Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

InZane
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jan 2006, 7:32 am

I wanted to see how many fellow WP people were into electronic music, more specifically trance, house, techno, etc. and to have a thread where we can discuss without hearing the music being labelled monotonous and droning.

Therefore, this thread will be all about the afore-mentioned genres,and various others, within the electronic music framework. Favourite artists, tracks, albums and album reviews, etc. are all appreciated.

We can start off by mentioning what got us started onto electronic music.

For me personally, I had no particular tastes earlier on and was listening to basically what was playing on the radio, though I liked Ace of Base and a few other artists. Then, in 2000, I picked up a copy of The Best Dance Album in the World, EVER!! 2000 and listened to it, seeing if anything worthwhile was included in it. Fortunately for me, this album had tracks like
ATB - Don't Stop
Chicane - Saltwater
Basement Jaxx - Dance & Shout
Fatboy Slim - Right Here Right Now
This got me started right there and then. As ATB and Chicane are both on the milder end of the trance spectrum I yearned for something harder, and while listening to live mixing on the radio on weekends here in the UAE, SASH!! and a few other artists caught my ear, and thus my fascination with electronic music grew and with albums like Ministry of Sound Annuals, I was kept well supplied with a wide range of dance, techno and trance.

Energy 52 - Cafe del Mar would rank as one of my all-time favourite trance songs for its simplicity and constant vibe.

nebula
Raven
Raven

14 Jan 2006, 8:29 am

I have to say that electronic music has been president throughout most of my life, In the 80's it was synth, then it was hip hop and gangster rap and then there was the begining of digital, hardware electronica. In the uk we had the rave scene, a really raw period for electronic music. Mind you unfortuntly it had some bad press with the media concerning drugs and stuff which meant that I wouldnt have risked visting a rave. I spent years buying rave tapes and vinyl.

I then back tracked and found some genius electronic artists. 1st one Kraftwerk (not great though (1980's) 2nd (Aphex Twin/AFX) 3rd (Squarepusher) too name just a few. I really enjoy listening to Intelligent Dance Music. I also like the techno, trance, drum and bass, jungle, ambient, garage, downbeat the list could go on.

I have recently been using software music studio's such has fruityloops and Reason 3 to create music. I found using reason to be quite difficult but fruityloops is fun. You can add vst Virtual synths to the software which can be tweaked and all sorts. I havn't made any songs yet because I prefer the tweaking music in real time.

If you like patterns and stuff you should love creating dance music using fruityloops you can download a demo version from http://www.flstudio.com/English/frames.html if you havn't touched already that is.

Electronica has got a long way to go and still isnt appreciated by the so called modern world yet. Personally the physical drum is dead compared to virtual synth drum.

wandrew
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2006, 6:53 pm

I'm old school when it comes to electronic music--names like Morton Subotnick, Kraftwerk, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Tonto's Expanding Head Band, Wendy Carlos, Larry Fast (Synergy). Those are my favorites.

However, I've listened to a bit of the electronic techno/trance/etc. scene, and what I've heard (Rabbit in the Moon, Moby, Aphex Twin) I like a lot. One artist--don't know the name--took Jim Morrison's vocal track for "Hello, I Love You" and mated it to a hella powerful dance track.

A UK group I like a lot is Magnetophone, because of their use of analog synths to make modern music. Also my friend Rupert Chappelle from Maryland (http://www.irupert.com/) who often collaborates with his friend Art Harrison on theremin.

pemdasi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jan 2006, 6:55 am

I make electronic music, but don't really listen to a lot of it. I guess that's kind of odd.

When I do, it's usually random vocal trance to zone out and code to, stuff like aphex twin if I'm in the mood to listen to it. I used to like digital hardcore a lot, but haven't really listened to any of it in a while. Industrial is always a good standby, also.

Nebula: Glad you mentioned hip-hop as an electronic genre, it's something most people don't think about.