80% of aspies fail out/unemployed after 4+years of college

Page 8 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

JeanCunniff
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jul 2017, 10:07 am

Wow! I knew, that many people fail out from college, but don't think that "many" make up to 80% 8O

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 9:40 pm

Wow! I knew, that many people fail out from college, but don't think that "many" make up to 80% 8O
________________________________________________________________________________________

where did you get the 80% number?

a lot of students might have undiagnosed or undisclosed autism. furthermore not getting a diagnosis might make it easier to flunk out of college, in that they do not qualify for testing accommodations.

what geographic area (city, state) does that 80 percent apply to?

seriously though. among the precious lil "people" that i have interacted with, a disproportionate number of students that seemed (to me) to have a lot of autism symptoms, majored in STEM. especially computer science.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 10:26 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
seriously though. among the precious lil "people" that i have interacted with, a disproportionate number of students that seemed (to me) to have a lot of autism symptoms, majored in STEM. especially computer science.

You'll find them all over in college: music, arts, social sciences, etc. Pretty much any discipline that rewards pattern recognition and reconstruction you'll find autistics, and that's pretty much every field of study. Most higher functioning autistics don't have problems with the actual courses they take, they have social issues at school that effect their performance, or social issues that hurt their job prospects after earning said degree.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 4:55 pm

My college days are soo over. I left nine years ago and haven't looked back since. Tell a lie, I got my reimbursement back then moved forward, or so I thought. The barbershop let me down so in the end, and a dead end retail job was already on the cards, before that also went downhill.
Got to find a placement somewhere that fits, so evertually so that i can get a certificate to work in a school.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 9:14 pm

You'll find them all over in college: music, arts, social sciences, etc. Pretty much any discipline that rewards pattern recognition and reconstruction you'll find autistics, and that's pretty much every field of study. Most higher functioning autistics don't have problems with the actual courses they take, they have social issues at school that effect their performance, or social issues that hurt their job prospects after earning said degree.
___________________________________________________________________________________

autistics major in a wide variety of college majors. (fine). but they are disproportionately represented in STEM, especially computer science. but whatever. i can't cite a study. it's just based on my nonrepresentative experience.

yeah and i had problems with the courses that i took. starting from the first undergrad level calculus, and physics. every structural engineering class, i had trouble with. with the exception of the first one. every mechanical engineering class, i had trouble with.

cognitive science, had trouble with the neuroscience/neuroanatomy. mostly. the other classes were not particularly hard.

got one B+ in the whole Cognitive Science BA. that was my highest grade.

but maybe i ain't a higher functioning autist.

when i was 21, the neuropsychiatrist gave me a DSM Axis V: Global Area Functioning score. 65 out of 100. 100 the best.

yeah and i had social issues at school too. for example, never found anyone that was willing to share a room with me. had to live with strangers. some of those strangers were homophobic.

and after school had problems getting jobs.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 8:15 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
i had social issues at school too. for example, never found anyone that was willing to share a room with me. had to live with strangers and after school had problems getting jobs.

You can't really blame us for trying though. Yeah, social issues have a vast impact on mental structures that require the routine infrastructure so much so, you're constantly running after it tryig to make an impact on all who've lied and said bad things about you. In the end, you think, what's the point in trying to adapt to please the masses?
If you can do it, great, if you want to shut yourself off from other people, your choice, if you want to create a more modern human existence for places and causes you hold dear, go right on and do it.
If again, no one wants to hear you embrace it, it would be their choice to go back on their morals.

Cardia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Aug 2017, 9:53 pm

This does not surprise me at all. My uni has ZERO disability scholarship opportunities or clubs. The general bursary did not ask about disability, but instead asked pretty much exclusively about minority status or financial need. At this point I have had to re-take take three courses in the past due to lack of support from the uni during my mental health crises - and will have to re-take another, unless I drop out... but I'm more than half way done my degree, I just want to get it over with and figure my life out...

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 9:59 pm

Cardia wrote:
This does not surprise me at all. My uni has ZERO disability scholarship opportunities or clubs. The general bursary did not ask about disability, but instead asked pretty much exclusively about minority status or financial need. At this point I have had to re-take take three courses in the past due to lack of support from the uni during my mental health crises - and will have to re-take another, unless I drop out... but I'm more than half way done my degree, I just want to get it over with and figure my life out...

______________________________________________________________________________________

some of the "disability scholarship opportunities" come from outside the school.

besides, where does that number "80%" come from?

among the diagnosed? what about the undiagnosed?

and what is the corresponding number, for NTs?

especially after the 2008 recession, plenty of college graduates (bachelors, masters) do not have jobs or work at jobs that do not require degrees. especially social science and humanities majors. baristas at starbucks. NTs and autistics.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 10:13 pm

Learning2Survive wrote:
They should go into paraprofessional work such as HVAC techs, mechanics, hospital assistants, computer techs, low level IT techs or interns, and so on.

They should? Why? Personally, I couldn't do a job that was in any sense "technical", because I just don't have what it takes: I'm not technically-minded, I've always struggled with maths, and have always been far better at subjects like English and History.

Don't propagate the lie that all of us "Aspies" are great with numbers, and computers, and all of the rest of that boring stuff. We're not, we're all different.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 9:42 am

Lintar wrote:
Learning2Survive wrote:
They should go into paraprofessional work such as HVAC techs, mechanics, hospital assistants, computer techs, low level IT techs or interns, and so on.

They should? Why? Personally, I couldn't do a job that was in any sense "technical", because I just don't have what it takes: I'm not technically-minded, I've always struggled with maths, and have always been far better at subjects like English and History.

Don't propagate the lie that all of us "Aspies" are great with numbers, and computers, and all of the rest of that boring stuff. We're not, we're all different.

The solar system contains plenty of autistics

Any statement referring to a large group as "they" has to have exceptions

What someone "should" do is subjective

However, it appears, in my nonrepresentative sample size, that a disproportionate number of autistics are software engineers or long term unemployed. Especially the ones with bachelor degree or higher

Having said that I wish that I trained for one of those jobs

But "that was then and this is now"

And I am 34 and right now I am much stupider, physically weaker, mentally slower, emotionally fragile financially broke, socially awkward than i was when I was 18

In other words I am too far gone

Improvement ain't happening

It is a balance between being practical and being ideal

When I was young I was too ideal in my actions and statements

And got a lot of large punishments

Now that I am old I am too cowardly and lazy to take risks

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 4:38 pm

Wow. I didn't realise your life had been ruined that badly. What happened to you?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 2:55 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Wow. I didn't realise your life had been ruined that badly. What happened to you?

Thus far, nothing too unusual or extreme

Just the usual homophobic precious lil "people" telling me off

Social rejection, chronic and intense.

Some physical assault but nobody attempted to physically injure, rape, or exterminate me. Thus far. Otherwise they would have been successful. Because they outnumber, overpower, and outsmarted me

San Diego was so homophobic in 2004 when I started Gender Therapy

After that I moved somewhere less homophobic. Where I live now almost everyone completely ignores me usually

And that is "As Good As it Gets"

Fourth undergraduate year flunked out Structural Engineering

And I am still trying and failing to just get over it. And move on

And et cetera

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 7:12 pm

Lintar wrote:
Learning2Survive wrote:

Had I known over 40 years ago about the autism spectrum, I would have never gone to college. Here I sit now, pushing 60, with almost $100k in personal, medical and student loan debt. I bought into the lie that I could make a difference by getting a degree, financially, socially, and aesthetically. Instead, I sit alone in a small bedroom, broke (save for what little pittance I get on SSDI), on the verge of another meltdown, with damn few friends that I consider to be close, and completely estranged from family. I've been told, more than once, autism or no, you sh!t in your bed, now you can lie in it, because 1) autism is a fake disorder, 2) bipolar is a fake disorder 3)PTSD is a fake disorder, and I'm nothing more than a lazy-assed antisocial motherf!cker who doesn't deserve to live. Doesn't matter how hard I worked in college, or the numerous jobs I've had out of college, doesn't matter I burned out of every professional job I held, I'm still a an arrogant, antisocial lazy-assed motherf!cker who doesn't deserve to live. It's to the point now that I'm living down to everyone's expectations just to make them feel good. In short You're OK, I'm not OK, I never was OK, and never will be Ok, no matter how hard I try.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 10:02 pm

Had I known over 40 years ago about the autism spectrum, I would have never gone to college. Here I sit now, pushing 60, with almost $100k in personal, medical and student loan debt. I bought into the lie that I could make a difference by getting a degree, financially, socially, and aesthetically. Instead, I sit alone in a small bedroom, broke (save for what little pittance I get on SSDI), on the verge of another meltdown, with damn few friends that I consider to be close, and completely estranged from family. I've been told, more than once, autism or no, you sh!t in your bed, now you can lie in it, because 1) autism is a fake disorder, 2) bipolar is a fake disorder 3)PTSD is a fake disorder, and I'm nothing more than a lazy-assed antisocial motherf!cker who doesn't deserve to live. Doesn't matter how hard I worked in college, or the numerous jobs I've had out of college, doesn't matter I burned out of every professional job I held, I'm still a an arrogant, antisocial lazy-assed motherf!cker who doesn't deserve to live. It's to the point now that I'm living down to everyone's expectations just to make them feel good. In short You're OK, I'm not OK, I never was OK, and never will be Ok, no matter how hard I try.[/quote]
__________________________________________________________________________________________

did not get diagnosed until age 21. however, if i were not to have been having problems with Structural Engineering at UCSD, then i never would have gone to get tested. thus i never would've gotten diagnosed. unless, of course, then gender therapist did it.

however, if i had the diagnosis when i was under 18, could've gotten SAT testing accommodations. and Regional Center services. and school accommodations.

sometimes someone had the nerve to tell me that i was not autistic. too many misconceptions.

some of them act like just b/c autism is not physically visible, it must not be real.

SixthTitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2017, 9:20 am

Well... I guess that I must be the 1% then because I already had jobs long before I even graduated
And I am about to start working again and I graduate in 4 semesters with honors.

david963
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Oct 2017, 6:07 am

I relatively wish an extraordinarily first-rate of success to the staff for the finals. This is particularly an informative and top notch blog to see, thanks for sharing this type of notable web publication.