Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Goren
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Dec 2009, 2:10 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
Goren wrote:
I am using Ubuntu. I try to avoid non-FOSS as much as I can, but some pieces of non-free software are just unavoidable - most notably, Flash and JDK I use for my work. Also, rar and mp3 codecs are essential, as well as some other non-free media codecs.

Flash should be going away sooner or later. html 5 will allow people to use other formats.

Like what? The only thing that more or less does the same job is silverlight, but it is hardly any better, even though Moonlight seems to be in slightly better state than Gnash.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 7:01 pm

Goren wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
Goren wrote:
I am using Ubuntu. I try to avoid non-FOSS as much as I can, but some pieces of non-free software are just unavoidable - most notably, Flash and JDK I use for my work. Also, rar and mp3 codecs are essential, as well as some other non-free media codecs.

Flash should be going away sooner or later. html 5 will allow people to use other formats.

Like what? The only thing that more or less does the same job is silverlight, but it is hardly any better, even though Moonlight seems to be in slightly better state than Gnash.

This explains. You've got your head wrapped around the idea that you need a plug in to play video in a browser. It wont be so true anymore.
http://diveintohtml5.org/video.html

Goren

08 Dec 2009, 8:04 pm

I know about <video> tag, thank you. Actually, I was one of the first people to test it with Minefield 3.5 when it just appeared. But there's a lot more to flash than Youtube and such, and most of this functionality has no alternate solutions.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 8:32 pm

Keith wrote:
Dual booting is so 2008 ;) 8)

I use Wine to play Unreal Tournament 2004 and Quake3 Arena. openGL is so cool :)

Did you know that those two games are readily available for Linux users. They were originally Linux only games until they were ported to Windows and Mac. I play those all the time without Wine.

I use Ubuntu and only Ubuntu on my laptop as it is sufficient for my schoolwork. If I need to use Windows, I'll just fire up VirtualBox or boot into Windows 7 on my desktop

Goren

24 Dec 2009, 6:39 am

I don't remember having to use windows for anything during the last 4 years. Everything I ever needed runs just fine in linux. I am still saddened by the fact I have to use non-free software though.

svend_sved
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2009, 12:58 pm

i use an Atrch Linux system, but i use the nonfree Nvdia drivers and adobe's Flash plugin for firefox. Other than that i'm free as in freedom

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 2:36 pm

svend_sved wrote:
i use an Atrch Linux system, but i use the nonfree Nvdia drivers and adobe's Flash plugin for firefox. Other than that i'm free as in freedom

I try the gnash flash viewer every time i install.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 10:12 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
I try the gnash flash viewer every time i install.

And it hasn't worked yet.

If you only use flash for Youtube, there is Minitube to view Youtube videos without flash.

lxuser
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Dec 2009, 1:06 am

I am using Fedora 12 with KDE 4.3.3. I try to FOSS as much as possible, I don't go to extremes like Stallman that everything has to be free including trade marks. The only proprietary software I am using is Nvidia display drivers, Adobe flash and Adobe reader.

Before you bag me about using KDE 4.X.X, 4.3.3 is most likely the best release of the of the KDE 4.X.X series yet. I mainly use GNOME but I thought I may as well try out KDE.

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2010, 9:56 am

Goren wrote:
<snip>...but <snip> Flash and JDK I use for my work.<snip>

Ok, I only want to mention about JDK or OpenJDK. In Ubuntu OpenJDK was available since 8.04 "Hardy Heron" and I tested it eagerly as I was mapping for OpenStreetMap using JOSM (a java OSM editor).

lxuser wrote:
<snip>I don't go to extremes like Stallman that everything has to be free including trade marks.<snip>

Link and quote available?

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 12:51 am

Fuzzy wrote:
This explains. You've got your head wrapped around the idea that you need a plug in to play video in a browser. It wont be so true anymore.
http://diveintohtml5.org/video.html

Flash is more than just codecs though. You'll at least need svg to replace the animations. And svg development tools is no where near as mature as flash.