents might assume you were drinking too (I'm assuming you're around the same age) and you'd be punished. Too much chance of something bad happening.

robbokris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2009, 6:01 pm

ebec11 wrote:
Ugh, my group of friends of about 15 (only 5 or so are really my friends, the rest are just there) are going to a cottage, and I was allowed to go until I found out drinking is allowed. MY FRIENDS ARE 16! (One 17) It's not even f***ing legal, and because of their stupidity I can't go. Ugh!

Do you want to go there and drink? If you do then you're just as stupid as what they are.

I hate drink, it's horrible to do and I've never seen the point really. Despite the fact 95% of all people I know the same age as me or around my age go out and get pissed every weekend, and it's ridiculous IMO, as all you're basically doing is destroying your liver.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2009, 6:07 pm

robbokris wrote:
ebec11 wrote:

Do you want to go there and drink? If you do then you're just as stupid as what they are.

I hate drink, it's horrible to do and I've never seen the point really. Despite the fact 95% of all people I know the same age as me or around my age go out and get pissed every weekend, and it's ridiculous IMO, as all you're basically doing is destroying your liver.

Drinking is good. You are jealous of people who have a social life, so think its a good idea to drag someone down on the spectrum who does. Just spiteful in all honesty.

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2009, 6:23 pm

ebec11 wrote:

And the moral of the story, don't tell your parents about these things. If they didn't know, you still could've went weather you yourself drank or not. If you don't want to drink, you could still do your friends a favor and be their designated driver, that way you still get to hang out with them, except that you may very well also end up saving their lives.

robbokris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2009, 6:41 pm

And the moral of the story, don't tell your parents about these things. If they didn't know, you still could've went weather you yourself drank or not. If you don't want to drink, you could still do your friends a favor and be their designated driver, that way you still get to hang out with them, except that you may very well also end up saving their lives.[/quote]

Yeah I completely agree, being designated driver and not telling parents are good tips there.

typ3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2009, 6:48 pm

Never completely agreed with the law. I don't believe in shaping my morals around something subjective by state. Drinking quite frankly is fun as hell and as long as you know yourself and have personal responsibility you shouldn't worry about getting hurt; that's like locking yourself in because your heard swine flu on TV. Of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't have a point where you have to draw the line, but...

Stop being such a negative worrywart and live it up!! :drunken:

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2009, 6:52 pm

What annoys me about the law is the position my cousin's in, he got arrested for underage drinking the night after he got back from Iraq. The law basically says that 18 is old enough to go fight and die for your country, but it's not old enough to be considered responsible enough to handle a beer.

typ3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2009, 7:38 pm

Well some judges do cocaine, but it's fine as long as they don't get caught. :wall:

FFFFFFFFFin mentality of it all.

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2009, 7:47 pm

typ3 wrote:
Well some judges do cocaine, but it's fine as long as they don't get caught. :wall:

So do presidents, the past 4 for example.

typ3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2009, 8:37 pm

normally_impaired wrote:
typ3 wrote:

So do presidents, the past 4 for example.

Do you mean confirmed or unconfirmed? Some presidents aren't so fortunate to be buddy-buddy with all of those chatty bald schoolgirls they work with.

It's good for them that they don't literally run in their job though, they might get banned from it. :scratch:

reginaterrae
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2009, 8:46 pm

normally_impaired wrote:
What annoys me about the law is the position my cousin's in, he got arrested for underage drinking the night after he got back from Iraq. The law basically says that 18 is old enough to go fight and die for your country, but it's not old enough to be considered responsible enough to handle a beer.

True, insane, maddening. I'm a pacifist, but it still makes me angry and ashamed at how shabbily our soldiers and veterans are treated. I myself am about to turn 42, did too much underage drinking (self-medicating) and lived to regret it, glad the OP is not going and gladder that s/he thinks his/her friends are stupid for doing it. But the legal drinking age being 21 is just wrong.

Saspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2009, 9:33 pm

ebec11 wrote:

I do not see the issue. If your friends want to drink who cares? Just do not go if you are uncomfortable with the idea. You should not enforce your own ideas of what is acceptable on others unless they interfere with you directly. 16 is not too young to be able to decide on things such as drinking. Some people enjoy drinking and may not enjoy the things you like. Would you like them calling you stupid for that?

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2009, 9:51 pm

Meh, stay away from them. Don't drink underage; the rules are there for a reason.
I'd advise you not to drink at all. It's good that you weren't allowed to go; once you see alcohol, in a social setting, it's difficult to resist.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2009, 10:19 pm

MathGirl wrote:
Meh, stay away from them. Don't drink underage; the rules are there for a reason.
I'd advise you not to drink at all. It's good that you weren't allowed to go; once you see alcohol, in a social setting, it's difficult to resist.

Wrong. The law is there for no good reason whatsoever. In Europe they have far more sensible drinking rules and as a result people drink more sensibly.

All you are doing is encouraging him to damage his friendship groups for no good reason.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2009, 10:23 pm

You were allowed to go until YOU found out about the drinking?
What does that mean?
Who prohibited you? You or your parents?

I'm not sure if you're male or female - it doesn't say on your profile.
If you're male, there's no reason why you can't go provided you don't intend to drink.
Underage drinking is illegal but non-consuming party attendance where such consumption occurs is not.

If by some chance, you are arrested, you simply don't struggle because you don't want them to have an opportunity to hit you. Then you ask the nice policeman (nicely) if they can give you a blood alcohol test asap. It will be very obvious that you didn't drink.

Now... if you're female, you might want to consider not attending.
Drunken males can get out of hand and you might be putting yourself at risk.