Does time actually exist or is it just a human invention?

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 6:43 pm

claire333 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
The oscillators would oscillate (they are real) but what of the relationship between oscillator cycles and other events. Are relations real, or are they mental constructs? I think that is the key to the question.
Ah, I see. The old...Does anything exist without the observer question?

Not quite. Particular things exist independent of sentient beings. I am talking about relationships that connect real particulars. Is the relationship real or is it a mental construct?

In a world without sentient beings trees exist. But do forests exist? Shoes exist but do pairs of shoes exist? Are relations observed or are they creations of the mind?

ruveyn

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 6:49 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Not quite. Particular things exist independent of sentient beings. I am talking about relationships that connect real particulars. Is the relationship real or is it a mental construct?

In a world without sentient beings trees exist. But do forests exist? Shoes exist but do pairs of shoes exist? Are relations observed or are they creations of the mind?

Why stop there? Why do trees exist? Isn't "tree" just a relationship among cells? Cells relationships among molecules? Although a higher order interpretation might seem clearer in the case of the tree, such a lumpy view need not be taken, and if you do take it, why doesn't it work for ecosystems?

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 6:52 pm

ruveyn wrote:

My apologies; I am often poor with analogies. If the processes are real and the events are real, how would the relation between the two not be real?

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 7:37 pm

ruveyn wrote:
claire333 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
The oscillators would oscillate (they are real) but what of the relationship between oscillator cycles and other events. Are relations real, or are they mental constructs? I think that is the key to the question.
Ah, I see. The old...Does anything exist without the observer question?

well, I think the relations given to things observed can be regarded as human constructs, given that humans do abstractions of things they observe and experience.

What is a tree in the first place, how and why we tend to identify or name a tree from different objects, why a tree is called a tree rather than something else?
"t-h-r-e-e" what does that mean, how come a tree is also a 'arbre'?

If humans or sentient beings never existed would a tree be still a tree?

Would forests ever be beautiful if humans never existed?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 11:12 am

Time through a tunnel topic

I am reading a very good book by Dan Falk entitled In Search of time. Ruveyn et al in this forum have raised interesting points i am now encountering in this timely tome.

I might also add that what ever the notion of time is, we humans have altered it by our presence, just as by existing we have changed space (notwithstanding gravity and other forces influencing matter and energy).

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo