Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 3:56 pm

Can anyone explain what those mean?

11krage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Mar 2009, 4:10 pm

A person who you have a relationship with, ie. know information about each other, and occasionally talk to each other, but not to a close enough degree to consider yourself friends.

Of course, since different people draw the line of friendship at different places the idea of when a acquaintance becomes a friend can sometimes get a little complicated.

http://the-quiet-ones.blogspot.com/

Zyborg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2009, 5:30 pm

I have hundreds of acquaintances. Most of them obey me.

I approach people who are weak, look lonely or who I get vibes from that they are different. People who are suicidal and ready to follow anyone who gives them little attention and care.

Kenjitsuka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2009, 5:39 pm

An acquiantance is some sort of person you know only very superficially.
It is like THE most complex relationship type you can have!

The distance is incredibly hard to gauge and the rules are bafflingly weird.
The thing is: an acquiantance is someone you know by face and MAYBE first name.
Some act reallllly friendly-like, others totally opposite and ANYTHING in between.
So it is hugely complex to start off a conversation, determine distance etcetera...

Sorry I couldn't help any more!

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2009, 4:42 am

A good but perhaps overly simplistic test is that if your in the same school or office but aren't friends or enemies your acquainted.

RoisinDubh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2009, 11:30 am

Zyborg wrote:
I have hundreds of acquaintances. Most of them obey me.

I approach people who are weak, look lonely or who I get vibes from that they are different. People who are suicidal and ready to follow anyone who gives them little attention and care.

I have always done this, both because they're different, and I LIKE different, and also, mostly when I was younger, because I figured they'd be more receptive to me that people who have a bigger pool of people to choose from.

Dentu
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2009, 11:40 am

An acquaintance is someone whom you're on friendly terms with, but you don't go looking to hang around them. Sometimes you'll talk, maybe even do things together. It's almost always on a situational basis, however, unlike with a true friend where you purposely seek them out when there's no extenuating circumstances forcing you to.

I never go looking for them myself. I just act like my usual self and people seem to flock to me sometimes. Some have actually mistaken me for a follower and ended up kind of shocked when I wasn't an easy lackey. Low self-esteem doesn't mean I'm a push over :)

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 1:32 pm

For me, this is an acquaintance...

Someone you have met. You know each other's face, but sometimes might forget each other's names. You would not invite each other places, but you would be drawn to them if everyone else in a room was a stranger.

Rok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Apr 2009, 1:43 pm

Kirska wrote:
For me, this is an acquaintance...

Someone you have met. You know each other's face, but sometimes might forget each other's names. You would not invite each other places, but you would be drawn to them if everyone else in a room was a stranger.

Well said. That's pretty much my view of an acquaintance as well. I really don't know how you could perceive it to be anything else.