Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

miserylovescompany
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 7:50 am

I've come a long way in the 3 & a half years since a hellish experience in supported living. I now live with my boyfriend in another town and am pretty happy with him :)

However I've come to realise that there is not enough fullfilling activity in my life anymore. I need/want to take up some further education. I'm a computer dork (lol) who's pretty interested in taking up something along those lines. I'm not sure where I want to start, any area of computing would do I spose, although I'm more keen on networking/programming/hardware. I have a specific interest in cybercrime and forensic computing, only an interest lol, I know I could never go that far.

Anyway every time I have tried to do any sort of course or activity, it's fallen through thanks to me not being able to stick at it.

I've been having some odd symptoms, which are currantly being medicaly investigated, I think they're hormonal as I only get them round my periods. Doctor is testing me for thyroid gland problems & a few other things right now.

This has put me off many times as it's taken me like 2 years to get to the doctor, heh.

I am about to phone the college to see if it's possible to make an appointment to go & talk to someone about my AS and what sort of thing would be best suited to me. I also have a problem regarding the fees as we have no spare money to cover things like that. My mum said she'd pay but I don't know up to how much.

If anyone has any ideas on how I could avoid failing this time and actualy enjoy doing this, or what area of computing would be good to start in, please let me know.

I can do all the basic stuff, turn it on (lol), word pro, spreadsheet, internet, I can identify most PC hardware, install/config/uninstall programs/hardware, I'm pretty up on the windows OS's although not so on the others like Mac & Linux yet, detect & identify faults at a basic level. I have a vague knowledge of programming and bits & bobs of other computing concepts too, and a very eager interest to learn more!.

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 7:57 am

hmmmm

I would stay away from computers....

if your not already a "pro programmer" on your own accord than you never will be one sadly.

computer programming is one of those things where the sterotype is true... you have to be a full on hacker to be interested enough to learn more.

I am a prime example - know everything from DOS days totoday - but it's all tinckering. I still waste alot of time tinckering, and even program (web mostly) ... but I would never be able to make aliving from it (and real programmers don't even have certificates - they aren't old enough to get them) :D

miserylovescompany
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 8:04 am

Yeah I get that impression lol. Computing is the only thing I'm remotly good enough at and interested to be able to do something with though, thats my dilemma.

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 8:13 am

Look, you don't need a degree to make money....

if you like staring at the screen all day try out resume writing...

post some pamphlets in obvious locations , charge i dunno 15 pound a resume. (of course spelling and grammar have to be upto scratch)

Many people do this.

or build a website.... but I mean BUILD a website, myspace home pages are not building a website.

took me about 6 months slef tuaght learning to learn HTML CSS and basic scripting...

...but I am not interested enough to continue learning harder serverside scripting and the so forth.

...I actually did go to school to learn programming , I did for about 3 months before giving up (too boring, and it was nothing I couldn't learn myslef)

If I were you , get a PC off the street and donload Linux - If your intersted after that, then go to school.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 8:23 am

Working as a programmer or something similar is for most people I know not the result of studying IT. But the result of studying something technical or logical and being schooled at the job.

Working with an IT company has the advantage of being able to follow (small) courses. When you are doing the job on your own, this is more difficult. But it can be nice way to raise money for other things.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 8:53 am

I make a full time living from affiliate marketing.

Google sends me around $2000 a month plus many commissions from Ebay, Clickbank, Amazon and other companies.

The idea is that you make websites or blogs on a certain topic and put Google ads and affiliate links on them.

The beauty of this is that you don't have to talk to anyone. You could live in a yert in Mongolia but if you have an internet connection you can do it.

Xs142
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jun 2009, 9:14 am

I've failed my univ courses for three years now, and the 3 year Secondary school took 7 years and I jumped off twice and got into a special school before getting through.

I can't imagine doing anything else still,
the AS community is the very definition of the meaning "You won't love what you do until you do what you love."
I tend to fail at the same month every year and it's not easy to get the funding for it but I'm lucky to have it.
My only failure at Univ is the group exercises, programming can't have too much there now can it?

For what it's worth I've gone through all this, failed and failed again, however I just last week read in half the years course in 3 days and aced the exam there. When you get into your area of expertise you'll notice why your world is like it is.
I always hated school until I got to univ, now I can't imagine anything else. It's what I love and know.

miserylovescompany
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 9:19 am

First off I'm not after money! This is soley to see if I can finish something to the end. I've never been able to do it before.

I have hours of 'spare time', where I've taught myself most of the computer skills I have. I'm looking at furthering them at the moment, thats it. I don't really care what area of computing that is in.

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 9:30 am

do u have other interests like drawing?

or accounting?(you would have to be real Aspergian though)

maybe ashort course is the way to start -- at least u can finish it and then build up from their.

eg. Do a Adobe Photoshop course (may aswell you'll need it to do web design)
-or if ur better than that do one that u know u have no experience in like a MYOB course... if you can finish that, then u can pat urself on the back an move onto bigger an better things like Tech college or Uni.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 9:32 am

I have no great advice except for this....START SMALL.

Get into something that interests you on a small and limited scale. Most of the big things that overwhelmed me I deal with by breaking them into more manageable "bite size" portions.

Sounds like you need multiple positive experiences to start shifting your self-image about success and failure, so try and tilt the odds in your favor by making realistic goals at first.

miserylovescompany
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 9:38 am

Yeah I think so too, I'm not thinking more than perhaps one day a week atm.

Xs142

02 Jun 2009, 9:45 am

miserylovescompany wrote:
First off I'm not after money! This is soley to see if I can finish something to the end. I've never been able to do it before.

I have hours of 'spare time', where I've taught myself most of the computer skills I have. I'm looking at furthering them at the moment, thats it. I don't really care what area of computing that is in.

I wouldn't be into neuroscientifical research if I was in it for the money either,
my point on funding was just that I can actually study at all,
otherwise it's out in the world and get some dead-end job just to get food on the table.

I'd go for studies if I were you,
the things you know will go fast and the things you don't will be interesting and, hey, no geography!