Does it bother you when strangers talk to you????

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

quietangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Nov 2005, 5:29 pm

Man it irks me when people start talking to me out of nowhere. I used to be pretty social when I was younger..so I don't know why it has really started bothering me lately... but just yeaterday I was in the grocery store with my sister and this lady was going on and on about how I neded to clip coupons, that she has saved bla bla bla.. (OK that was when I tuned her out.)
Then there are those folks who say a sentence to you in a store and walk away... I just get left there standing thinking about what they said.. (like what am I supposed to do with this...)

Davius
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Nov 2005, 5:43 pm

Ha...I find it a little frightening sometimes...random strangers on my residence like to just talk to anyone when they are drunk. :( When random people just come and talk about whatever, I really don't know how to possibly respond. I understand often its out of friendliness, and I don't mind it so much if they make a joke relevant to something going on around us, or the like. If I know I can just laugh or dignify it with a short response, its cool.

A few days ago at school, some guy said hi to me. I acknowledged him and then out of nowhere he told me the Toronto Maple Leafs were really good this year. I suppose he was somewhat mentally challenged by the way he told me this. I sorta just nodded my head and he walked away.

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Nov 2005, 6:08 pm

sometimes it weirds me out when strang people talk to me, but i dont mind it much.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 6:08 pm

I don't really like being talked to by strangers, especially if they are coming onto me and i'm not interested.

I can handle it fine otherwise, though.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 7:34 pm

It all depends on -how- said stranger is talking to me.

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 8:01 pm

Oddly enough, usually it doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes I feel more comfortable when a stranger is talking to me (as opposed to completely avoiding me). Of course, I often find that I have nothing intelligent to say back.

It does bother me when people I don't recognize (people I've presumably met but are strangers now) wave to me or say hi. It drives me crazy trying to figure out who they are.

Also, I can't stand having other people touch me. For a while I couldn't shake hands with anyone.

Last edited by Larval on 23 Nov 2005, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 8:33 pm

Yes, it's extremely bothering. Something else I find bothering, is strangers touching you. My coworkers do it constantly. A clap on the back or a touch on the shoulder, it's like a jolt of electricity. I do, though, enjoy flirting (non-verbal) with female strangers. That's fun.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 9:17 pm

What drives me mad are the ladies offering samples of gross looking food at the grocery store. I feel attacked when they try to get me to sample their vile goods. I want to overturn their tables like Jesus with the money changers! It really drives me nuts. I'll arrange my whole grocery-store route just so that I can avoid them. The aisles are crowded enough!! !

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Nov 2005, 10:31 pm

Yes. That's why I'll probably have trouble getting a job. I feel scared when I'm around a lot of people that I don't know. There has to be at least one person with me that I do know.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 10:50 pm

It depends on the person's age and the method that they use. :?

WooYayHooplah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 8:14 am

mummy told me never to talk to strange men, especially those with sweets or puppies.

Lurker_Extraordinaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2005, 9:30 am

If the stranger happens to bring up a subject I'm interested in and familiar with, then look out!.....because I won't shut up about it....It usually drives them away unless I get selfcounsious earliy enough and abruptly end the conversation....which also makes things akward so they usually leave.

If i'm out to get a task done and I'm intereupted by someone, I'll show little interest, blank stare, maybe nod my head here and there.....throw in a little smile maybe.
Basically just humoring them so I can geton with my day. Some can tell I'm not interested and cut things short.

(Usually*) I'f I'm approched by 2 or more.....I try to avoid it completly. I can't follow anything being said because I'm always wondering what the other/others are doing.

* This past summer I was out on the bike, pulled into a restaurant that is a popular motorcyclist hangout so I could rest and take a few pictures.
While taking off my gear off, I see about 10 people ranging from ages 12 to 55 heading staight for me I turn to look behind me and see there is no one else around. I'm like OH NO! 8O

So I prepare for invasion and just focus on the one guy who introduced himself.
Turns out he has the same bike I do and was just curious about my ownership experiences with it so far. We exchanged information about our experiences, then proceeded to go on and on about other stuff I can even remember because at that point I was very ready for the converdation to be over and everyone else to go away.

I think I handeled it OK
It was nice to be reminded that I'm human, but at the same time I could have very happily gone through the day without that experience.

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2005, 10:31 am

I sometimes enjoy talking to people I don't know. Intially at college I'd just go up to people and talk them, I'd do quite fine. Then I really got annoyed because this girl made an intentional yawn gesture and said ''Sam I don't care about Orange Juice".
So I've become unsociable due to me not taking a genuine interest in what they talk about and them just getting bored at most crap I say.

When I was walking outside the forum in Norwich I got bored and saw a group of emo/indie kids I went up to them and told them to listen to The Talking Heads. To my suprise they did and we had a lengthy discussion about music and how nearly everyone in Sheringham/surrounding towns hate the music I like.
If I share a common interest with a stranger I like them.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2005, 11:39 am

A guy in the bookstore hit my shoulder. I think he was telling me to move. I cant stand it when people I dont know do that.

Kiss_my_AS
Toucan
Toucan

24 Nov 2005, 4:55 pm

Yupa wrote:
It all depends on -how- said stranger is talking to me.

cosign

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2005, 7:33 pm

It very much depends on the person, the subject of conversation and my own mood. If I happen to meet another aspie I'm usually thrilled to talk because it so rarely happens. I talk to a lot of people that other people don't give the time of day, homeless people, quiet people, children... If I can control the conversation I don't mind talking to most people but honestly its usually more of a socially acceptable way of talking to myself, getting ideas out, not so much talking to the person as at them (as people have so many times accused me of doing). I do like to talk with interesting people though.