Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ProwlingParadox
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2006, 12:22 am

dp405 wrote:

Quote:
Could anyone tell me about his/her experiences with parents that are very protective, or even overprotective? You think is good or counterproductive? What are your opinions/experiences?

My dad was a aspie and was not the parental one. My mum is OCD and very over protective. She was all ways “warning” me about dangers: people, things. This contribute largely to my paranoia, I can not even sleep with the windows open at night I have to make sure every thing is locked. Trying to stop me being friends with people whom` she did not like (every friends I ever had.) constantly telling me they did not realy like me ect. Caused constant fear that people don’t like me no matter how they try to show there do. All aspies have a tendencies to be a bit naive for there age but I was quite bad because she never let me go any where with out supervision till I was 16. Not that she really let me go out once I was 16 its just when I hit 1that age I did some serious rebelling by the time I was 18 my mum realized that she had lost control so she moved more to the “warning” of dangers. Because of my home environment I spent as much time away from home as much as possible, if she hade not talked to me for 12 hour’s she would call me for no reason other then to tell me the weather and to where a jumper, or something pointless and controlling like that. Later this extended to every 24 hour’s almost on the dot. Even now I have bean living out of home almost 2 years she still calls to give me needless pointless instructions on a regular bases.

I could continue and If you would like more detailed let me know but I will probably rant for pages if I don’t stop now

dp405
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jan 2006, 10:32 am

Hi, Prowling Paradox: thanks for sharing.

Namiko, I look forward to reading your email. If you have any questions about screenwriting, I'll be more than happy to answer them as well as I can.

Keep an eye on the board, I'll post more questions oon. Thanks again everybody!

David

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2006, 10:40 am

This takes some thought. It would be interesting to re-enact faux pas after faux pas that we make, and our unintentional misunderstanding of some situations.

Wouldn't Keanu Reeves or Robert Blake be perfect for the role?

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2006, 2:08 pm

dp405 wrote:
Could anyone tell me about his/her experiences with parents that are very protective, or even overprotective?

I was at the other end of the scale. Not abused, but by the time my (non-AS) parents realised that their teenager problem would not be getting me to come home occasionally, but getting me out of my room occasionally, their efforts to move me into the social world were not that understanding or carefully handled.

One of my dad's favourite phrases, when annoyed, was "Get your priorities straight!" In his whole life he never spotted that what he meant was "Get them the same as mine."

Mind you, times change. Nowadays the dad's telegram in "Swallows and Amazons":
"Better drowned than duffers, if not duffers won't drown."
Would probably have the social services straight round.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2006, 3:18 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
Wouldn't Keanu Reeves or Robert Blake be perfect for the role?

I second the nomination of Keanu. ;)

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2006, 4:27 pm

Emettman wrote:
Sorry, wrong Dustin Hoffman film

(ducks and runs)

Whats wrong with Lawrence Olivier in "Marathon Man"?

Sometimes its scary that i can do that.

you mean like
"burnt baby, burnt baby"

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2006, 4:29 pm

I just found out that Keanu Reeves had AS when I joined this forum.

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2006, 4:32 pm

dp405 wrote:
I agree with Emettman that film and mind is always a challenging combination. Film has ways to explore the inner world, some of them more conventional (such as voice over) and others more subtle (behaviour, visual symbolism, etc.). Anyway, it will be a challenge!

So here's a question I throw out there, see if anyone wants to share something. Could anyone tell me about his/her experiences with parents that are very protective, or even overprotective? You think is good or counterproductive? What are your opinions/experiences? If anyone wants to give me his/her two cents, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Yep, lots of them. Not allowed to ride on the road for one on my bicycle. Of course whe had hill a hill on the road from our driveway, but still, and it was a fairly sparsely used road.

She did not let me try out for Football when i wanted to either. I think i have a few paranoid tendencies or anxieties. I rarely leave my house. When around people i am either non emotional and logical, or goofy, or when around strangers, mostly quiet, and quiet sometimes around people, really depends on, if i know them and how many there are. I suppose i may have overly depended on parents to do things that i was either unsure of or not too confident in handling.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2006, 12:06 pm

What's the screenplay about? Is the character with AS also a ninja? Will there be exploding cattle? Has it got a nifty title like "Remember to Dismember" or "Robo Mofo V"?

All of these are important questions to consider when writing a screenplay.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2006, 12:21 pm

A ninja with AS. Interesting concept...

Well, David. I'm the potentially overprotective parent. Society damns me if I overprotect my son and damns me if I don't and he suffers the normal wear and tear boys go though. Really. Every decision I make, such as weither to let him walk to the supermarket on his own, can be seen as a question for children's services. If my older son ever breaks his arm (likely, as he's a real daredevil) the ER techs won't blink an eye. If my younger son (named David, by the way) were to do the same, I'd be questioned as to why he wasn't being watched more closely.

I perfer to explain my actions to the "experts" then damn David to less than a full life. Heck, if he can't make his mistakes whilst young how will he learn to make good decisions. It does wear a person down though.

BeeBee

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2006, 6:39 pm

Sanityisoverrated wrote:
Is the character with AS also a ninja?.

...on a long and lonely journey to locate the one missing fabled design which will render his nunchaku collection complete.

dp405
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2006, 7:15 pm

Thanks, Bee Bee. It must be a fine line to walk.

Lissa sent me an email and suggested that I post some info about my background and why I was interested in AS. I think it's a great idea, so here it is (prepared to be bored...):

I was born and grew up in Barcelona, Spain. I moved to NY in 2000 to study film at Columbia, from where I recently graduated. Since I've been in the US, I've made a few short films. One of them won that Coca Cola competition a couple of years ago and was shown in theaters, so those who live in US may have seen it. Another short film was a finalist for a Student Academy Award, but aside from this I have to admit that the film was not very successful. To make a living, I've been writing for Spanish-language television, both here in the US and in my native Spain. In the meantime, I also work on my real passion, which is feature films, and trying to get one of them made.

I first learned about AS two years ago, when I read an article on The NY Times. I was intrigued because, like a lot of people (especially people in Spain) I has never heard of it, before. I became attracted to the subject, because it revealed a different way of seeing the world. So many things that NTs take for granted and don't even notice are actually complex social constructs. Also, a typical film deals with a hero who has to overcome a series of obstacles. Sometimes, as in movies like Star Wars or in thrillers, this obstacles are usually monsters, bad guys and evil geniuses: literally BIG obstacles. With AS, you can find great obstacles and heroic moments in the daily life that NTs take for granted.

Well, I hope that was useful somehow. Again, thanks everybody for your comments and if anybody lives in the NY area and wants to meet with me, let me know!

Here's another question for whomever wants to answer: I've read about classes that teach socials skills. What do you think about them? Anyone has attended one? Good, bad experiences? Thanks!

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2006, 10:47 pm

dp405,

I too, never heard of aspergers until the Fall of 2004, or that autism had a spectral range. I did hear about autism before, however, but nothing ever clicked about it with me. My brother told me, that several of his friends in high school thought i was like that after seeing Rainman. Personally, I would prefer the movie story obstacles you mentioned, at least one can see and identify those and usually in a timely manner. With those items, its much easier to develop a solution to those problems. I spend alot of time thinking about such things in fantasy, daydreams, thoughts, deep thoughts, or dreams or even nightmares. All of which for me, always prove far better than any video game i have ever played or movie i have ever seen, or even real event i have ever experienced.

Ice_Man708
Raven
Raven

20 Jan 2006, 2:46 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
I just found out that Keanu Reeves had AS when I joined this forum.

he dosnt seem to have AS. i live in cali, near Holywood and so i go to the Sunset Strip a lot and i actually saw him and he seemed to be "normal" (didnt have as)

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2006, 3:53 pm

Whoever told me was right, although I don't remember.