Anyone here sound normal to themselves, but when hear tape?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fayed
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2009, 5:30 pm

my real voice has a higher pitch then the one i hear, and its also kinda irritating to me. In a scratchy ear grating way.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 5:40 pm

I swear machines f**k up my voice; I swear I don't sound like they make me sound.
They make my voice gross. Yuck. :evil:

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

embernator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2009, 7:33 pm

I sound impaired too, which I can't hear if I'm not listening to a recording. I usually avoid hearing myself on recordings at all costs 'cause I dont like hearing it.

ViperaAspis wrote:
Does anyone hear their eyeballs move like it mentions in the article? I can't. My hearing is good, but not THAT good.

I can hear them move, but if I'm not thinking about it I just tune it out. Same goes with my heartbeat and this constant high pitched almost staticy sound that I can always hear in there.

MattD
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2009, 7:48 pm

I have not heard a recording of my voice since i was very young and i don't plan on hearing it any time soon. I once had the nickname "mumbles", and sometimes people ask me to repeat myself.

SweetEvilCindy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 May 2009, 7:56 pm

I can't stand to hear myself on tape. I sound very awkward and weird, in my opinion.

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2009, 8:45 pm

ViperaAspis wrote:
EVERYONE here experiences this. It's due to bone conduction.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -different

The voice you hear on the tape is your 'real' voice and the one others hear. If you want to sound a certain way to others or think you sound too screechy, etc. work on the taped voice.

Does anyone hear their eyeballs move like it mentions in the article? I can't. My hearing is good, but not THAT good.

Oh god. I will never speak again. Really. I heard myself. No wonder no one wants to be around me. x.x I bet my singing is ATROCIOUS.

In other news, Yes I hear my eyeballs move. Just a bit.

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 8:48 pm

Ugh, oh yes. What I hear is several octaves lower than what my voice really is. I've got a speech impediment, too, and can't really hear it, either. It's like I hear what I'm thinking instead of what's coming out of my mouth.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 9:02 pm

i hate my voice played back

matrixlover

29 May 2009, 9:27 pm

My voice is in the childish, very quiet, but high-pitched category. it makes my skin crawl when i hear it on tape.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 10:59 pm

My voice is deep and nasal, both at once. In my head t sounds deep, but out loud it sounds balanced but a tad nasal.

My stuttering and vocal tics are apparently more audible on tape than in my head.

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 11:32 pm

1234 wrote:
The first time I taped myself and really listened I was really surprised.
I was finally able to hear the english accent I have, that everyone else hears.

Other than that I used to hate the sound of my voice, now I'm okay with it. It usually sounds small though:\

I can relate. When I was a child everyone commented on my English accent. The fact I grew up in Wichita, Kansas just twenty years after the 1930's dustbowl and had not made the aquaintance of any British person made that fact quite curious.

I make my living with my voice and pitch perfection. I also speak for those who can't by testifying to our state house and senate.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 12:30 am

vivinator wrote:
well what I mean is when I speak I seem to sound normal but when I hear a recording of myself I sound a little "off"
a bit impaired not that impaired but a bit

Yes and I use to try and improve it by taking speech. But it hasn't helped much. I still have trouble in pronouncing words "differently"...when I say different sometimes the pronunciation is clear and sometimes off. I've even had people ask me if I was from england or sweden a time or two... :?

The monotone and the way I fluctuate is also frustrating. It helps if I slow down enough to where I process what I'm saying. But my impulse control is a little poor even when responding.

I have to say, it's still a shock everytime I hear my voice. But I also find it strange when I feel I appear one way in the mirror but look different or like another person on camera.