Do most aspies like offending people with religious talk?

Page 13 of 13 [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,114

26 Mar 2014, 10:19 pm

Hopper wrote:
AspE wrote:
No, it's not even necessary to lie about it. Reason and logic offends them. Making their beliefs look as silly as they are offends them.


No, it doesn't. Many religious people are quite adept at using reason and logic, and many atheists aren't. It is possible to make any belief look silly.

I'll admit to having a liking for offending bigots, religious or otherwise, including atheists who think not having a belief in God{s} somehow makes them smart. Also those who huff and puff about 'reason' and 'logic' and who are give to scientism.

So basically, anyone who doesn't agree with me. :D

Religious people can use reason and logic, but they don't apply it to faith, which is belief in something for which there is no evidence. I refer to theism, because religion can be almost anything. It's not bigotry to dislike faith. No one is born with it, it's not immutable. I don't think I'm all that smart, this isn't an ego trip for me, but I do think I can make a case against faith. I stand against it because I think it's a great force for evil in the world. I've been a victim of it, and I don't want anyone else to be.



AspE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,114

26 Mar 2014, 10:21 pm

Jaden wrote:
AspE wrote:
No, it's not even necessary to lie about it. Reason and logic offends them. Making their beliefs look as silly as they are offends them.


False, making statements like "making their beliefs look as silly as they are" is what is offensive, not "reason and logic" (which is just as subjective as religion itself).

Logic isn't subjective. It's self-supporting, and would be true in any culture or possible universe.



Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,867

27 Mar 2014, 12:00 am

AspE wrote:
Jaden wrote:
AspE wrote:
No, it's not even necessary to lie about it. Reason and logic offends them. Making their beliefs look as silly as they are offends them.


False, making statements like "making their beliefs look as silly as they are" is what is offensive, not "reason and logic" (which is just as subjective as religion itself).

Logic isn't subjective. It's self-supporting, and would be true in any culture or possible universe.


False again. Logic didn't just mysteriously pop out of a black hole you know, people made it up based on their very limited understanding of the universe, in order to try to make sense of the chaos of existence and convey ideas onto other people because they too, have that very limited understanding of the universe. It's nothing more than a tool to help people understand the limited aspects of reality that people are subject to every day, and for that reason, it is subjective by it's very nature.
A perfect example of this is earth itself; until the world was discovered to be round, it was only logical to people that it must be flat because their perceptions and understanding of their environment supported that idea. That was accepted as fact and reason, yet it was completely wrong. Since then, "logic" has evolved and encompassed new territory, and it will again as time passes. But it is no more objective than we are individually, in anything.

Also, in the whole of creation, in this universe, or the next, you'll find that nothing is truly logical, so until you understand the whole of the universe/multiverse, in all it's complexities and mystery, don't sit there and try to tell people what is and is not true in any possible universe, it just makes you look silly.

AspE wrote:
Religious people can use reason and logic, but they don't apply it to faith, which is belief in something for which there is no evidence. I refer to theism, because religion can be almost anything. It's not bigotry to dislike faith. No one is born with it, it's not immutable. I don't think I'm all that smart, this isn't an ego trip for me, but I do think I can make a case against faith. I stand against it because I think it's a great force for evil in the world. I've been a victim of it, and I don't want anyone else to be.


No, it's not bigotry to dislike anything, it's bigotry to assume that you're correct and assert yourself as the "voice of reason and logic", like so many seem to.

Listen to yourself here:
Quote:
I can make a case against faith

Don't you think it's silly to argue about something that by it's very nature is simply a viewpoint that people have? Seriously. You have your views, they have theirs. It is not your job to tell people that their beliefs are wrong (especially since you cannot possibly know that without having infinite knowledge of the universe), it is also not your job to tell people what to believe, and it certainly isn't your right to do so.
Quote:
I stand against it because I think it's a great force for evil in the world.

It's an idea, a belief, it's no more evil than a ham sandwich. Saying that faith is evil is literally no better (nor any smarter) than saying that science is the "devil's work". Evil comes from people, not the ideas that people have. Ideas can't force people to act, nor can they convince people to do evil things. That comes from people.
Quote:
I've been a victim of it, and I don't want anyone else to be

No-one can be a victim of faith, again; it's an idea (again, ideas can't act on their own, nor convince you of anything), people are victimized by other people who use misshapen and misguided ideas to their advantage in order to manipulate others. Faith can't exist without people, ergo people are the problem here. The fact that you were apparently victimized by people who were using faith as their weapon to do so, makes you biased against faith/religion. It means literally jack squat to what faith/religion is.
Let's say an entire city was nuked by someone, their reason is irrelevant, but let's say that they just didn't like the people that lived there. That nuke was made possible through science, does that mean science is evil? Or does it simply mean that people are using science as a means to do evil things? The obvious answer to "is science evil because 'this' happened", is "Of course not, that would be a silly thing to say, wouldn't it?" Same thing with faith/religion.

I end my post with the following:

Anyone that uses science must invariably realize and understand that nothing can be discounted out of hand until there is empirical evidence that proves that something simply cannot exist. Until then, the assumption of non-existence is exactly that, an assumption. And an assumption calls forth one thing to support itself... faith.


_________________
Writer. Author.


Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2012
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,908
Location: The outskirts

27 Mar 2014, 7:26 am

AspE wrote:
Hopper wrote:
AspE wrote:
No, it's not even necessary to lie about it. Reason and logic offends them. Making their beliefs look as silly as they are offends them.


No, it doesn't. Many religious people are quite adept at using reason and logic, and many atheists aren't. It is possible to make any belief look silly.

I'll admit to having a liking for offending bigots, religious or otherwise, including atheists who think not having a belief in God{s} somehow makes them smart. Also those who huff and puff about 'reason' and 'logic' and who are give to scientism.

So basically, anyone who doesn't agree with me. :D

Religious people can use reason and logic, but they don't apply it to faith, which is belief in something for which there is no evidence. I refer to theism, because religion can be almost anything. It's not bigotry to dislike faith. No one is born with it, it's not immutable. I don't think I'm all that smart, this isn't an ego trip for me, but I do think I can make a case against faith. I stand against it because I think it's a great force for evil in the world. I've been a victim of it, and I don't want anyone else to be.


(I didn't mean to suggest you necessarily thought yourself smarter for being an athiest - I was talking generally. Sorry if it seemed so)

I'm an atheist. I don't believe in God - given my cultural background, this would be the Christian God as represented through the Church of England. But that's it. I don't feel any sense of an almighty deity, nor have I had anything that I would see as a religious or spiritual epiphany. Other people do, and have.

There are many reasons people may have a religious belief. They may have been raised so - but then, people are raised without a religious belief, and atheists don't try and explain away atheism that way. They may have been non-believers who had an epiphany. Any psychological or neurological proposition to explain this away can also explain away a believers loss of faith, of turning from believer to non-believer.

Reason and logic start from an assumption. One's argument can be tight and true and good, yet still be wrong, if the starting point is so. When the starting point - "God exists" - is one of faith, it tends to devolve into people shouting past each other. The same goes for non-religious arguments.

People believe all kinds of s**t that wouldn't necessarily stand up to 'reason' or 'logic', either directly or implicitly. God (!) knows I do.

I disagree with religious people in a similar way I disagree with people of different political or philosophical positions. I consider there are examples of all of these that have done harm in the world, but people could easily point to my own positions and say the same.


_________________
Of course, it's probably quite a bit more complicated than that.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.


DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 347
Location: SoCal/Los Angeles

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 347
Location: SoCal/Los Angeles

12 Apr 2014, 10:56 am

Dogmatism
To hold an idea as true despite all evidence to the contrary is an abdication of reason. This is how successful religious leaders present there memes. Convictions are the end of knowledge, not the beginning; they are the enemy of truth. Therefore in there followers this leads to,
Hypocrisy
Group thinking is often the path of no fear and rejection. Following this can lead too major inconsistencies because they can undermine our real values, goals and plans. Our beliefs are expressed through our behavior, most explicitly through speech acts (e.g. "It's going to rain tomorrow."), but they also underlay every action we commit. When our actions reflect inconsistent beliefs we are guilty of hypocrisy. Often hypocrisy goes unnoticed because the connections between beliefs and actions are subtle. This leads to,
Apathy
There can be no logical argument against apathy. If you don't care about anything then that is pretty much the end of the story. If you don't care about leading a meaningless life, then surely apathy is the key.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,945
Location: temperate zone

12 Apr 2014, 12:01 pm

I don't give a damn about apathy!



AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,051
Location: San Jose

12 Apr 2014, 12:40 pm

Using science to debunk religion is always hilarious because the overly religious folks have a hissy fit and get desperate to try to prove the existence of their magical invisible imaginary friend they come up with lame debunkable excuses and when they get debunks they go in loops over and over again then start slinging out insults and threats of fire and brimstone! This is when you know you won long ago and see the equivelent of a child told that the Easter Bunny isnt real only its an adult. :lol:


_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList


aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,831

13 Apr 2014, 7:08 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
Using science to debunk religion is always hilarious because the overly religious folks have a hissy fit and get desperate to try to prove the existence of their magical invisible imaginary friend they come up with lame debunkable excuses and when they get debunks they go in loops over and over again then start slinging out insults and threats of fire and brimstone! This is when you know you won long ago and see the equivelent of a child told that the Easter Bunny isnt real only its an adult. :lol:


Well..

the problem IS..
the force that folks describe as GOD..

IS a NON-VERBAL FORCE...

IT'S HARD TO DESCRIBE AN EXPERIENCE
WITH A NON-VERBAL FORCE...

IN WORDS...

BUT SOME FOLKS LIKE THE DUDE JESUS..
MUHAMMAD...
AND BUDDHA...

GIVE IT A SHOT...

AND NAH..
THE NEW TESTAMENT AIN'T
THE MYSTIC TEACHINGS OF JESUS...

BUT THIS IS
AS 'GOOD' AS IT GETS...

NO MATTER WHO RELAYED THE
INFO..

The gospel of Thomas...

And this gentleman..

Interprets it mostly like i do..
instead of writing another one of my
long and poetic posts...

here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE5MFF2UNB4[/youtube]

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/thomas.htm

And to be clear..
my attempt here is not to prove i am right or wrong..

I already FULLY HAVE THE CHRIST CONSCIOUSNESS
THAT THE GUY TALKS ABOUT IN THE VIDEO...

SO in other words my attempt here ..
at the potential of providing info..
that might spark an awakening
and BLISS IN SOMEONE ELSE..

IS NOT TO OFFEND FOLKS..
ASPIE OR NOT..
WHO DO NOT BELIEVE IN GOD...

THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO
OBVIOUSLY..

AS GOD IS NOT A GOD OR FORCE THAT
CAN BE UNDERSTOOD THROUGH REASON ALONE...

INTUITION AND COGNITIVE EMPATHY IS REQUIRED...

AND SO..
THE EYE OF THE NEEDLE IS SMALLER HERE..
and the camel is larger...

Than most anywhere on the internet..

And why i am here..
for short visits
as i pass through many places ON the internet
AND IN REAL LIFE...
MOREOVER...
i am a warrior for GOD..
not against GOD....

The force that IS..

Not an imaginary being....

GOD IS REAL..
the non-verbal essence..
not
the
word....

But no need to take my word for it..
ALONE...

ALLONE...
there are at least 144K similar folks like
me doing the sIMILAR in the world now...

BOTH ON THE INTERNET
AND THE FULLER REAL ONE...

As the metaphorical rapture..

Is NOW as much as
then..
at the time of the historical man
JESUS or
YESHUA..
in support of ELOHIM..
or god..
or whatever symbol is used
to describe this NON-VERBAL FORCE....

SO HAVE A GREAT DAY
AND ENJOY THE VIDEO..

if ya can...
or

WILL
IT
IN AND ON..
yOur own WILL

perhaps one day...

under sacredloveisallitis...

AKA
GOD2.....
but yah..
only
ONE...

FORCE
IN
ALL..
AS ALL...

ABOVE SO BELOW
OUTSIDE AS INSIDE
IN YA AND OUTSIDE
Y
ASONEFORCE!
FOR POTENTIAL
BLISS
ALL THE TIME

ONENOWFOREVERmoreEVERFORNOWONE

(NOTE: caps added to accentuate communication..
i am not screaming..
i am as peace full as a butterfly floating on earth..
and yah..
AND
in metaphor strong as a Tiger..
But..
ya'll ain't never seen the Tiger..
here..)

That's only possible in FULLER
REAL LIFE
NOW....:)
AND YAH..
I'M DEAD AND ALIVE SERIOUS..
ON THAT ONE2...
BUT AGAIN..
ONLY IN FULLER REAL LIFE2.....
AS ONE FORCE
WITH
ONE....

OH...
and by the way...

there isn't much difference in
the TRUE MYSTIC Christ Consciousness
or the divine way of HUMAN being HUMAN...
described IN Luciferianism..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luciferianism

Isn't that
ironic...

haha..
hehe..

AS
below
so
above...

Everywhere one goes..
WITH
ONE
AS
ONE
one..

AS
ABOVE SO BELOW..
INSIDE AND OUTSIDE..

SACREDLOVEISALLITIS

AGAIN..

AKA
GOD...


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick