Socializing without drinking and smoking?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 1:11 am

I feel like I can't escape the sight of drinking and smoking wherever I go in the social arena. I don't like the way alcohol tastes and I can't stand the smell of smoke but it feels like if you want a social life, you have to drink or smoke.

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2017, 2:01 am

Of course you don't have to smoke, drink or do/buy/wear/talk or 'go to' whatever you "feel" is expected by others. Be yourself and if they don't except you like you are then you are with the wrong people.

Maybe go to a non smoking place to start with?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 7:12 am

I don't drink or smoke.

You can "pretend" to drink by having a ginger ale.

mr.freeze
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2017, 5:26 pm

Marknis wrote:
I feel like I can't escape the sight of drinking and smoking wherever I go in the social arena. I don't like the way alcohol tastes and I can't stand the smell of smoke but it feels like if you want a social life, you have to drink or smoke.

Just curious, if you had to profile (positive sense) them, what kind of people do you want to hang out with?

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 5:33 pm

I also hate the taste of alcohol and feel like I can't breathe around tobacco smoke. I also hate eating in front of others, and it seems to me like the vast majority of social activities, at least with people one doesn't already know very well, involve food and/or alcohol. Unfortunately I have no suggestions (I really only socialize online), but I share your frustration.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 5:43 pm

You really don't have to cave into peer pressure and do something you don't want to do, such as drink or smoke.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 9:21 pm

doing drugs, gambling, binge eating,

yeah i don't drink or smoke either. costs too much $$. addictive.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 9:05 am

mr.freeze wrote:
Marknis wrote:

Just curious, if you had to profile (positive sense) them, what kind of people do you want to hang out with?

People who are authentic; people who try to conform to an abritary mold because society tells them to do so make me ill.

SpreadsheetMaster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2017, 12:55 pm

I don't like alcohol, but I tolerate it so I'll have a drink or two. Smoke on the other hand drives me insane... There are people who don't do either, but you'll find a bunch who do. I have friends who are smokers, and I always throw my clothes in the washing machine and take a shower when I get home from hanging out with them.

mr.freeze
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Aug 2017, 7:43 pm

Marknis wrote:
mr.freeze wrote:
Marknis wrote:

People who are authentic; people who try to conform to an abritary mold because society tells them to do so make me ill.

Hm, what's your current theory on where to find them? Because I think you don't find them at social events, to many rules of the group to follow.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 5:31 am

Where I am in Australia smoking is prohibited by law in bars and restaurants, so people don't have to risk their health and put up with the smell of smokers. I don't drink alcohol either, my friends have never had an issue with me drinking soft drink when we go out. My social life has never suffered due to being a non smoker and non drinker.

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2017, 6:39 am

Thankfully, it is prohibited in the Netherlands as well. I don't drink, smoke, gamble or do drugs but I also do not have a social life and thus can't really give advise except for what logic tells me; don't do stupid stuff because you feel others won't except you otherwise. It is not worth it!