Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 5:26 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
I've learned to take criticism from familiar AND/OR thoughtful people, who sometimes can yield quite the negative criticism. I'm often able to give the impression of a "we agree to disagree" sentiment to seek consensus.

Even though I've learned to avoid the drama king, and queen personalities, I can sometimes find criticism stemming from "emotions getting in the way" unsettling - even when it comes from thoughtful people.

One debate strategy I apply here is to respond by mentioning something like, "it's so irritating to see such a smart, reasonable, caring person let their "feelings get in the way" on such [insert specific (important) topics/concerns here which tend to spark debates]!" Another strategy is to sense that negative criticism, and well............"hard feelings" can often be two verrry different things!

More or less informally, I often reclaim an impression of consensus; that is the very consensus which is often in both our best interests! Most often, I sense indifference, and find it best to end debating.

ADDENDUM:

* Correction to above paragraph: More or less informally, I leave an impression of consensus; that is the very consensus which is often in both our best interests! Most often, I sense indifference in the perspectives of the other person(s), and hence that tacit understanding to end debating.

* Another related piece of wisdom, "we have to be our own harshest critic."

Yes, "I feel that both my debate skills, and acceptance of criticism alike needs a boost!"

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 3:46 am

Gimmethecreeps wrote:
I have a tremendous problem with any sort of criticism. Any kind of hint or correction and I fly into a spiral of self doubt and self hatred. Even on the internet when I'm corrected I just feel like deleting the whole account and calling it quits. I have actually done this before. I think it's harder on the web because I can't sense any kind of tone or point to a statement. Occasionally in real life I can calm down and listen but most of the time I just fly into a depressed state or else explode. My Wife, Mother and Father are the only ones I can even consider listening to or accepting what they have to say. But even that's not always true. I don't quite know what I'm looking for through this post but I "just wanted to share".

I don't know whether you would find this helpful, but you might want to Google "constructive criticism," which will bring up a lot of tutorials on how to give and receive constructive criticism. Most of the tutorials you'll find are on how to give constructive criticism, but here are some tutorials on how to receive it:

- How Can I Learn to Take Criticism Without Taking It Personally?
- 7 Tips That'll Help You Stop Taking Criticism So Personally (and Make it Easier to Move On)
- Taking Constructive Criticism Like a Champ
- 5 Tips for Gracefully Accepting Constructive Criticism
- How to Take Constructive Criticism Like a Professional

I don't know if you would find this helpful, but it might be a good idea for you to read tutorials on how to give constructive criticism, as well as on how to receive it. Perhaps thinking about constructive criticism from both vantage points might help to de-sensitize you?

MrsWiggles
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2019, 12:20 am

As an NT learning how to communicate, if I say something that comes across as criticism, how can I quickly amend the situation to get out of potential anger or hurt? Is it a matter of apologizing and clarification?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2019, 1:16 am

MrsWiggles wrote:
As an NT learning how to communicate, if I say something that comes across as criticism, how can I quickly amend the situation to get out of potential anger or hurt? Is it a matter of apologizing and clarification?

There's no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. Autistic people vary a lot in how we respond to criticism, as do NT's. But I would suggest that you Google "constructive criticism," which will bring up a lot of tutorials on how to give constructive criticism. I would suggest that you read a variety of tutorials on this topic and see if you can find approaches that will work well with your husband. See also one of the better online tutorials on assertiveness, How To Be Assertive Without Being Aggressive.