Why do people link aspies with maths/logical things?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2009, 10:36 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I'm not sure, but I'm also not sure why science and creativity are commonly though of as opposites.

I have to agree with that ! I am a scientist but I am not very keen on maths. The maths fans might hate me for this but I would like to point out that much of chemistry and biology can not be understood with just maths. The chemical and biological enigmas can not be explained using maths they can only be understood by those who can think in the right way.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2009, 10:38 pm

Because many science majors in general require a higher level of math than non-science majors.
Because Asperger-friendly occupations are not found among people-oriented occupations, they are found among technology-oriented occupations.
Because higher rates of Asperger's syndrome are found among children whose parents have gone into engineering become scientists or accountants
Because computers, microscopes or chemicals usually don't go behind your back. What you see is what you get.

Being thought of as a science or a computer geek is not necessarily a bad thing. It is far better than being perceived as a crackpot or someone shooting up a college campus.

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2009, 10:50 pm

I don't know why people think all autistics are good with math/science. Maybe it's because how the media protrays us (Rain Man), or maybe it's because of statistics. I mean, I'm good in math, but I hate it. I do well in science, but I think it's flawed in some aspects, or at least corrupt when it blends in with politics and education. I like English and other languages more than the former. The idea that every autistic like math/science is like saying that every black person likes basketball or saying that the Aryan race actually exist somewhere in this speck of a planet. Complete nonsense.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2009, 10:54 pm

Because I am.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 1:07 am

CelticGoddess wrote:
Lecks wrote:
Creativity isn't only about imagery, writing and music. It affects every part of life. If anything, I think creativity, in all it's forms, is heavily present in all aspies. Not nessecarily superior to NT's, but in many cases much more focused.

Ahh....very well said. 8)

As for me, I'm awful at Math and Science. My forte is English, History, and Music.

Funny, I'm great at math, computers, and music. Awful at English literature. History I warmed up to over the years.

We're all so very different.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 2:56 am

It's because there is an association between some with AS and mathematical giftedness. However, it's been found the majority with AS may have a relative maths weakness. The association of AS with being logical may be due to the propensity to systemise.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 4:46 am

To be fair, I'm lousy at math and science. I love history though. History, economics, and toys. Those are my things.

And being logical? I thought that was a trait of Autistic folks too. I mean, hell, we might as well be since we have a bit of an emotional disconnect.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 7:20 am

Usagi1992 wrote:
Well, I think it's because of the movie "Rain Man" that the NT public assumes that all autistics are awesome with math. I mean, I am, but I'm sure that there are some examples of merely mediocre math/logic skills among Auties/Aspies.

I think "Rain Man" played a role, but other appearance in the media too.

It is the problem any minority faces that their appearance in the mind of the majority is coined by the appearance within the media, because the vast majority does not get their world view from first hand experiences, but via the media. Those media are of highly different quality and the higher the quality of reporting the smaller is the audience.

We may regret this fact, but it is the case we had to live with.

hostilebanana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2009, 8:06 am

I am very odd in this, because I love writing, but I am very good at maths and science. I pick up the mathematical/scientific models very easily, but they bore me to tears.