Anything you abhor more than a cocktail party?

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

How much do you abhor cocktail parties?
Love'em, I'm a mingling success 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Please let me die before 61%  61%  [ 33 ]
I'm not so bad at it, actually 22%  22%  [ 12 ]
Other or just enjoy voting or want to see results or Greentea rocks 17%  17%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 54

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 3:45 am

Do I get free booze (and a lot of it at that)? Apart from free booze, I see no redeeming point to a party. I'm cool with drinking by myself....

Night clubs would have to be the worst IMO; silly people at a stupid level of proximity; out of my bubble, foul creatures (most of the people would be silly/stupid, anyway), silly music (the same), and booze has to be bought via money.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 4:27 am

^ I have to agree. I simply cannot keep up in any social group event. If I see people it is one on one and it is very rarely i will go to a group thing.
Very occasionally i have to for my work/special interest. I find it very difficult and i experience enormous anxiety around it. i cannot actually see the point for myself - as the whole thing is just yucky. i am told by others that get togethers are fun and enjoyable. I have never found them to be.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 4:43 am

yeah...this is why I own my own business; one of the reasons, anyway.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 4:45 am

Greentea wrote:
I mean, a cocktail party where being seen mingling successfully is crucial for your business/job/whatever and be seen as a loner can be a career downfall or something.

f**k that s**t.

>>Please let me die before

Given they'll be focusing on normalfaggotry too and you can't stray too far...

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 4:49 am

Personally, I never understood the point of those parties that are for networking purposes. Parties are for fun, why spoil it by turning it into some sort of social competition?

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 5:04 am

zen_mistress wrote:
Personally, I never understood the point of those parties that are for networking purposes. Parties are for fun, why spoil it by turning it into some sort of social competition?

That's exactly what I wonder too! After all, it's just a bunch of people trying to look like they're enjoying themselves at a party, when they're actually working hard instead, and no enjoyment. NTs are more able than us at this kind of thing, which doesn't mean they enjoy them. This having to pretend that you're partying when you're working is a ridiculous invention. I'm sure that, like with all stupid customs, one day it'll stop being fashionable and people will look at these things as ridiculous things that were done in the past, like it used to be fashionable to "party" together and pretend to enjoy stoning a woman for having cheated on her husband. Primitive, torturing customs that will be obsolete one day.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 5:33 am

Work Christmas parties and school formals would be the only formal parties I've been to. Most of the time I find a group of people to just stand with and give the illusion that I'm 'mingling'.

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

02 Jun 2009, 1:12 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
When I was younger though (in adolescence), if I was forced to go to a party where I didn't know people I would bring a book and read the whole time. Now I realize that other people think that is odd.

I used to do that all the time as a kid and teen. (So did Neil Gaiman, apparently. Who is NT as far as I know, but hey...we're in good company. :D )

elancee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2009, 6:47 pm

Saja wrote:
I can and do enjoy this kind of thing when it's with friends, but the more people I don't know, the more I dread it.

That's me all the way. If it's not with close friends, forget it!

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 10:43 pm

Beer and a few joints with the rednecks and the black guys and the Spanish guys on a construction crew ain't too bad. The Spanish guys find it hilarious how I massacre their language but still get a point across, and people usually remind me about something weird and outrageous I've done. Then we're expected to eat a lot. All stuff I can relate to.

As to them sophisticates, I never have any idea what's actually going on, and they aren't too interesting, even when they're talking about something I'm interested in.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina