Do most aspies like offending people with religious talk?

Page 9 of 13 [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 3:42 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Generally speaking you seem to identify with a Deistic principle. ie god/gods exist but do not interfere with the daily running of lives.

then stop calling every single person who is religious, a fundie. What you just stated is what a huge number of us believe.

For every person that call people a fundie, without meeting said person in person, or said person indicting they are an actual fundie, these people will be known as play-doughs (Plato).

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 3:47 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Nambo wrote:
Jesus however saves us from our sins, it is written that those who belong to the Christ will not be judged at all but pass straight to life, like a get out of jail free card.

So to sum up, it is advantageous to know about Jesus because you can escape an otherwise adverse judgement at the Resurrection.

However, people who actually believe in Jesus and know of his requirements, but reject them out of hand will indeed be in a worst position but I would imagine such people who prefer to do bad than to obey Jesus, would do bad even if they never heard of Jesus so they wouldn't have been judged well anyway.

I'm curious what you think my outcome will be? I don't believe in any gods; I'm not even convinced that someone called Jesus even existed. However, I live what most Christians would consider to be a moral life. In your opinion am I facing oblivion or some sort of purgatory in a hell somewhere or what?

Figure it out, I don't know. Nobody does, nor can anyone tell you.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 3:49 pm

MCalavera wrote:
We have a right to criticize religious beliefs for the same reason we have a right to criticize any other view.

Yet all you people scream "fundie right wing racist bigot!" when ever we criticize atheism.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 4:39 pm

appletheclown wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
We have a right to criticize religious beliefs for the same reason we have a right to criticize any other view.

Yet all you people scream "fundie right wing racist bigot!" when ever we criticize atheism.

Hi, are you a poe? I do not think that people are saying what you think they are saying.

I think that you would enjoy the Atheist Experience. It will teach you about apologetics and anti-apologetics.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 5:12 pm

appletheclown wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
Nambo wrote:
Jesus however saves us from our sins, it is written that those who belong to the Christ will not be judged at all but pass straight to life, like a get out of jail free card.

So to sum up, it is advantageous to know about Jesus because you can escape an otherwise adverse judgement at the Resurrection.

However, people who actually believe in Jesus and know of his requirements, but reject them out of hand will indeed be in a worst position but I would imagine such people who prefer to do bad than to obey Jesus, would do bad even if they never heard of Jesus so they wouldn't have been judged well anyway.

I'm curious what you think my outcome will be? I don't believe in any gods; I'm not even convinced that someone called Jesus even existed. However, I live what most Christians would consider to be a moral life. In your opinion am I facing oblivion or some sort of purgatory in a hell somewhere or what?

I figured it out years ago; when this brain dies so does everything that defines me; my personality and memories will all cease to exist. I have no problem with that. I'm curious what Christians believe happens to unbelievers who lead what might be generally considered a moral and good life.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 5:17 pm

Stannis wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

Hi, are you a poe? I do not think that people are saying what you think they are saying.

I think that you would enjoy the Atheist Experience. It will teach you about apologetics and anti-apologetics.

No, I really mean 80% of all I hear from atheists is stuff like what I mentioned. The 20% that don't I have a great respect for.

If you want me to present factual information, present something respectful or complimentary Atheists have said about religion.
If you can't then I will not need to.

Just to humor you, prove the Big Bang Theory, or String Theory is true, and not just theories. I doubt a moving speck seen through telescope is any more factual than the special effects in the movie AVATAR. Suppose an epic arse is just flying a space kite, making that speck? Or space dust traveling outside of a galaxy? Seeing is believing, not knowing.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 5:19 pm

TallyMan wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
Nambo wrote:

I figured it out years ago; when this brain dies so does everything that defines me; my personality and memories will all cease to exist. I have no problem with that. I'm curious what Christians believe happens to unbelievers who lead what might be generally considered a moral and good life.

Most likely you will be given a chance to change your mind at the pearly gates.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 5:53 pm

StuffedMarshmallow wrote:
So I'm no expert here, but after reading a couple of threads and posts in the PPR section, it seems like a large portion of aspies enjoy purposely offending people by attacking or slandering religious beliefs.

I went through a phase where I enjoyed doing this too. I stopped a while ago, but at one point I loved trolling using this technique. I personally think it does no good now but in the past I would do this all the time.

Sometimes I would use mean jokes or make it obvious I had a scholarly justified hatred of this or that belief.

It's not that bad on here, but you can tell some people are trying to troll people with certain beliefs without technically breaking the guidelines.

Do any of you guys do this or have noticed this on here? Be honest. :P

AspE wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
+ 1 FOR THE AQUAS

I found that Aquariuses like to do this. In fact, I am really good at spotting them online now. Whenever someone is saying things to deliberately provoke I ask them if they are Aquarius and they say they are and I am a good guesser but really it's just I notice a pattern in the Aquas. They always try to offend certain others by what they say. They feel like they are doing the world a service this way. So Aspies, no. Aquas, yes.

Astrology is bunk.

:shameonyou: :shameonyou: :shameonyou:

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 6:46 pm

The topic doesn't really interest me much these days but I don't see why people shouldn't speak their minds. We've all seen the rambling and often incoherent god rants that pop up in random threads on the internet. Pasting a paragraph worth of slogans together and capitalizing half of the words at random is certainly no better than a reasoned, if blunt, counterpoint.

And even blunt dismissal is better than crazy. Some of these god posts read like a 1st century peasant rolled in from Galilee and started attacking the first keyboard he spotted. After you read them your first inclination is to make sure your door is locked.

How's that?

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 9:10 pm

appletheclown wrote:

Just to humor you, prove the Big Bang Theory, or String Theory is true, and not just theories. I doubt a moving speck seen through telescope is any more factual than the special effects in the movie AVATAR. Suppose an epic arse is just flying a space kite, making that speck? Or space dust traveling outside of a galaxy? Seeing is believing, not knowing.

The big bang theory, and string theory are not tenets of atheism. The only tenet of atheism is a disbelief in god. Different atheists come to this conclusion by different means. I come to it by observing that theists don't provide convincing proof of god's existence. Were they to provide such proofs, then I would incorporate god into my worldview. The burden of proof should always be on the claimant.

http://www.atheist-experience.com/

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 10:37 pm

simon_says wrote:
The topic doesn't really interest me much these days but I don't see why people shouldn't speak their minds. We've all seen the rambling and often incoherent god rants that pop up in random threads on the internet. Pasting a paragraph worth of slogans together and capitalizing half of the words at random is certainly no better than a reasoned, if blunt, counterpoint.

And even blunt dismissal is better than crazy. Some of these god posts read like a 1st century peasant rolled in from Galilee and started attacking the first keyboard he spotted. After you read them your first inclination is to make sure your door is locked.

How's that?

Well..i
m not sure if you are addressing my posting style or not here...but if you are.. please know that i make it clear that i am posting in a free verse poetic style of writing that does include much word play..and yes that does include manipulating the English Language in unusual and creative ways...

i
m no pubished poet..but there are quit a few internationally known published poets..that compliment my style as unique and effective in getting my ideas across...

But again..this is not a site for poets..but could be..

in my opinion..if people could take something else BESIDE
the sidewalks of life...

and if you are suggesting i am crazy..well knowNOW i'm not...

But if you met me in person..and even watched the way i moved or shall i say float
across the floors i walk..
it might scare..you..
as it is a natural human inclination..to fear what one has never seen before..
in human behavior...
Kids love it..but yes it does scare the hell out of some adults..who watch too many
serial killer movies...:)
There is nothing scarier to some folks..
than to encounter a human being WHO IS fearless....;)

And yes i am fearless..
but now there was a time..when i was diagnosed with Severe Anxiety .. as
well .. shortly before AND AFTER.. i fell to total human exhaustion...

And i am a fairly robust looking fellow ..if you click on the gravatar link below..
in my signature line...

If you are autistic and have not arrived in midlife...
Yet..
Yes..it is very possible a similar fate awaits ya too..

Unless perhaps..it can be prevented..
by understanding what causes it..(AUTISTIC BURNOUT)
http://katiemiaaghogday.blogspot.com/20 ... ctrum.html
IN THE REAL LIFE..WORK WORLD..
THAT IS AN INCREDIBLE RAT RACE..

FOR AUTISTIC FOLKS WHO DO HAVE
PROFESSIONAL JOBS IN REAL LIFE....

PARTICULARLY AFTER WORKING 30 YEARS OR SO STRAIGHT
WITH NO INTERRUPTION....

nah..i didn't keep a job that long..
for being crazy..
or wait..
maybe i was.. to make it that far....

LIFE IS ALL ABOUT
ADVERSITY....

BUT.. MOREOVER ..
OVERCOMING IT...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 12:01 am

No, not your style. I understand your points, or most of them. I'm talking about the:

"And Jesus said x,y,x. For the SON of x,y,z. And NO MAN should... x,yz." On and on for a paragraph in a news story about bobsledding. The random fundamentalist rants that crop up.

Last edited by simon_says on 15 Feb 2014, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 12:15 am

simon_says wrote:
No, not your style. I understand your points, or most of them. I'm the talking about the:

"And Jesus said x,y,x. For the SON of x,y,z. And NO MAN should... x,yz." On and on for a paragraph in a news story about bobsledding.

Thanks .. i appreciate the clarification...
I was hoping that was the case..as i respect your methods of civil communication here..more than most...
strengthens my optimism about humanity...
seriously..thanks...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 1:15 am

No problem. Sorry for the confusion. I don't agree with all of the specific details of your stance but I do agree with the underlying sentiment.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 1:52 am

appletheclown wrote:
If you want me to present factual information, present something respectful or complimentary Atheists have said about religion.
If you can't then I will not need to.

I have occasionally heard some atheists say that the social controls posed by religion may occasionally prevent a sociopath from rape, murder, and pillage out of the fear of hell.
Quote:

It's so amusing when non-scientists say things like '...just a theory.' It's simultaneously breathtaking in its ignorance and snarl-inducing in its arrogance, and here it's accompanied (as, frankly, it often is) with implicit claims about truth with a capital T, Truth, which the religious person usually claims to have better access to via the multiply translated words of bronze-age patriarchs who thought that pi equals three, than the scientists who actually ask the universe for their answers.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 7:29 am

LKL wrote:
It's so amusing when non-scientists say things like '...just a theory.' It's simultaneously breathtaking in its ignorance and snarl-inducing in its arrogance, and here it's accompanied (as, frankly, it often is) with implicit claims about truth with a capital T, Truth, which the religious person usually claims to have better access to via the multiply translated words of bronze-age patriarchs who thought that pi equals three, than the scientists who actually ask the universe for their answers.

Prove the Big Bang happened, prove it, and I will prove to you God exists.

That was my request. I did not request to be attacked.