Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

CrabRaptor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2009, 11:01 am

Hi, I've pretty much never been legitly diagnosed but I've had my doctor tell me it seems very likely that I would have it, and I've bought a book called Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood. I'm sure alot of you have heard of it before. However, I haven't read it fully, but I'm struggling somewhat with college and I've made it borderline thus far by just winging it with my prior knowledge in computers, but we're getting into CISCO and routing and I'm starting to get lower marks and I have a chance of failing now. I was wondering if any of you guys had some tips on studying and actually focusing so I can look at the book for more than 5 minutes and not go "uh time to go look at facebook".

any tips or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 12:07 pm

I realize that my 'addiction' to things that move quickly (my favorite websites, for instance) has more lure than things that move much slower (my text book) So I have to set aside 15 minutes for study and then go 'lighten up' with my internet addiction for 5 minutes, then back to the books for another 15. This way I am 'rewarding' my good behaviour and not 'missing anything', either.

it's just a training exercise, but one I can work with.

CrabRaptor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2009, 12:28 pm

But how do you discipline yourself from not cheating?

Or do you just use self discipline and that works very well for you.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 12:46 pm

CrabRaptor wrote:
But how do you discipline yourself from not cheating?

Or do you just use self discipline and that works very well for you.

because they pay me to perform, they don't pay me to surf the web. Knowing something is going to keep a roof over your head is a powerful force to make you concentrate on what you need to. I have been homeless, living in a tent. All I have to do is close my eyes and remember that experience and it strengthens my resolve.

I don't know what would work for you.

infinitellipsis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2009, 3:39 pm

What works for me is if you don't need your laptop just turn it off and stick it somewhere thats not around your study space. Then crack open your book. Oh, make sure your work space is clean so you won't get distracted. Another thing that works for me is telling myself to stay put in my chair so I won't have the mobility to go pick up my guitar or reorganize my shelf..

hope this helps!

^^