Page 4 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 10:00 am

It's not meant to be read and understood by everybloodybody. The deaf and blind (aka stony or semi-fertile ground) will never be able to appreciate it.

the end.

sorry if that sound elitist, but that's just the way it is. tough.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 11:09 am

Postperson wrote:
It's not meant to be read and understood by everybloodybody. The deaf and blind (aka stony or semi-fertile ground) will never be able to appreciate it.

the end.

So, to put it bluntly, you are a Calvinist?

Shadowgirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2009, 4:05 pm

Postperson wrote:

the end.

Actually I know blind people and deaf people who understand it maybe better then I do.

Does God Exist? Here is proof he does.
http://www.everystudent.com/features/is ... 2godMANp2w

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 4:15 pm

Henriksson wrote:
Postperson wrote:

the end.

yes. you could describe me as that.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 4:17 pm

Shadowgirl wrote:
Postperson wrote:

the end.

Actually I know blind people and deaf people who understand it maybe better then I do.

Well that's very possible, the bible uses the 'deaf and blind' as a metaphor, it doesn't mean actual deaf/blind.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 4:37 pm

Postperson wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
Postperson wrote:

the end.

yes. you could describe me as that.

Of course, YOUR personal interpretation of the bible must be correct. Let's ignore all the other ones.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 7:15 pm

i don't think that, i'm interested in others interpretations.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 1:49 am

Pakled's 1st law (if I may be so bold...;)

If you have a big enough book
with enough words in it
you can say whatever you like...;)

holds true for most scripture, books, vedas, suras, and whatevahs...;)

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 2:02 am

Orwell wrote:
cognito wrote:
the sheer number of verisons and edits that have taken place render it a farce of its original self.

Evidence please? The Bible has been transmitted quite accurately through the centuries.

The originals no longer exist, so comparing them to the modern versions and the various translations will be impossible unless and until those originals are located...

cognito
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2009, 5:58 pm

pakled wrote:
Pakled's 1st law (if I may be so bold...;)

If you have a big enough book
with enough words in it
you can say whatever you like...;)

holds true for most scripture, books, vedas, suras, and whatevahs...;)

true, and using a bible as evidence makes little sense, go read L Ron Hubbard's bible, aka, Dianetecs and then tell me its a valid system.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 7:00 am

jrknothead wrote:
Orwell wrote:
cognito wrote:
the sheer number of verisons and edits that have taken place render it a farce of its original self.

Evidence please? The Bible has been transmitted quite accurately through the centuries.

The originals no longer exist, so comparing them to the modern versions and the various translations will be impossible unless and until those originals are located...

Why would the originals no longer existing be a problem? The originals of Shakespeare don't exist anymore either.

Talking about the number of translations is rather silly, kind of like saying we don't know what was originally in War and Peace, because it's been translated into many different languages.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 4:47 pm

Today, I checked out all the books in my house, and also noticed the amounts of bibles. Turns out there are five of them, in a family where nobody believes in god. One of them looked more old than the others. It was rather small compared to the others, too. The cover was all black, with the title saying 'BIBELN' and with no further decoration than a cross on the backside. The pages had a slightly reddish appearance to them, and the language was quite old-fashioned. I inquired my father about the origin of the book, and he answered that it was my grandfather's bible. I also asked whether grandfather believed in god when he was alive, and the answer was that he didn't.

On a related note, I also found a bible that had images and stuff, in an attempt to make it fit in the modern world. It would be amusing, if it wasn't so sad...

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 4:54 pm

Henriksson wrote:
Today, I checked out all the books in my house, and also noticed the amounts of bibles. Turns out there are five of them, in a family where nobody believes in god.
That is not surprising. One does not have to believe in God to have an interest in the Bible or religion. In fact, I have seen a couple of atheist on this forum who appear much more well studied and versed on the Bible and the history of Christianity than the many of the Christians I have encountered in real life.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 6:16 pm

I actually tried reading Duiretic...er Dianetics. Got to about page 28...;) Was afraid my face would freeze into an eternal 'hanh!?'...;)

cognito
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 11:26 am

pakled wrote:
I actually tried reading Duiretic...er Dianetics. Got to about page 28...;) Was afraid my face would freeze into an eternal 'hanh!?'...;)

there is my point, you holy book says something doesn't make it valid for proof, take scientology, they think some alien overlord (Xenu) bainished criminals to earth (Transported in DC 8 looking things), hid them in volcanoes and blew them up with hydrgen bombs and now those criminal souls inhabit humans (Thetans).