How do you score on the Autism-Spectrum Quotient test?

Page 1 of 13 [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

NicksQuestions
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jun 2009, 4:53 am

I am curious how everyone does on this: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

untrained-aspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jun 2009, 6:40 am

I scored 32, and I have Asperger syndrome with 2 of the rare opposite ends of the spectrum: I crave affection rather than shy away from it, and I shy away from eye contact rather than make direct eye contact. Also, my specialty is English grammar and punctuation. I absolutely suck at math, logic, and chemistry. So...that probably made a big difference in my score.

But...give me Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel/Bones/Torchwood DVDs or fanfiction or hand me a book with listings of names, and I'll be occupied for hours. :-)

Because no one else will.

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2009, 6:58 am

Defo AS, but my diagnosis papers were already a big clue. :lol: :D
Still fun to do though, I LOVE filling in forms. (I wonder if that's another AS thing?)

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 7:09 am

It depends.

If I take the questions and examples literally, take words such as 'like' and 'prefer' literally and forget about how these questions relate to AS symptoms, then I score a 22.

If I actually consider what's meant by the questions as well as transfer the examples into more realistic scenarios for me and equate words such as 'like' and 'prefer' to 'need to' and 'have to', then I score a 41.

Saja
Raven
Raven

03 Jun 2009, 7:17 am

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 7:18 am

44 today..

MysteryChild
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jun 2009, 7:29 am

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2009, 8:07 am

I scored 36. I have been casually diagnosed as PDD-NOS by my psychartist as a response when I suggested Asperger's. So I think I am 'on the spectrum'. Is it possible I am not 'on the spectrum' and just identify with so many things here?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 8:28 am

it is easy to see how the test is framed. someone could easily choose the answers that they know will correspond to autistic or non autistic answers. so if someone wanted to fool themselves they are autistic, then they will be biased to choose the obvious choice for each question because it IS obvious. there is only one question that was not obvious.
that was the one that said "If there is an interruption, I can switch back to what I was doing very quickly." i do not know about that one.

if there is a mild interruption like a short telephone call, then it does not phase me because i never engage my mind in the call, and so as soon as i hang up, i snap back to what i was doing immediately without any thought for the call.

but if it is a major interruption like having to drive to the office to fix an emergency, then i will have great difficulty in resuming my affairs when i return home. so i answered "no" to that but i am not sure.

the only 2 that i know i answered in a way that is not supposed to be "autistic" was that i am NOT fascinated by dates, and i DO have trouble remembering peoples birthdays (i am not interested in that data so it goes in one ear and out the other).

even though i could tell my score was rising by selecting my choices, i answered honestly.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 9:10 am

b9 wrote:
that was the one that said "If there is an interruption, I can switch back to what I was doing very quickly." i do not know about that one.

It's popular in AS literature actually too.

Supposedly, interruptions of especially routines but also the special interests disturb a person with AS in some way that is obviously abnormal (marked distress, aggression, retreat (and others) that all lead to that a person can't continue doing what they did before quickly.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 9:34 am

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 9:54 am

First time I took it, back in December, I scored 34.
I took it some weeks later and it was 36.
Today it was 40.

I am undiagnosed AS, but certain I have it.

People I know who are NT have taken it and score in the low 20's.

I think this is a fairly valid test, although the questions obviously lead to one extreme or the other, so awareness of this may alter the responses.

I have autistic traits. There is no doubt about that.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 9:57 am

The interruption question bugged me, too. I don't necessarily like interruptions, but I think I'm usually very patient with them. But then the folks at work have taken to apologizing profusely when they interrupt me while I'm doing something else, so maybe I'm not controlling my reactions as well as I thought.

Regards,

Patricia

Saja
Raven
Raven

03 Jun 2009, 10:01 am

Interrupt me while I'm vacuuming? No problem. Not hard to get back to.

Interrupt me while I'm thinking about something? Hard to get back to. But who doesn't have that problem?

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 10:02 am

37. I was quite surprised as while I was doing it it felt like a lot of my answers were "non-autistic."

The year is still young.

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2009, 11:21 am

there are actually different AQ tests for Adolescents, Children, and Adults

http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/tests/default.asp

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD