Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 1:30 pm

Hi,

I have been wanting to arainge a meet up at Bletchley Park for some time and have procrastinated over it for about 2 years now. 28-June-2009 there is a classic car and motorbike picnic which if my classic car is not broken I really want to go to.

Although I cannot arrange a party from London (or elsewhere for that matter) I know one or to might like to meet with me there the rail service from London is good and Bletchley Park is a VERY interesting place.
see: http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/

and for the picnic event:
http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/calenda ... cID=567854

Feel free to PM me if you feel like going.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 11:36 am

I would LOVE to go there, but currently i cannot.

And if i go there, i will go there for other reasons than watching cars. There are WAY more interesting things to see in the barracks at Bletchley Park, things that they had to keep secret from "ze germans" during WW2:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pbluu56ULU[/youtube]

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 3:05 pm

I did mention something like a VERY interesting place.
I have been before but the Bombe rebuild had not been completed I will have to take a good look at that :)
There is not a single exhibit that is to be missed every aspect is fascinating.

EarlPurple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2009, 9:15 am

My car is not classic although 1999 was the last year for Punto GTs. And Milton Keynes is a long journey on a Piaggio Vespa, particularly as I can't use the M1 and would have to use the A5 although it would be an interesting experience.

At least you've set the date for a Sunday rather than a Saturday which gives me some chance of being able to go.

eyelesbarrow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2009, 9:51 am

i too would love to go there. unfortunately i'm on the other side of the world. *sigh*

amblerise
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jun 2009, 8:46 am

I'd love to see the famed park. I amateurishly admire the code breaking efforts and accomplishments that resulted in the development of a Bombe. The cryptographers of Benchley Park (as well as elsewhere) are among the greatest of history's unsung heroes. Bittersweet compensation is that I live near to the National Cryptological Museum at Fort Meade.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2009, 10:50 am

Be assured those of you who are not in the UK I will post my photos and write a bit about the place, it is a place that is quite special.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 3:38 pm

Aw heck, I might just come along. I don't live in MK anymore but I'm still quite close to Bletchley. The park is really interesting, I have been there once before. I really want to see the new computer exhibition. Plus I like old cars!

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 4:24 am

Jellybean wrote:
Aw heck, I might just come along. I don't live in MK anymore but I'm still quite close to Bletchley. The park is really interesting, I have been there once before. I really want to see the new computer exhibition. Plus I like old cars!

I am more than happy to see you there :)

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 3:54 pm

I've asked the carers at my house and they think I'll be able to go. I'll pop into some of the shops as well!

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 1:58 pm

Just got back home.

Had a great day!
:) :) :)

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 2:08 pm

Cool! I went there too, but I didn't see you... Oh well. I still had a great day out! I spent so much time in the computer exhibition (that wasn't there last time I went!)

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 2:30 pm

iceb wrote:
Just got back home.

Had a great day!
:) :) :)

Oh iceb, I had always wanted to go with you but I didn't see the ad on here :cry:

Glad you had a good time anyway, good to see you yesterday after so long :D

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 9:07 am

Well my photos of the day out are here:
Classic Car and Motorcycle Picnic at Bletchley Park.

I had a great time but it was a bit crowded as the place is now very popular Last time I went must have been over 10 years ago and it was not near anything like as busy. That said I still had a great time and went on the guided tour which is well worthwhile. I was very lucky to get on one where the guide was a remarkable lady called Ruth who had been a Bombe operator there during the war.

I still did not get around half of what I wanted to see and was there all day from 10:30 to 17:00

I will be going again :)

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 9:14 am

Jellybean wrote:
Cool! I went there too, but I didn't see you... Oh well. I still had a great day out! I spent so much time in the computer exhibition (that wasn't there last time I went!)

Pity we did not meet but I did not hang about near my car much there are just too many interesting things to see and do.

The computer exhibition is also fantastic you the ethos has always been to have it hands on and you can run programs and play games on many of the exhibits
the second page of my photographs shows some of them.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 5:56 pm

looks like you had a fantastic day iceb :D :D :D