Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

misfit24_7
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2006, 11:28 am

Hi,

Kinda of new to this site. I have been reading many posts with the initials "NT" used. I know what it is in reference to, but what does the letters actually stand for. I tried to figure this out myself, embarrased to say I couldn't.

can often behave in an unpredictable manner.

alex
Developer
Developer

15 Jan 2006, 11:35 am

neurotypical.

tracylynn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2006, 12:41 pm

Does NT just refer to people who are not on the autism spectrum? Or is there a wider definition?

Crucible
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jan 2006, 1:49 pm

I am not sure about this, but it would seem that it would be referring to all people who fit the likely category of people. Whichever personality type has the highest probability of occuring would most likely be someone who is NT. People with other personality disorders would also not be considered NT.

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2006, 2:00 pm

I think that it is used both ways. Some people use it to mean "not on the autism spectrum" while others use it to refer to those with no neurological deviations from that which is typical (whatever that means).

While I am unclear about the second definition, I think I prefer it. :lol:

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2006, 3:00 pm

tracylynn wrote:
Does NT just refer to people who are not on the autism spectrum? Or is there a wider definition?

The established definition of NeuroTypical is anyone not on the autism spectrum. That's the safest to assume.

It seems to have sprung up to replace "Normal". Rather than talking about "normal" people and autistics, we have neurotypicals and autistics, two mutually exclusive groups.

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe