Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Rok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2009, 8:51 pm

Why do so many NT's obsess on fashion? Why can I not wear what feels good on me without being constantly riddiculed for my apparently questionable attire? If you don't like what I wear, don't look at me. I just don't understand it. I understand looking acceptable, and I do. My clothes aren't torn, faded, or falling apart, so why still do they constantly find an excuse to complain?

willa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 9:03 pm

Rok wrote:
My clothes aren't torn, faded, or falling apart, so why still do they constantly find an excuse to complain?

If you wore jeans that were torn faded and falling apart you would actually be more in style.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 9:11 pm

Appropriate dress is part of that NT secret language... it signals being part of the group, respect (No ripped jeans at the opera), status, power and sexuality.

Why? I think it's a tribal dress sort of impulse...

Rok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2009, 9:14 pm

willa wrote:
Rok wrote:
My clothes aren't torn, faded, or falling apart, so why still do they constantly find an excuse to complain?

If you wore jeans that were torn faded and falling apart you would actually be more in style.

Yes, if I cared about style. The point I was trying to prove was that they're not unacceptable, and they make me feel good wearing them. Isn't that good enough?

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 9:17 pm

Who's saying they aren't? Do you mean society in general, or is someone specifically telling you that you don't dress well enough?

Daniel09
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2009, 9:32 pm

I've experienced some issues in that area myself. I wore a big comfy orange shirt one day and now I'll never wear it again because my friends labeled me charizard for weeks. I don't wear a lot of my clothes because I'm afraid of ridicule, like my short white shirt. It's gay looking because of the style, I love it, but I'm afraid to wear it out of insecurity which I can work past, and people in general will look at me strange and make fun of me...

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 12:16 am

I understand your feelings. I had to approach the problem pretty logically, myself. Personally, I prefer bright-colored plain cotton T-shirts, button-down shirts and jeans with a natural waist. However, it's a simple fact of our reality that if I want to look like an adult and be taken seriously at work, I have to wear the right clothes for what I do. Think of it as wearing a uniform or costuming to play a part.

Basically, I looked at the fashion articles on the internet and in magazines, found things that weren't too obnoxious to me, went to the store and looked for something similar -- which is exactly what most people do, it just took me 40 years to figure it out. :lol: (This may be easier for women to do than men, because there seem to be more slideshows and articles devoted to women's career and casual fashions than there are to men's, but then I don't look for mens' fashion articles so there might be more out there than I know.) I paid attention to the details such as the way jackets fit at the waist or hem, how skirts are cut, what jewelry is shown being worn with what outfit, etc, so I'd know pretty much what I wanted when I walked in. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I get it wrong -- sometimes very, very wrong :oops: -- but usually it works out pretty well, and I can still wear my T-shirts and jeans on the weekends or when I'm on my own time.

Does it make any sense? Not really. Does it make a difference in day to day interaction? Yes. I've actually had people comment approvingly about my clothing at work and I've noticed a difference in the way they treat me on days when I don't put forth the effort.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Patricia

Ben_Shapiro
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jun 2009, 10:33 am

It just seems easier to me to own 7 of the same t shirt and and a jumper and two pairs of jeans, problem solved, you wear the same whatever you are doing.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 11:03 am

Ben_Shapiro wrote:
It just seems easier to me to own 7 of the same t shirt and and a jumper and two pairs of jeans, problem solved, you wear the same whatever you are doing.

Agreed, it's way easier. If you have clothes of different styles and colors, it can take forever to pick the right outfit. But the problem with duplicates is that people might assume that you're wearing the exact same clothes every day, and this might make them suspicious about your level of hygiene.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

EarlPurple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2009, 11:14 am

I just hate it when

1. Something horrible gets into "fashion" and everyone wears it anyway like they have no taste. Mostly women but often men too.

2. When you want to buy something that was fashionable not long ago eg last year and there are loads of people on the streets still wearing it but you can't find any shops selling it. They can't just give you a choice and let you choose what you want. There are loads of shops and they all seem to sell exactly the same. Seems like there's hardly a point having so many different shops there.

And to those women who are looking in the fashion magazines to see what to wear: Don't wear sandals or peep-toes. I don't care if they are the latest fad, they are horrible. Women got by fine on closed-toed pumps years ago.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 11:32 am

EarlPurple wrote:
I just hate it when

1. Something horrible gets into "fashion" and everyone wears it anyway like they have no taste. Mostly women but often men too.

Ditto. And people would put me down for the clean acceptable clothes I would wear ("boring") or my more fashionable gothy stuff ("weird" "s**t")? 8O Ok, forgive me. I shall go buy an overpriced acid yellow bubble skirt. :salut: Because you say so. Sarcasm lol

Ah, too dressy, too plain, I always used to get hassled for something. I don't think it's the clothes per se, it's more that certain kinds of people get angry if you do your own thing because they feel like they don't have the influence on your choices that they want. Or they just want an excuse to be mean. All so vair petty :shrug: Let's spell it 'Fascion', the people who try and make you follow it are 'Fashists' Image

I love having multiple items if I like the clothes enough. It should be obvious that you're clean even if your clothes look the same, but what I like to do is buy two or three of each thing I like. So that way I've got spares but I'm not constantly in the same outfit.

EarlPurple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2009, 12:29 pm

I don't think it's just the cleanness but if something makes you look good then you should still look good in it 2 years from now (assuming it's still in good condition) and it can't suddenly make you look ugly because it's no longer in fashion.

Similarly if it's ugly it's ugly, whether it's in fashion or not.

The main reason why I bought new suits during the last year was because I had lost weight and the old ones were too big for me. Not because I wanted more "fashionable" ones.

Barbarossa
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2009, 12:42 pm

I don't know s**t about fashion

I wear pants and shirts and usually a hat

Ben_Shapiro
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jun 2009, 2:55 pm

MathGirl wrote:
Ben_Shapiro wrote:

Agreed, it's way easier. If you have clothes of different styles and colors, it can take forever to pick the right outfit. But the problem with duplicates is that people might assume that you're wearing the exact same clothes every day, and this might make them suspicious about your level of hygiene.

But that would be making the assumption that I mind what people think of me, and anyone that asks about it would have it exlpained to them, at the moment I have school uniform and seven t shirts that are very similar and no one has ever questioned my hygiene.

Izzy_Dolphin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jun 2009, 3:36 pm

Fashion always confused me, yet another thing my mom hated... I'm small for my age, so I can often fit into kids clothes, but according to my mom they're "too babyish". But I don't like wearing things other than a T-shirt and Jeans and a fleece. I wear that almost every day and it works just fine. I don't understand why people put so much pride in their clothes. It seems like such a waste of money. Just think about how much money I have for college because I don't follow fashion.

EarlPurple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2009, 5:17 pm

I do care a lot about what people think of me. I'm older now though so I guess fashion matters less than it used to.